Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Ship Built With World Trade Center Scrap

By BECKY BOHRER,
AP
Posted: 2008-03-01 17:53:43
Filed Under: Nation News
AVONDALE, La. (March 1) - The USS New York, an amphibious assault ship built with scrap steel from the ruins of the World Trade Center, was christened Saturday as a source of strength and inspiration for the nation.

Thousands of people, including friends and families of those who died in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, gathered near the hulking gray ship, trimmed in red, white and blue banners.

The bow stem, which contains 7.5 tons of steel from the site, bore a shield with two gray bars to symbolize the twin towers and a banner over that declaring "Never Forget," a slogan among New Yorkers.

"May God bless this ship and all who sail on her," ship sponsor Dotty England said before smashing a bottle of champagne against it, producing a loud thump to go with the spurting liquid and flying streamers.

Story after story of lives lost in, and touched by, the attacks peppered the ceremony, held under the blazing sun and broadcast on large screens. It all brought back painful memories for New York Police Lt. Matt Murphy. But the reason for his being here, though, was a source of pride, he said.

"I tell you, it's a fantastic day. Sometimes you think you're over something," he said, his eyes welling up as he looked off toward the ship, "and then you realize you're not completely."

Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England told the crowd that ship names provide a legacy, and that for their crews they serve as a source of strength and inspiration.

When the attacks occurred, the ship was planned but had no name. Then-New York Gov. George Pataki asked the Navy to commemorate the disaster by reviving the name New York. That required an exception to Navy policy of assigning state names only to nuclear submarines.
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/ship-built-with-world-trade-center-scrap/20080301164909990001
That's pretty fucking cool!!

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Cool. Hopefully it'll play a part in the future elimination of the savages out there who hate us and are responsible for and/or supportive of the attacks on America and its citizens.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
"If the USS New York has to follow Osama bin Laden to the gates of hell, PCO Jones and his crew ... have my full support," he said to a standing ovation.
Nice quote

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
Cool. Hopefully it'll play a part in the future elimination of the savages out there who hate us and are responsible for and/or supportive of the attacks on America and its citizens.
We're gonna need a bigger boat.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i would be more than happy to buy a box of bullets that were made from WTC scrap

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
Thank you Hudson. This is the first place I've read this. It should be bigger news though. The MSM sucks balls. I hope they put it to good use.

Turfmower

Jan 17, 2005
Jersey
I saw this on discovory

The USS New York is under construction in Louisiana

In September 2003, 7.5 tons of World Trade Center steel were melted at a Louisiana foundry to cast the bow stem of the USS New York. The bow stem, the forward-most portion of the bow, is the vertical piece that rises from the red section in the photo. The USS New York (LPD 21) is the fifth ship in the series of San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock ships being built by Northrop Grumman Ship Systems.
The San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock ships are 684 feet (208.4 meters) long and 105 feet (31.9 meters) wide and will replace the functions of four classes of older amphibious ships. This new class of ship provides the U.S. Navy's Expeditionary Strike Group with the technology and flexibility to launch and recover amphibious landing craft; operate an array of rotary-wing aircraft; and carry and launch the Marine Corps Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle. Image courtesy Northrop Grumman Ship Systems.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I heard about it on Discovery and NBC's New York Nightly News. Cool news indeed.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
The MARINES on board the New York be kicking some ass, but the New York itself is a floating dock. Which is pretty appropriate for a ship named after NYC, of course.

Not slamming the 'phibs and especially not the New York: they're absolutely VITAL to American force projection, but the LPDs are probably outgunned by a single M1A2 tank. For sure by two of them (it depends on how you count the RAM launchers and the two 30mm cannons vs. a 120mm cannon- the .50 cal machine guns are pretty much a wash).

She'll transport about a battalion of Marine infantry and their equipment, land them in a dozen or so waves of Osprey flights (less if they use their landing ships, of course), and keep them supplied.

Not as "sexy" as a cruiser or a destroyer that can lay waste to an entire city with its own weapons (even before going nuclear), but she carries a fuckload of bad-intentioned Marines...