She gets no thanks for returning found $20,000

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
She gets no thanks for returning found $20,000

BRIGANTINE - You know that pound of $20s you've been looking for your whole life?
Joi Lyn Honer found it.

It was in a Wawa in Brigantine on Labor Day, sitting on top of a case of water next to a bank machine. Honer looked down, and there it was - a 5-inch-high stack of $20 bills, wrapped in just a few rubber bands.

But, Honer said, finding the proverbial pound of $20s - it turned out to be an even $20,000 - wasn't all it's cracked up to be.

Honesty is important to her, so after picking up that brick of bills - as other people walked by, not looking down at what shocked her when she spotted it - she made sure she got it back to its owner.

Honer, who lives in Wernersville, Pa., knew it had to be money for the cash machine, but she and the sister she was visiting in Brigantine, Jacquelyn Walker, couldn't find anyone working at PNC Bank on Labor Day. They also couldn't find any contact numbers on the automatic teller machine, and the cash truck that had left the money was long gone.
"And I said, 'I'm not going to be the last one to touch it, and just leave it here with these kids'" behind the Wawa counter, Honer said.

She went back to her sister's house to count the money, just in case there were any questions - and to get a souvenir picture featuring Honer, her son, Evan, 11, and that stack of bills that could have solved a stack of money problems for a 43-year-old single mother.

Then they went to the Brigantine Police station and turned in the money. The police chief, Art Gordy, confirmed Friday that the owners - Loomis, the armored-car company -came to reclaim its cash soon after.

That was about a month ago and Honer said the other day that she not only didn't get a reward for her honesty, she never even got any thanks or acknowledgement that the company got its cash back.

"Not a word," she said. "I didn't do it for a thank-you. But if somebody found my $20,000, I'd say thank you."

Friday evening - after a reporter made several calls to two Loomis offices about Honer's story - she said she did hear from a Loomis official in New Jersey who apologized to her.

"He said a co-worker dropped the ball," Honer reported after that call. "He assumed I was taken care of, and when (the reporter) called them, he realized I was not taken care of. He genuinely apologized, said he feels I did something that not a lot of people would normally do. He said they're going to make it right, and he really commended my honesty."

She also was happy to hear that by turning in the cash, she saved somebody's job. The Loomis employee who called her told her that because the company got its money back, the driver who left it was only suspended, not fired.

"He told me that if the money wasn't recovered, (keeping the worker) wasn't even an option," Honer said.

And she was happy to hear somebody from the company at least suggest that she'll get a reward - not that a reward was why she did what she did. For her, keeping that cash just wasn't an option.

"I just hope to live my life in an honest manner, and (the money) wasn't mine," said Honer, who had stopped at the Wawa to grab a cup of coffee for her, and a soda for Evan, for their ride back home to Pennsylvania.

"I felt uncomfortable even having the money, because it wasn't mine," she added. "And I thought this was cool: My son said, 'Mom, I feel like a criminal just holding this.' I said, 'Evan, I'm glad you feel uncomfortable. You should feel uncomfortable when you have somebody else's money.'

"I'm in recovery from chemical dependency," Honer said, and she has been for 26 years. "It's way behind me, but part of recovery is being honest. And I work in an organization that supports recovery. So if I kept that money, what kind of example would I be?"

Honer is the adolescent alumni coordinator for Caron Treatment Centers in her hometown - and since that's a "helping profession," she doesn't exactly get rich doing it.

She did let her mind wander to some of the things she could do with the cash - Evan will eventually have college tuition due and she finally has a long-term loan down to $4,000 - but she didn't think too seriously about it.

Still, a lot of people who hear her story come back with a few questions: What was she thinking? Why didn't she walk out the door and stick the cash under her seat and head home rich - at least temporarily?

"Somebody said, 'Come on, you could've at least had fun until they found you.' But that's the problem - you have to worry about them finding you. And I like sleeping," Honer said.

Gordy, the police chief, said he has never heard of anybody turning in anything like $20,000 at a police station.

"It's kind of unbelievable that somebody could find that kind of cash," he said, adding that Brigantine's government also hopes to give Honer some official recognition for what she did.

Still, he knows that honest people do turn in expensive jewelry and watches and other found items that probably no one would ever know if they kept.

Loomis officials still hadn't returned those calls for a company comment by Friday night, but Honer trusts that she'll hear more from them.

Plus, she learned something interesting about money: The U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing, which produces all of the $20 bills and other American bank notes in circulation, said each U.S. bill weighs 1 gram, regardless of whether it's a dollar bill or a $100 bill.

There turned out to be 1,000 bills in the stack that Honer found. So the 1,000 bills stacked up in the Brigantine Wawa would weigh 1,000 grams, or 1 kilogram - or 2.2 pounds.

So that pound of $20s you've been looking for? It's worth about $9,080.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
serves the dumb bitch right....

You find 20k.... YOU FUCKING KEEP IT

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Good for her for returning the money and all, but she sounds like a whiny bitch complaining they didn't reward or thank her. She absolutely deserved to be thanked in some way, but making a news story out of it is sort of childish.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
If she didn't do it for the thanks then she shouldn't have cared.
But obviously she did because she told someone that she didn't
get credit for the return and it became a story.
She should have kept the money and taken care of her kid.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
the only problem with a scenario like that is that even though you find money you can still be prosecuted as a fucking thief, especially if the money is from a bank or something.

I remember hearing not too long ago someone took money out of an atm and it gave them some stupid amount of money and she was arrested for keeping it.

But for 20k i would take the chance

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
This happened in Brigantine, just over a lil' bridge from Atlantic City. Fill in the rest of the blanks yourself...

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
This happened in Brigantine, just over a lil' bridge from Atlantic City. Fill in the rest of the blanks yourself...
brigatine is a nice place, we rented a huge house for a week there last year.

Def grab the money and hit the borgata

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
Good for her for returning the money and all, but she sounds like a whiny bitch complaining they didn't reward or thank her. She absolutely deserved to be thanked in some way, but making a news story out of it is sort of childish.
X2

You do things like this because it is the right thing to do, not so other people can acknowledge your good deeds.

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island

x3

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
Thing is though, there's fucking cameras everywhere now, I'd be paranoid that someone somewhere had me picking up the cash on tape. Taking it back was the right thing to do, so maybe she'll get extra Karma points.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Fuck Karma points and fuck her. Selfish cunt. Yes, she should have kept the money. But to bitch about this to a newspaper because she didn't get a reward? Fuck her.

cozzie

head retard
Aug 7, 2005
Norristown PA
i would have bought everything in the whole store just to piss people off for the rest of the day!

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
If she didn't turn it in she was just going to get caught anyway.