Shipping A Car

Jan 6, 2006
I have a car that needs to be shipped essentially from coast to coast.

Has anyone done this? Can someone suggest a company to use?

Thanks.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004

Kugzilla

Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.
Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
I think we used a company called Reindeer when we moved to and from Hawaii. IT was governmental moving though, so not sure if they do public moves.

Buds Spuckley

Mar 17, 2008
uship.com

Shippers will bid on the job I used them when I moved from Ny to Fla

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
uship.com

Shippers will bid on the job I used them when I moved from Ny to Fla
Were they any good? I had a motorcycle shipped from Vt to FL last year and they were one of the choices ebay offered. I picked a different one from that list, JC motors, and it went flawlessly.
Uship was cheaper but a couple bad reviews scared me to the higher priced one.
Then they got that 'shipping wars' show on Discovery that seems to have vanished after a couple weeks.
I watched the show, but it was awful, just a couple of the featured shippers of the day insulting each other from edited cutaways.
How does the company issue a quote before the bid process? That always confused me since their quote is considerably lower than the competition.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
Anyone remember Dana Carvey in Richar Pryor's Moving? Can't you just hire someone with eight personalities to drive your car across country for you?

Buds Spuckley

Mar 17, 2008
Were they any good? I had a motorcycle shipped from Vt to FL last year and they were one of the choices ebay offered. I picked a different one from that list, JC motors, and it went flawlessly.
Uship was cheaper but a couple bad reviews scared me to the higher priced one.
Then they got that 'shipping wars' show on Discovery that seems to have vanished after a couple weeks.
I watched the show, but it was awful, just a couple of the featured shippers of the day insulting each other from edited cutaways.
How does the company issue a quote before the bid process? That always confused me since their quote is considerably lower than the competition.
I used them for furniture and they give you a range that it will cost and then shippers bid in that range or below. I had no problems they were a day late due to an accident on 95 but it didnt matter to me. It was considerably cheaper than any other company so I expected headaches but didnt really have any.

The guy owned his own truck and said that he was hungry for business. The only thing that wasnt listed is that he wanted 150 to load and 100 to unload the truck. Not a huge deal but I had to scramble for an atm. At least he told me before he loaded the truck and didnt have my stuff hostage.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
A surprise extra $250 at the last minute when he's there ready to load up would be a huge problem for me. I'd have sent him away empty even if I had to pay the same to someone else who was up front about the cost.

Buds Spuckley

Mar 17, 2008
I was annoyed by it but my company covered most of my moving expenses and my wife was pregnant so he knew he had me.

Everything was ok when he got here so I payed him the extra cash once everything was unloaded.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
A surprise extra $250 at the last minute when he's there ready to load up would be a huge problem for me. I'd have sent him away empty even if I had to pay the same to someone else who was up front about the cost.
I completely agree. I would have rather spent $400 more to an honest company than let that dick bag pull a fast one at the end of the transaction.

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
call whatever channel has that new show on.....like shipping wars or some shit.

Jan 6, 2006
I rather use a company with a good reputation - I'm shipping a one of a kind car.

I think I might be better off flying back and driving it myself. Seems like you can't get it done for under 850$~ which is more than the gasoline is worth for the drive.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
If it's any of the cars you've mentioned owning in the past couple of years, it will cost more to ship than the car is worth.

Jan 6, 2006
Yeah, I'm planning on shipping a '96 Grand Am.

For sure.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
Try uship.com let people bid on your load... um wait.

Yeah, I'm planning on shipping a '96 Grand Am.
It would be cheaper just to buy on in your area. Try any buy here pay here used car lot. I guarantee they all have one.

Jan 6, 2006
It would be cheaper just to buy on in your area. Try any buy here pay here used car lot. I guarantee they all have one.
You probably didn't do too well in school.