Movie SHAZAM! 4/5/19

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
How tied into the DCEU is it?
Here’s what I really liked about it. You don’t sit there asking “where the hell was Superman while all this was happening?” It is set in Philadelphia, and that helps. It felt as if they used a decent amount of the city, which makes it feel bigger and the characters feel smaller and the events less significant if that makes sense. Sure some crazy shit goes down, but there’s one moment in particular that really gives you that sense of how insignificant a couple of super powered people fighting in a giant city is. And of course you know anything that spits in the face of Man of Steel is aces in my book.

Superman and Aquaman are referenced as if they exist in the same world Shazam does, but aside from that it feels very self contained.

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple
Here’s what I really liked about it. You don’t sit there asking “where the hell was Superman while all this was happening?” It is set in Philadelphia, and that helps. It felt as if they used a decent amount of the city, which makes it feel bigger and the characters feel smaller and the events less significant if that makes sense. Sure some crazy shit goes down, but there’s one moment in particular that really gives you that sense of how insignificant a couple of super powered people fighting in a giant city is. And of course you know anything that spits in the face of Man of Steel is aces in my book.

Superman and Aquaman are referenced as if they exist in the same world Shazam does, but aside from that it feels very self contained.
That's really it I guess.

I'm no comic superfan but everything DC is making right now just sucks. WW was decent. I liked Gadot. Yeah, the voice was weird and I get it but Bale was better as Batman

LiddyRules

Speaking of which, Snyder has offered a surprisingly eloquent response to complaints about Batman murdering people.

Tldw

Fuck you, you're virgins, fuck you and yeah fuck you.

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
Speaking of which, Snyder has offered a surprisingly eloquent response to complaints about Batman murdering people.

Tldw

Fuck you Zack! Its still real to me dammit!

Pigdango

Donator

Tldw

I'm ok with his general ideas, but here are the main problems with what he said:

1) Fuck him for comparing himself to Alan Moore
2) If he wanted to tell a story about morally corrupt superheroes, then
2a) Be honest about that when you're pitching your movie to Warner Bros (He wasn't)
2b) Do what your hero Alan Moore did and create your own fucking heroes rather than corrupting existing ones.

Pigdango

Donator

Tldw

Also, did you see that Snyder admitted that he and Chris Terrio had no idea how and why to get Batman and Superman to stop fighting?

"It’s funny, because we, [screenwriter] Chris Terrio and I, we did reach that point in the movie, in our discussions... we knew how to get them to fight, right? But how do you get them to stop fighting?"

"That’s a tough one. And we sort of were just throwing down on their humanity and Batman realizes Superman has humanity, he’s not just a creature, he’s a man — he’s an alien, but he is as human as, in a lot of ways, he’s more human than him, right? He’s sort of embraced all the good parts of the human race, and so Batman’s able to sort of see, in a lot of ways, a thing that he is not. And I think that that was how we started to talk about it."

"That’s kind of how it started, and then we started to talk about how it could work, and if it was Lois (Amy Adams) that said it, maybe it’s better, it’s that kind of thing."

"Look, it’s a mythological construct, I have no problem with that part of it."
And here's the main problem - "He’s sort of embraced all the good parts of the human race, and so Batman’s able to sort of see, in a lot of ways, a thing that he is not."

When and where did Superman embrace all the good parts of the human race?

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
create your own fucking heroes rather than corrupting existing ones.
Leave Black Girl Iron Man, Asian Hulk, Girl Thor, Black Cap'n America, Black/Latino Spider Man, and Girl Wolverine out of this.

Pigdango

Donator
In other news, Shazam! made $3.3 million in it's Saturday sneak previews, topping Aquaman's $2.9 million haul. Now this might just be an indicator that my brother Fandango was better about getting the word out than Amazon Prime, but it could also mean Shazam is poised to deliver a much larger opening than the $45 million that current tracking indicates.

LiddyRules

I'm ok with his general ideas, but here are the main problems with what he said:

1) Fuck him for comparing himself to Alan Moore
2) If he wanted to tell a story about morally corrupt superheroes, then
2a) Be honest about that when you're pitching your movie to Warner Bros (He wasn't)
2b) Do what your hero Alan Moore did and create your own fucking heroes rather than corrupting existing ones.
I agree with that. It's not the concept I have a problem with. It's trying to shoehorn that idea into a Batman Superman movie. That ends with them fighting a cave troll birthed by Zuckerberg cumming into space jello.

If the movie was well done, it wouldn't have been an issue. It would have probably been commended. But the movie was a senseless bloated clusterfuck outside of the murders. It wasn't some deep theme that played into all the characters, it was a "fuck you, this isn't fucking you know playtime."

LiddyRules

Also, did you see that Snyder admitted that he and Chris Terrio had no idea how and why to get Batman and Superman to stop fighting?
They had no idea how to get them to start fighting either.

And here's the main problem - "He’s sort of embraced all the good parts of the human race, and so Batman’s able to sort of see, in a lot of ways, a thing that he is not."

When and where did Superman embrace all the good parts of the human race?
Remember, this is Snyder talking. The most greatest human thing Superman did in the movie was throw that guy through the wall.

Pigdango

Donator
They had no idea how to get them to start fighting either.

Remember, this is Snyder talking. The most greatest human thing Superman did in the movie was throw that guy through the wall.

"And this is where Superman embraces all the good parts of the human race!"

LiddyRules

"And this is where Superman embraces all the good parts of the human race!"
"Batman regained his humanity at the end of BvS so why didn't he drop the burglar off the roof at the beginning of Justice League?!? #RTSC !!"

Neon

ネオン
Really enjoyed this. Classic feel. A lot of laughs. Just a really fun movie. Would have loved this as a kid. Just enough spooky stuff to make you feel like you're watching something for adults.

LiddyRules

I had a really good time with this. Liked it way more than I thought I would. My favorite DC movie easy. Fun, cute in the right way, charming, Mary's 21, but also had some well done dark horror stuff that you don't get in kid's movies these days. Had the feel of Superman 1978 more than any comic movie since Raimi Spiderman.* Plus Lex's TV father played the father of the guy who inspired Lex in the comics.

Though I have no idea how DC Continuity works. How did the 1989 Bat symbol come to be? Ding! Oh the ding!

* And they definitely didn't ripoff Homecoming's closing credits. Not one bit. Not even with the song.

NuttyJim

I liked it although
thought the post credits would set up Black Adam. Especially with The Rock speaking publicly supporting how well Shazam is doing in the box office. The Superman cameo was cool but if Cavill was still gonna play the role they would’ve showed his face.

Southtown

I saw it yesterday. I didn't really know anything about the story of Shazam so to me it seemed a little slow in the beginning, but I enjoyed it. My wife leaned over when the kid was on the subway saying the movie was boring. I was just like "Jesus Christ, will you let the guy become Shazam before you complain". She still didn't care for it. She did laugh at one part, but I dont want to possibly spoil something so I wont mention it.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Saw it over the weekend. Enjoyed it, definitely a good super hero movie aimed at kids. Made me realize Marvel's targeting a much older age group really.

Only real complaint was that the final battle had that "okay, let's wrap this up," super hero movie issue.

Congrats on the casting director in finding a male version of Maisie Williams.