Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows- Downey, Law, Rapace, Ritchie- December 16

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I saw this after A Dangerous Method, and like I said in the Last Movies thread, I felt as though the series was missing an entire movie. Not that this one was missing a few scenes, but an entire movie was missing to make the characters make sense (including Moriarity and the underused Stephen Fry as Mycroft). I couldn't tell if Watson and Holmes had been working together for years since the last adventure or if they just had a mild acquaintanceship- neither answer makes complete sense to me. And the scene when Holmes meets Moriarity could have been done so much better.

It also wasn't really well done. It was one of the most "let's rush to the next action set piece" movies I've seen in a long while, and characters will just disappear until they are needed. The quirky wittiness that made the first one decent was pretty much completely lost. Somehow, Watson's chick was the best character in the movie.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
I'm hoping to see it tomorrow.

Maybe the character were more of a fan service type thing this time around? I'm happy that Moriarty is finally becoming a main player, and Mycroft has a small but rabid fan base.

Do Holmes and Moriarty fall off a cliff and kill each other in the end?

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
I saw this after A Dangerous Method, and like I said in the Last Movies thread, I felt as though the series was missing an entire movie. Not that this one was missing a few scenes, but an entire movie was missing to make the characters make sense (including Moriarity and the underused Stephen Fry as Mycroft). I couldn't tell if Watson and Holmes had been working together for years since the last adventure or if they just had a mild acquaintanceship- neither answer makes complete sense to me. And the scene when Holmes meets Moriarity could have been done so much better.

It also wasn't really well done. It was one of the most "let's rush to the next action set piece" movies I've seen in a long while, and characters will just disappear until they are needed. The quirky wittiness that made the first one decent was pretty much completely lost. Somehow, Watson's chick was the best character in the movie.
I didn't find it as terrible as you did. I thought it was undermarketed. It missed the charm of the first movie, though.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I didn't find it as terrible as you did. I thought it was undermarketed. It missed the charm of the first movie, though.
Undermarketed or mismarketed?

Did you like the movie? I want to know if I was in a bad mood when I saw it, which caused me to harp on action scene after action scene. Also, do you get what I mean when I said it felt like there was an entire movie missing?

And what do you mean by fan service WHD? It's Holmes and Watson in a SH movie. It would be like saying including Batman and Alfred in the Dark Knight was fan service.

WhiteHonkyDevil

Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI

Did you like the movie? I want to know if I was in a bad mood when I saw it, which caused me to harp on action scene after action scene. Also, do you get what I mean when I said it felt like there was an entire movie missing?

And what do you mean by fan service WHD? It's Holmes and Watson in a SH movie. It would be like saying including Batman and Alfred in the Dark Knight was fan service.
I was referring to moriarty and mycroft.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY

I actually loved the ENDING of the movie than the parts leading up to it. The movie itself was fine, but again, when comparing it to the first one, it was missing.... SOMETHING.

The action scenes seemed a bit tacked on, as if Guy said "Everyone thought that was cool in the first movie, so let's overkill it!"

Parts of it felt rushed... And I think a proper intro to Mycroft was needed, as he felt tacked on. I did like how there was a definite yin/yang feel between not only Holmes and Moriarty, but with Watson and Sebastian Moran. And there was almost NO Inspector Lestrade, which felt like a mistake.

And I also think...

It would've been more ballsy to let the audience think Sherlock died from the fall into Reichenbach Falls, and ended with the delivery of the rebreather, instead of the cutesy hiding in plain sight gag

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Sep 6, 2002
Staten Island, NY
I know I'm still gonna check it out anyway, even if I have to watch it several times to understand what they're saying like with the first one. No wonder it took so long for Guy Ritchie and Madonna to finalize their divorce, the proceedings must've taken forever to transcribe!

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I actually loved the ENDING of the movie than the parts leading up to it.
The ending of the movie (the stuff at the summit I assume you're talking about) was better than the rest of the film but, I don't know, it felt rushed. Like the entire movie felt rushed, but that sequence really deserved time to breathe. Also,
did the ginger assassin get away
?

The movie itself was fine, but again, when comparing it to the first one, it was missing.... SOMETHING.
I felt there was very little Sherlock. I don't know if this'll make sense, but the first one felt like Sherlock Holmes' movie but this one felt more like a movie with Sherlock Holmes in it.

The action scenes seemed a bit tacked on, as if Guy said "Everyone thought that was cool in the first movie, so let's overkill it!"
And there were a lot of them.

Parts of it felt rushed... And I think a proper intro to Mycroft was needed, as he felt tacked on.
I agree, and that's a major reason why I felt like a second movie was missing. Mycroft was just there and no real indication of his incredible mental prowess or details about him and Sherlock's relationship.

I did like how there was a definite yin/yang feel between not only Holmes and Moriarty, but with Watson and Sebastian Moran.
I thought the yin/yang between Watson/Moriarity didn't play out as well as it should have, and thought Watson/Moran was better- possibly because they were both men of action. Also, maybe it was because
I think the last two movies I've seen in theaters were Shame and A Dangerous Method (there might have been one between the two) where the directors allow for long takes without cuts, so during Holmes/Moriarty's first meeting, all I could think of was the scene being played out in one long take.)

And there was almost NO Inspector Lestrade, which felt like a mistake.
That disappointed me as well.
Was his only scene the "here's what happened" moment at the end?

And I also think...

It would've been more ballsy to let the audience think Sherlock died from the fall into Reichenbach Falls, and ended with the delivery of the rebreather, instead of the cutesy hiding in plain sight gag
I agree.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
So Sherlock Holmes 2 suffers in the same way Iron Man 2 suffered?

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I know I'm still gonna check it out anyway, even if I have to watch it several times to understand what they're saying like with the first one. No wonder it took so long for Guy Ritchie and Madonna to finalize their divorce, the proceedings must've taken forever to transcribe!
That's one of the reasons why I'm so hesitant to see it in the theater. I have been spoiled by closed captioned.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
So Sherlock Holmes 2 suffers in the same way Iron Man 2 suffered?
I never thought of it that way, but in many ways yes.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
What the hell? Am I alone in this!?

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Sep 6, 2002
Staten Island, NY
Without spoiling anything, I wasn't too crazy about that scene close to the end when they were running through the woods and there was alot of slo-mo. I suddenly felt like I was watching another movie. And the parts where Holmes would remember key details about certain clues looked alot like the way they do it on Psych.

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
My biggest problem with the movie seems to be the same as others. The whole ending should of been a cliffhanger, The Cutesy shit was stupid as fuck, Why they ripping off depression medication ads with the room camo bullshit. Oh and when was o'l Sabatian a rip off of Deadshot from DC comics?

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
What the hell? Am I alone in this!?
I just got back from seeing it. I think you maybe alone this and you might have been in a bad mood when you saw it. I thought it was an entertaining movie and the charm of the first movie was still there. Especially when it came to the banter between Holmes and Watson. I thought Mycroft was a nice addition. I never knew that Sherlock Holmes had a brother.

I think the movie is taking place a few months after the first one.

Jared Harris did a good job as Moriarty and I liked the fact that there wasn't a long drown out story to reveal him as the mastermind behind everything. Anybody whose is familiar with the story of Sherlock Holmes knows who is main adversary is. So why not cut to the chase and get the game between them started. I also liked how Moriarty wasn't this shadowy figure per say. But this well known figure who had a Machiavellian quality to him.

Now I will say that the plot was similar to the one in The League of Extraoridnary Gentleman. But I didn't have a problem with that because this movie made it more believable. I also think that time in history is very fascinating. So I loved seeing another take on it.

Yes there were more action scenes in GOS than the first one. But I thought there was enough space between them. I didn't have a problem with slow motion either because they did do it in the first movie.

Finally, I loved the last battle between Holmes and Moriarty and the ending.

WhiteHonkyDevil

Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
Anybody whose is familiar with the story of Sherlock Holmes knows who is main adversary is.
Eh, actually Moriarty was only introduced in the books to kill off Sherlock Holmes. He's never mentioned before the novel that kills Holmes off and he's only mentioned a few times in other stories, after the Sherlock Holmes character was "brought back". He was kind of a giant late 1800s ret-conning.