Shooting on BLM Land

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
So who here just goes out to a patch of BLM land and starts shooting away? My next job is taking me to Henderson NV and my trip will take me through Colorado, Utah, Arizona and on into Nevada. I am thinking about taking my 6.5 Creedmoor rifle with me and maybe my HK MR762 also.

Just wondering if you can literally find a patch of land with a decent backstop and go shooting or if there is anything else to know other than what is posted on the BLM website about staying away from buildings and not shooting over roads and mostly obvious shit like that.

I have Backcountry Navigator for my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 tablet with BLM map overlays so I can find the BLM lands and borders no problem. I'm just wondering if you just pull off to the side of the road, set up a target in a safe direction with a good backstop and start shooting?

Stig

Fucking your mother.
Black Lives Matter has land?

MurphCO

Enough of this palaver
Donator
In Colorado (Wild West) it is perfectly legal to shoot anywhere reasonable on National Forest Land

A firearm may not be discharged in the following National Forest areas:

1. Within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area; or
2. Across or on a Forest Development road or an adjacent body of water, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge; or
3. Into or within any cave. [36 CFR 261.10 (d)]

Same basic rules for BLM land

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Like Murph said, as long as it's not a park (there are BLM parks), shooting is perfectly legal in most areas as long as it's not over water, in established campgrounds, etc.

Generally concealed carry defaults to county/state law, so if you have a handgun, plan on open carry unless you have a ccw.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
By the way, I understand why you don't shoot over water, but I want to know the incident(s) that led to that rule being repeated so fucking much. I've heard that more than not shooting across roads. I guess because it's less obvious to people?

Bobobie

Just to be safe, find a berm, ridge, hill to fire into. Just so you don't accidentally shoot a hiker.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
It always amazes me how bullets do strange things, if you watch flir footage of fire fights it amazes me how they just fly all over

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
I'm on the BLM and US Forest Circus daily and shoot with reckless abandon. Treat yourself.

gleet

It always amazes me how bullets do strange things, if you watch flir footage of fire fights it amazes me how they just fly all over
I know a Blackhawk pilot who made a run on an armed oil platform. Lots of steel. They came in and opened fire with everything and he said the tracers were going everywhere, mostly towards him. He announced to the crew, we're all gonna die!

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
I'm on the BLM and US Forest Circus daily and shoot with reckless abandon. Treat yourself.
I like the cut of your jib sir, reckless abandon it shall be!

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
if it were me I would ask around the local gunstores, typically there are a few spots where the firearm community 'agree on' are good shooting spots. It's good to know at least where they are, if for no other reason than you don't accidentally set up directly in the line of fire a mile away or something. Typically they're naturally good spots with sheltering backstop slopes and such

5skin

Somewhere on Molly Ringwald
By the way, I understand why you don't shoot over water, but I want to know the incident(s) that led to that rule being repeated so fucking much. I've heard that more than not shooting across roads. I guess because it's less obvious to people?
It's the lead, they don't want it in the water for wildlife to consume.
My favorite targets come floating along after heavy rains tho.

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
Simple ignorance here. What is BLM in this case?

gleet

Simple ignorance here. What is BLM in this case?
Bureau of Long Meetings, sometimes called Bureau of Land Management. They oversee the federally owned ground until it gets enough trees or altitude then the US Forest Circus claims it. Together, they own most of Idaho and almost all of Nevada.