shop tools

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
I dropped my brand new cordless impact gun into a bucket of water! For like 2 seconds

It didnt have the battery installed

I blew it out real good thru the air vents with my compressor, and it seemed to be working fine

Still paranoid, took it completely apart, there was still water droplets in there throughout the unit, gave it more air

There is a circuit board in there, which has me worried most, but it appears fine

Think it will be OK, or should I just return it to be safe?
Dry that bitch out then water proof it. Get some conformal coating, silicone, dielectric grease and spend an hour or so fucking with it. You have it apart already i suppose ? You'll be able to run it under water if you so choose.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I dropped my brand new cordless impact gun into a bucket of water! For like 2 seconds

It didnt have the battery installed

I blew it out real good thru the air vents with my compressor, and it seemed to be working fine

Still paranoid, took it completely apart, there was still water droplets in there throughout the unit, gave it more air

There is a circuit board in there, which has me worried most, but it appears fine

Think it will be OK, or should I just return it to be safe?
Now dunk it in a high isopropyl alcohol to try to leach out any remaining water.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Bah just use it, my 3/8 gun is crazy magnetic and would pick up every metal filing in the shop and shoot sparks

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Mill in the training center I am at this week.

THE FEZ MAN

@Shootr when I was working at the race car shop, it was previously a pattern company, they left a Hendey lathe that had to have an 8’ bed, it was a massive piece of equipment, the sad part is while it looked really cool, no one knew how to properly operate it and I have a feeling it may have been worn out.
I’ve been watching this guy in the YouTube called “OX tools” he’s a tool and die maker for Lawrence Livermore, he has an annoying California accent but makes some really cool shit, and, part of what he does is repair old tools

ysr50

Donator
@Shootr when I was working at the race car shop, it was previously a pattern company, they left a Hendey lathe that had to have an 8’ bed, it was a massive piece of equipment, the sad part is while it looked really cool, no one knew how to properly operate it and I have a feeling it may have been worn out.
I’ve been watching this guy in the YouTube called “OX tools” he’s a tool and die maker for Lawrence Livermore, he has an annoying California accent but makes some really cool shit, and, part of what he does is repair old tools
I've never read the words "annoying california accent". The intolerance of those on the east coast with their butchering of American English is very telling of their intent. The world doesn't revolve around NYC, it revolves around the Port of L.A. , and San Pedro.

THE FEZ MAN

I've never read the words "annoying california accent". The intolerance of those on the east coast with their butchering of American English is very telling of their intent. The world doesn't revolve around NYC, it revolves around the Port of L.A. , and San Pedro.
This guy is from Northern California (San Francisco I think) and if you know accents it’s glaringly clear that’s where he’s from, I wouldn’t have ever thought about it except a good friend of mine moved there and when he comes home he sounds like that, instead of the sweet soothing sounds of his delco accent.

THE FEZ MAN

Built a new tool post I think I need to put a hook or two on it before I paint it, me New welder, with the correct wire and gas is awesome

THE FEZ MAN

Well, I finally got my tool box I’ve been waiting for, and it’s too big to fit were I intended for it to go, aaaa booooo so I put it somewhere else bummer is that it’s not really a practical size, the whole project kind of went to shit

Well, I finally got my tool box I’ve been waiting for, and it’s too big to fit were I intended for it to go, aaaa booooo so I put it somewhere else bummer is that it’s not really a practical size, the whole project kind of went to shit
"Good news, honey! You know how you've been on me to get a new nightstand...?"

ysr50

Donator
Did you ever look for that compartment in the top of your roll cab? You think you don't have it, but it's there just waiting for you to simply CLEAN the top of your box and look. Ask @THE FEZ MAN to lift a finger these days and more than likely it doesn't fit into his busy schedule.

THE FEZ MAN

Did you ever look for that compartment in the top of your roll cab? You think you don't have it, but it's there just waiting for you to simply CLEAN the top of your box and look. Ask @THE FEZ MAN to lift a finger these days and more than likely it doesn't fit into his busy schedule.
Honestly? There is a 150# granet surface plate sitting on top of the box and I can’t safely move it my self and I don’t have any friends to help me, I almost dropped a nut trying get the tool box out of my truck.

"Good news, honey! You know how you've been on me to get a new nightstand...?"
That’s about the size of it, I wanted to put it under the welding table but it’s literally 1” too tall and 1” too deep. So I put it under my other table, my original plan for the box was for precision measuring and lay out equipment anyway so putting it under my “desk” isn’t a big deal. I will just need to make a wood base to keep it off the floor

ysr50

Donator
Honestly? There is a 150# granet surface plate sitting on top of the box and I can’t safely move it my self and I don’t have any friends to help me, I almost dropped a nut trying get the tool box out of my truck.

That’s about the size of it, I wanted to put it under the welding table but it’s literally 1” too tall and 1” too deep. So I put it under my other table, my original plan for the box was for precision measuring and lay out equipment anyway so putting it under my “desk” isn’t a big deal. I will just need to make a wood base to keep it off the floor
You have Assman, until you or he shake this mortal coil you will always have Assman.

All you need to do is clean off the top of one of the other boxes, move it next to the box with the plate and figure out a way to slide it over, easy peasy.

THE FEZ MAN

You have Assman, until you or he shake this mortal coil you will always have Assman.

All you need to do is clean off the top of one of the other boxes, move it next to the box with the plate and figure out a way to slide it over, easy peasy.

Ssshhhhhhhhhh if you say his name he will come.

THE FEZ MAN

Assman.

Assman.

Assman.

Oh and guess who called me 3x yesterday you fuck.
3x I finally answered since I guess it must be important since he called 3x over about an hour.... he was so drunk he couldn’t carry on a conversation and he kept blabbering about shooting squirrels and what the cci .22 quiets sounded like I finally hung up on him, which he cried about

THE FEZ MAN

two videos of basically the same shit, the "long version" is me and the dog, and if you fast forward to about 10;20 i catch my finger in the gears.

That is an adorable little lathe. The tailstock looks kinda southbend-y.
I think Atlas for the most part had the flat ways, and most Craftsman lathes were Atlas.
Lol at the back gear eating your thumb.
Is that a 7" faceplate the chuck is mounted to?

Last edited:

THE FEZ MAN

That is an adorable little lathe. The tailstock looks kinda southbend-y.
I think Atlas for the most part had the flat ways, and most Craftsman lathes were Atlas.
Lol at the back gear eating your thumb.
Is that a 7" faceplate the chuck is mounted to?
It is a cool little lathe and I’m sure if I was ambitious I could rebuild it but like I said and you saw, that’s not the first time I’ve gotten my fingers caught in that bastard. I agree that it wants to be an atlas but I’m leaning towards south bend but the smallest lathe they made is a 9” the faceplate is a 6” with the 3” Dunlop chuck. I can’t find any reliable information for pre 1930 sears stuff, although south bend did sell and make lathes for sears back around 1910.
I just think it’s interesting that there is no markings at all and I can’t find a picture online of the exact unit

This seems to be “the site” http://vintagemachinery.org/

It is a cool little lathe and I’m sure if I was ambitious I could rebuild it but like I said and you saw, that’s not the first time I’ve gotten my fingers caught in that bastard. I agree that it wants to be an atlas but I’m leaning towards south bend but the smallest lathe they made is a 9” the faceplate is a 6” with the 3” Dunlop chuck. I can’t find any reliable information for pre 1930 sears stuff, although south bend did sell and make lathes for sears back around 1910.
I just think it’s interesting that there is no markings at all and I can’t find a picture online of the exact unit

This seems to be “the site” http://vintagemachinery.org/
The only other forum I am on is owwm.org, which is affiliated with vintagemachinery. They are mostly wooddorking, but they do have a metal side too. Incredible amount of info those old timers have in their noggins. I bet if you posted some pics someone would know what it is. There is also a BOYD - bring out your dead - where you could list it for sale. These guys move machines all around the damn country for each other, usually for free/gas money.
Another good site is lathes.uk, and of course practical machinist.