Movie SHAZAM! 4/5/19

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?

This is either going to be quite fun or fall completely flat on its face.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
So this is weird. He's got wallpaper from the 1970's, part of a weird trend of movies that can't seem to get their props and set design to match the timeframe.

He's got all kinds of Superman and Batman shit crammed into this little shelf, which makes it feel like this doesn't take place in the DCEU, but then there's a "Superman is Back" Daily Planet newspaper hung on the wall. (Really? What kid would fucking hang a newspaper on their wall? Where would they even get it?) And I think that Time magazine has the world engine from Man of Steel on it. Again...why would a kid have a Time magazine in 2018?

Do Batman and Superman license their own shit, or is this all just shit companies make? I guess you can buy a Donald Trump action figure, but...

Weird.

Pigdango

Donator
In some of the pictures, he looks ok. In others, he looks like this:

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
So this is weird. He's got wallpaper from the 1970's, part of a weird trend of movies that can't seem to get their props and set design to match the timeframe.

He's got all kinds of Superman and Batman shit crammed into this little shelf, which makes it feel like this doesn't take place in the DCEU, but then there's a "Superman is Back" Daily Planet newspaper hung on the wall. (Really? What kid would fucking hang a newspaper on their wall? Where would they even get it?) And I think that Time magazine has the world engine from Man of Steel on it. Again...why would a kid have a Time magazine in 2018?

Do Batman and Superman license their own shit, or is this all just shit companies make? I guess you can buy a Donald Trump action figure, but...

Weird.

A child can get a newspaper or a Time magazine from any corner store, 7-11, or hermit neighbor's lawn/mailbox. If a child is really into Superman, I can imagine them collecting images and stuff of him. Not every child is dependent on their mobile screen. Why a child would be into this Superman? I don't know. But I still say they will be retconned as the tykes who cell cammed Superman at the beginning of Justice League.

As for who makes the action figures, I have a couple of theories. (1) Chinese knock-offs; I think there was even a thing in the Netflix MCU or Agents of SHIELD where there were cheap Avengers toys. (2) Etsy! (3) Bruce Wayne owns the likeness rights and Wayne Enterprises produces the only officially licensed Justice League figures*. He has three warehouses full of Cyborg toys. The Doomsday figure is like the old TMNT Krang toy; it's more expensive but bigger and totally awesome. He's working with Amanda Waller to get the rights to the Suicide Squad.

* And considering how long he's been at being Batman, think about how many different Bat-outfits he can market. Sure, up until two years ago he was only a legend, and starting two years ago, he was a psychopathic murderer, but check out the sculpting.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Those foam muscles are awful. You can see the suit bunching up on them unnaturally.
I am withholding judgment until I understand the lore. As in, is that supposed to actually be his body, or is it purposely overly bulky because he has the mind of a child and that's how a child would imagine the comic book suit to be.

They could have picked a better picture though. You can take a lot of pictures.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Um...I thought Shazaam didn't act like a kid when grown.

I am withholding judgment until I understand the lore. As in, is that supposed to actually be his body, or is it purposely overly bulky because he has the mind of a child and that's how a child would imagine the comic book suit to be.

They could have picked a better picture though. You can take a lot of pictures.
It's supposed to be real. Shazaam is the avatar of a god.

Um...I thought Shazaam didn't act like a kid when grown.

It's supposed to be real. Shazaam is the avatar of a god.

I think it depends on what version of the character it is. From what I have seen of the television series from the 1970s', he acted mature.

But on the animated Justice League series, he was more like a "man-child". So maybe that's what they're going for in the movie.

Edit: I never read a Shazam comic book. But I have heard that one of the difficulties about that character, is trying to figure out how to write for him.

Last edited:

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
I think it depends on what version of the character it is. From what I have seen of the television series from the 1970s', he acted mature.

But on the animated Justice League series, he was more like a "man-child". So maybe that's what they're going for in the movie.

Edit: I never read a Shazam comic book. But I have heard that one of the difficulties about that character, is trying to figure out how to write for him.
That's my experience with Shazam too. He's a boy in a God's body. But he's a good boy who genuinely wants to do good. More Boy Scouty than Superman.

If Henry Carpenter from Book of Henry got Shazam powers, he'd be DCEU Superman.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
That's my experience with Shazam too. He's a boy in a God's body. But he's a good boy who genuinely wants to do good. More Boy Scouty than Superman.

If Henry Carpenter from Book of Henry got Shazam powers, he'd be DCEU Superman.
That was always my understanding of Shazam as well. He would be physically a fully grown man, but with a young teenagers mind, personality and all the goofy shit that goes with being a hormonal adolescent.

I remember a scene in one of the animated JL movies or the cartoon series where the rest of the league is giving him weird looks because he's all dorky about Wonder Woman's hotness.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Looks simple and fun, also really kid friendly, which is something DC really needs.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Despite the trying to make Toronto be Philly thing, I'm in.
Also, going back to the "where would he get a Time or a paper thing" I was one of those fucking dorks in elementary school that would actually read the paper, and Time had a thing when I was in HS that they'd just send a bunch to the history teacher. Again, being a fucking dork, I'd grab one every week for study hall reading.

Pigdango

Donator
Despite the trying to make Toronto be Philly thing, I'm in.
Also, going back to the "where would he get a Time or a paper thing" I was one of those fucking dorks in elementary school that would actually read the paper, and Time had a thing when I was in HS that they'd just send a bunch to the history teacher. Again, being a fucking dork, I'd grab one every week for study hall reading.
That was 30 years ago though.

Pigdango

Donator
Christ, this thread hasn't been bumped since July.

Anyway, here's a new trailer for anyone that cares:

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
I was sold when I was in Hall H last year and they showed their stuff. Looks stupid but in a good way.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
"I'm Batman"
"Get him, Batman!"

God dammit, I laughed.
It was funny, but even funnier is wondering where in the timeline of the DCEU they started producing large talking stand ups of mass murderer Batman.

And yes, it looks more like BTAS Batman than Batfleck plus there's a Cyborg toy and Wonder Woman Funko.

However, what I like best is that this is 100% the Anti-Man of Steel.