shop tools

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
so i figure since we have had several different threads on shop tools (i am guilty of this) but i thought it might be a good idea to lump them all into one thread.

so, ive decided that im going to splurge and get the saw stop. because i want to work with wood, and i want to keep my fingers.

but, im also looking into a jointer, anyone have one or, any suggestions? im thinking of getting a combination jointer planer, the JET 8" bench top model is what im looking at because im kind of fucked for space in my garage. i want the jointer so i can make picture frames for stuff, i find myself making more and more frames for things, not just photos but window sashes and other things. im also interested in making jewelry boxes and shit like that, a smaller machine will suit me fine, i dont plan on making giant tables or anything overly large.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
I've always been a fan of Dewalt tools. There are better tool makers out there but Dewalt makes stuff that works really for someone wanting good quality at a reasonable price. Perfect for those of us that consider woodworking a hobby and not a profession.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Yea I'm pure hobbie. I figure I will use a jointer if I buy one but nor every day that would warrant 2000$ for a good one even the saw stop I'm looking at is no where near a pro unit

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
You checking the local Thrifty Nickel type free classifieds paper? Old farts who retire and have nothing going on in their life (not you, of course :rolleyes:) tend to get into woodworking big time, then die on schedule. All their stuff goes up for sale but the widow doesn't do craigslist or online shit so she puts an ad in the paper where they bought their Mercury in 1983. Watch for estate sales, too. You can pick up some actual cast iron machinery with motors that will run forever.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Talked to the wife last night, I'm going down to woodcraft today and get my saw stop , I've got a credit card with no balance on it I just wish it had a better interest rate, but the other night while I was trying to rip even a short board 30" it was almost 1/4" off over the length that's just un acceptable, the time I'm wasting hand finishing parts to get even a remotely acceptable fit is plenty of justified in buying a better saw. I can wait on the jointer, I've been doing a lot of research and the jet jointer/ planer I've been looking at gets horrible reviews, of course, now I generally take most reviews with a grain of salt but the ones I've been reading have been scathing, even when I weed out the people that are asking a hobby machine to produce professional "big machine " results or the "the paint was chipped so I sent it back" assholes. I kind of avoid "used" stuff unless I know exactly where it's coming from and I'm 100% familiar with its operation oh and it has to be no more than 1/3 the price of new. Although I rarely use warranty it's nice to know I have one.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002

Bought it. Got the 4 castor hydraulic base and 36" fence system, I haven't even had a chance to turn it on yet, I've been putting the damn thing together all afternoon, it's heavy with the base and fence close to 300lb the instructions were great and all the hardware came blister packed and color coded and basically retard resistant, I can't wait to start cutting stuff, I picked up a few other safety stuff, a really cool magnetic feather board and some nice push blocks, I'm tired of needlessly risking my life over 50$. Now I need to look into a dado set have to get an 8" one, and the dado break, it was 300$ for the ones at woodcraft, I do realize I spent a lot on the saw but I have no immediate need for one

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005

Bought it. Got the 4 castor hydraulic base and 36" fence system, I haven't even had a chance to turn it on yet, I've been putting the damn thing together all afternoon, it's heavy with the base and fence close to 300lb the instructions were great and all the hardware came blister packed and color coded and basically retard resistant, I can't wait to start cutting stuff, I picked up a few other safety stuff, a really cool magnetic feather board and some nice push blocks, I'm tired of needlessly risking my life over 50$. Now I need to look into a dado set have to get an 8" one, and the dado break, it was 300$ for the ones at woodcraft, I do realize I spent a lot on the saw but I have no immediate need for one
It's................gulp

.............beautiful.

gleet

Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Oh you'll enjoy that.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO

Does that use special blades or does any old Home Depot one work in it?

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Does that use special blades or does any old Home Depot one work in it?
Any 10" blade will work, they recommend using only "standard kerf" blades ones that are too thin or thick will effect the brake, and when you change blades you need to adjust the headspace on the brake it comes with a go-no go gauge and a Allen wrench to do that and the adjuster is well placed, I still need to finish adjusting the trueness of the deck, the deck is beautiful ground cast iron, the cabinet is sheet metal but heavy all the innards ar nicely made and operate smooth as glass, the saw seems to me to be very well made and the instruction manual is well made and thorough, it's almost like the saw was built and designed buy wood workers for wood workers, which is good, I've grown weary of tools designed by marketing guys and engineers that have never actual used the stuff they design. Now I just need to find some more projects for it

metallikat87

Dec 14, 2006
Oklahoma
That thing is badass, mind if I ask what it ran you? I love wood working but don't have the time or tools to really get into it. I will probably be one of those old farts buying this shit when I retire and my wife will be listing it on CL a few years later.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
That thing is badass, mind if I ask what it ran you? I love wood working but don't have the time or tools to really get into it. I will probably be one of those old farts buying this shit when I retire and my wife will be listing it on CL a few years later.
As equipped with about 200$ in extra safety stuff 2800$ the saw was 2100$ the base was about 200$ ( it's the upgraded 4 caster version) the fence was 180$ I will post photos of it finished later

Sep 16, 2005
dirty jersey
That is a nice saw. Good luck with it.
They stole my color scheme. This is my 1951 Unisaw I restored a couple years back.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Ever considered building furniture?

I've been wanting to build furniture using salvaged oak or ash wood from the bottom of the Missouri River that I cut, dried and milled myself. Reclaimed barn wood would be nice too. This would be equal parts pain in the ass and gratifying.

This is the type of woodworking foolishness I intend to try when I retire. Something that would be completely unique and would fetch a premium price. The Whole Foods crowd loves repurposed crap.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002

So that's it, all finished assembled, those are the push blocks and feather board I bought, I also bought another feather board that attaches to the top of the one in the photo to hold stuff down , it's really cool because it uses rare earth magnets to hold it to the table, I defy you to pick it up when they are engaged, it impressed the shit out of me at the store I just had to have it, the other yellow one is another style of push block, it's adjustable to provide complete control of smaller or thin pieces, I used both tonight and honestly money well spent, as for the operation of the saw, it's as smooth as glass I don't know how I lived with out it for so long

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
EDIT:
I meant to quote @header here, comment about selling to the Whole Foods crowd

How do you ever recoup the labor cost on selling handmade stuff. Even retired time has value, instead of the 25 hours it took you to hand craft the chair you could knock out a porch on the side for the clueless guy that can't swing a hammer and bill out $25 bucks a hour off the books. you would have to find some sucker to pay $500+ for the chair to even out.

Last edited:

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
How do you ever recoup the labor cost on selling handmade stuff. Even retired time has value, instead of the 25 hours it took you to hand craft the chair you could knock out a porch on the side for the clueless guy that can't swing a hammer and bill out $25 bucks a hour off the books. you would have to find some sucker to pay $500+ for the chair to even out.
You don't.

He's investing in his own mental and spiritual well-being. Poor bastard spent enough time in purgatory. Now he gets to enjoy a few of the finer things in life.

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
You don't.

He's investing in his own mental and spiritual well-being. Poor bastard spent enough time in purgatory. Now he gets to enjoy a few of the finer things in life.
Ok, I understand cause you like it, you had said that about the Whole Food crowd, I was wondering if it can be a "job" that makes money or a hobby with some sales now and then.

gleet

Jul 24, 2005
Idaho

So that's it, all finished assembled, those are the push blocks and feather board I bought, I also bought another feather board that attaches to the top of the one in the photo to hold stuff down , it's really cool because it uses rare earth magnets to hold it to the table, I defy you to pick it up when they are engaged, it impressed the shit out of me at the store I just had to have it, the other yellow one is another style of push block, it's adjustable to provide complete control of smaller or thin pieces, I used both tonight and honestly money well spent, as for the operation of the saw, it's as smooth as glass I don't know how I lived with out it for so long
Do you have to be on your knees to run it? It looks short. Is it short? It looks short.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Ok, I understand cause you like it, you had said that about the Whole Food crowd, I was wondering if it can be a "job" that makes money or a hobby with some sales now and then.
Oh shit.

You were asking me.

If I was making furniture I would have all of my tools paid for by the second bedroom set. $1,500 for a bed, $1,500 for a dresser, $1,500 for a chest of drawers, $1,500 for a pair of nightstands. American made with a built in history to the lumber drives the price up significantly. Add in some laser cut stone inlays made of granite from the Crazy Horse Monument and you've constructed a must have item for the smug crowd.

Not sure what Mister FEZ MAN has planned for his new toy but I'm willing to bet he'll be building things for the house that make Mrs. FEZ MAN happy.

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
$1,500 for a bed, $1,500 for a dresser, $1,500 for a chest of drawers, $1,500 for a pair of nightstands
Fuck that hurts just reading it, I'm lucky the wife likes money in the bank way more than 6 grand for a bedroom set, I feel bills like that are reasons for divorce.
Also I guess its how we swing the mortgage here, no other bill for that kinda stuff.
I cant wrap my head around 6k for one bedroom, take away the newer mattress and my shits not worth $600.
I had no clue it was a market, i need to learn to use my shit, It's old Craiglist stuff or Harbor Freight. But got nice NEW work shop.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Fuck that hurts just reading it, I'm lucky the wife likes money in the bank way more than 6 grand for a bedroom set, I feel bills like that are reasons for divorce.
Also I guess its how we swing the mortgage here, no other bill for that kinda stuff.
I cant wrap my head around 6k for one bedroom, take away the newer mattress and my shits not worth $600.
I had no clue it was a market, i need to learn to use my shit, It's old Craiglist stuff or Harbor Freight. But got nice NEW work shop.
Now I know I'm not a good example, but in some ways I am, we just dropped 8k on new furniture, new living room set, (made in USA) two real wood chairs an ottoman and a love seat, then the bedroom, two night stands and a platform bead with drawers under it (USA made) I had no issue spending the money because I lived the same way as you, the furniture in my home was all free shit I got over the years an my wife's stuff she bought at least 10 years ago, I'm looking to replace my living room coffee table, my wife has been eyeing up a reclaimed barn lumber one....... 3000$ now I can go and buy resawn lumber and make that myself or just tell her to buy it, and I can make other shit. We saw "reclaimed lumber" (old pallets) planters at a fancy pants garden center for 200$ a pop, I built one for the price of some Brad nails an a small bottle of gorilla glue. My main reason for spending the money on the saw is I now "have it" I spent a good 20 years terrified of My shitty contractor saw and I'm sick of " making due" fuck it, my fingers are worth more than 3000$

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
http://www.shopterrain.com This is the place with the expensive garden crap, somebody must buy the shit because they are always busy, I also sold are projects for years, I'm not going to get rich but it gives me something to do. I have no real plans to make full size furniture but end tables and other artsy artsy shit, picture frames frames for stain glass ect.