Shock collar for a dog

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I'm at my wits end, otherwise I wouldn't resort to using one of these. But, I just bought one on eBay (saved about $50 over buying the same exact one in a store). Our female Yellow Lab will not fucking stop barking at our neighbors. She knows she's not supposed to, because the moment I yell at her for it, the head and tail go down. At this point, I don't even have to say anything. Just seeing me after she does it makes the head and tail go down. I started out just yelling. When that didn't work, it became a yell and a smack. The next step is a 2x4 upside the head, so that's why I bought the collar.

I gotta nip this in the bud before I end up on the wrong end of a noise complaint. It's a pain in the ass because it never fails. I always check to make sure the neighbors aren't out in their yard before I put the dogs out, so I don't have to deal with it. But, almost every fucking time I put them out, someone either comes home or goes out, or goes into the back yard. Unfortunately, from our backyard our dog can see/hear all the comings and goings over there. No matter what time of day it is, she barks.

It's been like this from day one. When she was a pup it wasn't that big of a deal, she wasn't that loud. The bark of a fully-grown 110-pound dog is a different story. It's only going to get worse, because the neighbors recently installed a hot tub on their back patio - so they are gonna be out there alot more for that reason, in addition to the nicer weather that is on the way.

Of course, the worst is when I let the dogs out for the final time of the night before I go to bed- which is anywhere between 11PM and 2AM. That's my biggest concern, that someone's gonna call the police because this dog is barking at 1AM.

My neighbors have been cool about it, but I know they are getting sick of it because the last few times they started yelling when she started the barking routine.

I understand these things are quite effective and I expect her to learn real quick. The collar has 8 levels of shock correction. Most people report they only have to use the first couple levels, and after a couple months they don't even need to use the collar anymore because the behavior has been corrected.

Anyone else used one? I can't be here 24/7, and I can't be out there in the yard with them every time. Something has to be done. My other dog doesn't bark at all at these neighbors. He only barks at stuff he hears but can't see. If he can see something, he generally doesn't bark at it unless it's a cat or other small animal that he thinks is a meal.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
How about cattle prods?

I've never used one. Dogs have never been too bad in the past

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Well, the thing with the shock collar is that it's remote-activated with like a couple-hundred-yard range. You can administer the shock correction and ramp up the intensity right from the remote. So, I don't even have to go outside. And, that's key. The dog needs to think the zap just happens if she barks over there - not that it's coming from me.

My dogs are generally well-behaved. They were a little unruly with jumping and shit but I've calmed that down. The only thing I can't break is the barking with the Lab. My other dog barks at our other neighbors dog, because they have an un-neutered male who marks the fence in between our yards. It drives my guy nuts because he thinks another male dog is on his turf. He can't see this dog, for the most part as it's a wooden fence. But, he does get glimpses through the fence boards.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
I have the same problem. 2 year old yorkie. I live in a co-op, so getting a REAL dog wasn't an option. Instead of the shock collar I got a spray one. It works on the same concept except it sprays some citronella every time he barks. It worked for a while but if the collar is not on he still barks. ANd it needed batteries ALOT to leave it on all day. And when he was REALLY excited he barked right through the spray. Now the thing is cracked somewhere and is useless. I was thinking of using a shock collar. She,feels bad and thinks it is too much. I feel bad too, but with a baby coming in a month I have to calm this thing down.. waiting to hear how others have done with the shock collar also....

Its pretty much whenever he sees another dog outside or someone passes. The mailman drives him banans. His hyperness prevents me from walking him as he pulls so much he cuts his paws open. Just moved here 2 years ago and whenever we tlalk to someone on the block we're known as the couple with the noisy or loud dog. We're "those" people.. uggh

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I'll let you know how it works. BTW, they make shock collars for small dogs like that.

As far as the pulling when walking, get a pinch collar.

I grew up with a Yorkie... I know how they are. Ours lived to be 18 years old.

Teddy

Nov 20, 2005
Here
ive got one they work well but once u take it off the dog they will bark. the only issue i have is the batteries die kind of quickly and their not cheep batteries. but it does keep the dog quiet

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Didn't know you lived next door to *******. :action-sm

Used a shock collar on one Lab mutt with mixed results. Sounds like you have a real bitch on your hands.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I figure I can switch the collar on and off to save the batteries a little. I don't need it on when she's in the house. So, I'll just turn it on when I let her out. If I gotta keep this collar on her permanently, so be it.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
does it also work with a noise level? my neighbors great danes bark constantly till they got there bark collars on it was so bad that they figured out if they just kept barking the collars would go dead. barking is a hard habit to break, duncan howls and barks constantly if we leave him alone in the car but not at home. ive lucked out for the most part on the barking, they only bark when there is someone in the yard and they can see them. or i do the "who's that?" then they will go nuts

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
This isn't an automatic anti-bark shock collar. I didn't want to go that route, because I don't want to discourage all barking. I still want her to bark if someone breaks in, etc. I gotta manually give her a zap when she goes over on that side of the yard and starts barking at the neighbors.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
good, i think that the ones that just go off can turn a border line dog into a biter, i have used shock collars on Doc when were out hunting, and during some of his hunt training, i am not opposed to there use, just there misuse. i have often considered using one on duncan to put an end to his wanderings (he thinks he owns the neighborhood and likes to torment my neighbors border collies who are on an invisible fence)

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I've used them before, and had great results. I've seen them used by people who use it as a training crutch, and their dogs become paranoid like you'd see any other abused dog.

Just don't over use it and they're very effective. I've never had problems with my Belgian once I used one, and it was something I really had my trepidations about considering the serious/work dog nature of the Belgian, but he was cool afterwards. A sporting dog like a Lab should get the point really quick and not need much intensity at all.

Good luck dude!

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
Either they don't work or I had a stupid dog.

About 12 years ago I got a Great Pyrenees. He would bark at anything regardless of what it was or where he was. Things got so bad someone left a note on my garage door saying if you don't shut your dog up we will do it for you. That is when I got one of those shock collars. It just made things worse. Every time he got shocked he would just start attacking the air in front of him and start barking more.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Haha, Pyraneses are the epitome of a big, dumb animal. New Foundlands are the same way.

The main reason the St Bernard is the best known of that family of breeds is they're like, the only one of the three that aren't fucking retards usually, heh.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
Haha, Pyraneses are the epitome of a big, dumb animal. New Foundlands are the same way.

The main reason the St Bernard is the best known of that family of breeds is they're like, the only one of the three that aren't fucking retards usually, heh.
My dog was a fucking retard. I ended up having to give it away. The stupid fuck would just bark at the wall all night when I ended up bringing him in after the death threats.

I still hate that dummy.

NortonsHeiny

Ronnie B Rocks my Fat Ass
Nov 14, 2005
New Jersey
Sinn how committed would you be to an alternative method of training? Positive motivation rather then punishment? My feeling on using the shock collar when the dog barks and then wanting the dog to bark when there is trouble will be confusing as the dog may not know the difference...

Without being in your back yard to understand why the dog is barking I can guess that she thinks that there already is trouble.

My Bull Terrier bitch is a barker. Yelling never would work and I would never hit her. My answer has been when she barks for no reason she simply removed from the situation. She gets a time out in a room by herself. The time out lasts from one minute to several. When she emerges she either will have settled down and gets rewarded or she goes back in. I have had great results with her getting that when she is quiet she gets love, food, praise, whatever.....And she gets that it acceptable to bark when we have a visitor.

I mark the moments my dogs are being good and offering great behavior rather then mark the bad moments.....

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
My dog was a fucking retard. I ended up having to give it away. The stupid fuck would just bark at the wall all night when I ended up bringing him in after the death threats.

I still hate that dummy.
Jesus dude...

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Sinn how committed would you be to an alternative method of training? Positive motivation rather then punishment? My feeling on using the shock collar when the dog barks and then wanting the dog to bark when there is trouble will be confusing as the dog may not know the difference...

Without being in your back yard to understand why the dog is barking I can guess that she thinks that there already is trouble.

My Bull Terrier bitch is a barker. Yelling never would work and I would never hit her. My answer has been when she barks for no reason she simply removed from the situation. She gets a time out in a room by herself. The time out lasts from one minute to several. When she emerges she either will have settled down and gets rewarded or she goes back in. I have had great results with her getting that when she is quiet she gets love, food, praise, whatever.....And she gets that it acceptable to bark when we have a visitor.

I mark the moments my dogs are being good and offering great behavior rather then mark the bad moments.....
I've tried everything. This has been almost a 2-year ordeal. When she would just "yip" at them as a pup it was cute. Now, it's a problem and she seems to be getting worse. And, yes, I did try to address it from the beginning.

I don't want to discourage all barking, so that's why the only time I'll administer correction with the collar is when she is in that front corner of our backyard and starts barking away at the neighbors. The problem is the neighbor's fence is chain-link, so she can see right through it and barks at anyone she sees over there. Our neighbors on the other side put up a wood fence before we moved in. We had solid vinyl fence put across the back, and across the front.

I think I am eventually going to have to run my own vinyl fenceline down the side alongside the neighbor's chainlink fence. But, it's not going to be cheap and it's gonna be years away before we have spare cash for that.

The dog knows, instantly that she isn't supposed to be over there barking. As soon as she sees me come outside when she is doing it, she stops immediately and the head/tail both go right down. But, I can't be running outside every damn time, and I'm not always here. I can't say everyone else here rushes right outside to put a stop to the barking like I do.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
You don't understand. The collar was my last option. I loved that dog but everyone has a breaking point. Imagine every night you go to bed you have a 150lb dog next to your bed that barks the whole fucking night without stopping. I mean the WHOLE fucking night. That fucking dog was so stupid it would bark at dust on the wall.

NikkorTheMonk

Apr 26, 2005
My buddy has a stupid Doberman Pinsher (spl) and has one of the those shock collars that veries in power ranges 1 trhu 10. It's a really nice and friendly dog, but dumb as a brick. We were watching the Steelers/Ravens game this year at his house and it was sitting on his coffee table, so me beinig the moron that I am i joke about trying it on myself. 10 minutes later i got this thing jammed against my neck and I work my way from 1 to 7, wasnt to bad. I got to 8 and hit the button and body jerked, my foot shot forward smashing the corner of the table with my pinky toe wearing nothing but socks, and i spilled my drink. So from a personal view they definatly work, and his dog doesnt leave the yard when he's wearinig it.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
You don't understand. The collar was my last option. I loved that dog but everyone has a breaking point. Imagine every night you go to bed you have a 150lb dog next to your bed that barks the whole fucking night without stopping. I mean the WHOLE fucking night. That fucking dog was so stupid it would bark at dust on the wall.
I hear ya. I understand the frustration. In my case, it never fails. If I let the dogs out and stay downstairs by the door so I can rush outside right away if the barking starts, nothing happens. But, if I let them out and go take a piss or run back upstairs, there it goes. I end up having to sprint for the door and yell at them to come back in. And, it's not like she doesn't bark because she can still see me because she can't. Once they are out and I close the door, she has no idea where I am in the house.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
there is such a thing as a brain dammaged dog, the last rescue that i had was abused so badly that i had to have it placed on a farm with no kids... and away from me, im ashamed that he was a failure because of me

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Well at this place we have an invisible fence... and we were thinking about using it for the Border Collie... but decided against it... we were also going to use it on the GSD puppy... but he breeder said it could turn her uber aggressive... so long and short of it... we keep an eye on the Border Collie when outside (as she will fuck off on you if not monitored)... and the GSD puppy on a leash for now...

On a side note the only one barking at night (when she is outside in the dog pen) is the GSD... and 9 times out of 10 she has a reason to... (ummm critter or person walking by ect).

Please note I take one of the dogs to the barn with me to feed the horses... yada yada... I give them a job... every morning to do.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Umm one other thing does she ask to go out? Like sometimes when I go to bed I do not let the girls out... as typically they are upstairs sleeping with the wife...

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
Hey Sinn, my hat's off to you for trying to take care of the problem.. there's a lot of so-called dog lovers that just say FU to complaints, or fail to even recognize problem behavior and just let the animal carry on, which ain't good for anyone. Whatever you end up doing I hope it works out for you, and your dog.