Shootr's Backyard Makeover Thread

Mags

A.K.A. Chad
Donator
nice

I gave up using teflon tape because well, it sucks. The teflon paste sucks even more.

I only use this on everything usually using the tape. My airline fittings and air tools are silent now and the air lasts days since there is no leaks.

yep, $22 bucks but it lasts forever as you use a tiny amount each time.

Teflon tape and paste are not intended to be sealants. They are merely intended as lube to assist threads sealing. The only true sealant I’ve seen plumbers or Steamfitters use is black Permatex.

maz

TRueWDTer
Making progress. All the plastic underlayment is gone so tomorrow I rent a rototiller and loosen it all up and level it.

Wanted to get the valves mounted temporarily so I know where to lay the sprinkler lines. Battery powered timer, pre-made manifold, a little torch work to mould the waterline - I'm happy with it.

You'll be making suicide vests in no time

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Not too bad - pooped and sore but at least it's done.

About 3 hours to till down about 8", and the fire pit area as well.

Rake, roll, repeat... Eyeballed the high and low spots and dragged dirt around to level it out. Still need to fine tune it - I'll string up some level lines and see how it looks.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Leveled out the fire pit area and laid out the sprinkler plan. Calling the curb guy in the morning to get that done next.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Haven't been able to make much headway - got an inch of rain last week turning the project into a muddy mess. And there's more to come Thursday and Friday.

But, the curb guy is coming tomorrow to see how it looks and will get it done if it's OK (I think it is).

Did plant a few oleanders and a lemon tree - rain made the digging easy.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Haven't been able to make much headway - got an inch of rain last week turning the project into a muddy mess. And there's more to come Thursday and Friday.

But, the curb guy is coming tomorrow to see how it looks and will get it done if it's OK (I think it is).

Did plant a few oleanders and a lemon tree - rain made the digging easy.

“rain” and I wasn’t around? I don't believe you for I am Muad’Dib only I can bring rain to Arrakis

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Oh yeah!

Found some ridiculously heavy walled 1-1/2" square tubing at a scrap yard. Buried (2) 12' lengths in the corners and cemented them in. Going to string some patio lights to them for ambiance.

It was a good day.

maz

TRueWDTer
I'd keep the pond
Put a few fish in there maybe
Or Sea Monkeys
Sea Monkeys are fun

5skin

Somewhere on Molly Ringwald
They remind me of the lights strung up over a beer garden. A few smashed red Solo cups would really pull off the look.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Minimal rain so it looks like I'll be trenching Saturday. Still muddy in the shaded area, but not sloppy muddy - should be OK.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator

Jeez, glad this is done...

Rented the manual, not power driven trencher. Had to, couldn't get the other one in and out of the truck by myself. Only took 3 hours to trench, and another 3 to get all the pvc done.

Letting it set overnight, then I'll flush it, check for leaks, put the heads on, and bury them.

Hopefully sod next week.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!

Jeez, glad this is done...

Rented the manual, not power driven trencher. Had to, couldn't get the other one in and out of the truck by myself. Only took 3 hours to trench, and another 3 to get all the pvc done.

Letting it set overnight, then I'll flush it, check for leaks, put the heads on, and bury them.

Hopefully sod next week.
Looks nice but if I was doing this and it is like starting from a clean page, I would put the sprinkler heads outside of the concrete strip so as to not interfere with mowing or edging. it looks like you are using the larger Hunter stream heads which would have no problem shooting over the extra foot or so. And don't forget the drip for the outer area.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Looks nice but if I was doing this and it is like starting from a clean page, I would put the sprinkler heads outside of the concrete strip so as to not interfere with mowing or edging. it looks like you are using the larger Hunter stream heads which would have no problem shooting over the extra foot or so. And don't forget the drip for the outer area.
All the existing stuff is already on a drip so no worries there.

I'm using 4" Toro pop-up sprays since it's such a small area. The irrigation shop said the short throws I have would be a challenge for rotor heads. The sod people said to leave the heads 1/2" - 1" above grade - then when they lay the grass the heads will definitely be low enough to not interfere with the mower.

Fun fact - there was grass here before - I wound up hitting the old lines all over the place with the trencher. Had a heart attack thinking I was hitting the drip lines, but none of them were.

Bobobie

I see that Dingo isn't photobombing your shots anymore.