shop tools

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
The only other forum I am on is owwm.org, which is affiliated with vintagemachinery. They are mostly wooddorking, but they do have a metal side too. Incredible amount of info those old timers have in their noggins. I bet if you posted some pics someone would know what it is. There is also a BOYD - bring out your dead - where you could list it for sale. These guys move machines all around the damn country for each other, usually for free/gas money.
Another good site is lathes.uk, and of course practical machinist.
I signed up for owwn.org I figured I can get rid of it there, I really don’t want it anymore, it’s cool to look at but that’s about it

I signed up for owwn.org I figured I can get rid of it there, I really don’t want it anymore, it’s cool to look at but that’s about it
Yeah, it seems pretty well built, but it really is too small to do any real work. And you would definitely would have to make some guards for the toothy spinny bits.
I bought my SB 9" because it was a sore dick deal, but I wish it were at least a 10".

THE FEZ MAN

Having to deal with change gears also sucks.
Yea I’m either going to buy a new grizzly 10” or dig around for some older heavy iron, I don’t want to have to fart around with change gears and belt changing, I did just see a Bridgeport for 1000$ real close to my house but I don’t have that kind of cash on me right now for a toy I have no idea how to actually use

Yea I’m either going to buy a new grizzly 10” or dig around for some older heavy iron, I don’t want to have to fart around with change gears and belt changing, I did just see a Bridgeport for 1000$ real close to my house but I don’t have that kind of cash on me right now for a toy I have no idea how to actually use
Sweet. I really want to put a vfd and 3 phase motor on my sb so I can vary the motor speed and not have to do so much belt changing.

THE FEZ MAN

And it has a DRO on it... nice. I would definitely bring someone more knowledgeable with me to look at a mill. A worn out bridgeport is almost as bad as no bridgeport.
One of my drinking cronies has a machine shop (they rebuild giant pumps and valves) and I’m sure if I begged him he would go with me and check it out, you are correct about a beat mill, I’ve been watching a bunch of videos from “this old Tony” on YouTube and he got into that with a surface grinder, and his Bridgeport was worn out. I also watched one where a guy has a brand new grizzly 602 lathe that is “giving him trouble” because the fit and finish isn’t “up to snuff” I often wonder if sometimes guys buy equipment like that “cheep Chinese” thinking they are getting a $15,000 production machine for $3000, my buddy G bought a mini mill from them and has spent twice as much as the machine cost in “up grades” I just can’t justify that kind of expense. My greatest fear is buying something that is going to frustrate me from either shoddy construction or, worn out and I can’t get parts for it, or, too small to build anything practical.

Haeder

South Dakota
And the lathe is gone
Damn.

I was hoping it would be a source of entertainment for us. Videos of you making things and losing digits. Humming and swearing. Tiki eating a severed fingertip while you lay prone - passed out on the shop floor.

So long lathe.

THE FEZ MAN

That thing was fucking finger eater and, while it was “small” it took up a lot of space, I’m going to get another one but a modern one with built in DC motor DRO etc . If I’m going to teach myself machine work having a machine I can actually use is a better idea

THE FEZ MAN

You get your asking price? Who bought it? I hate that you can't reply to sale posts over there. It was much better back when you could.
A guy named Kurt came over and got it, and I gave it away, I was asking $100 but I really didn’t want anything for it he offered to immediately pay me, didn’t even “haggle” over the $100, so in my mind I got my asking price.
Yes, I know the chuck was worth $100, but, I didn’t pay anything for it, and if he really is going to restore it and use it the $100 he an spend on paint, I’m shockingly generous most of the time, especially if I have very little invested. In the case of the lathe I had maybe some wd40 and the tip of my thumb.

ysr50

Donator
That thing was fucking finger eater and, while it was “small” it took up a lot of space, I’m going to get another one but a modern one with built in DC motor DRO etc . If I’m going to teach myself machine work having a machine I can actually use is a better idea
What's a DRO? I can understand not wanting to use something that's actively trying to emulate the metal shop safety movies they used to show us. I hope a millennial ends up with his beard getting ripped off his face after whoever you sold it to restores it and sells it to some tight pant wearing steampunk.

THE FEZ MAN

What's a DRO? I can understand not wanting to use something that's actively trying to emulate the metal shop safety movies they used to show us. I hope a millennial ends up with his beard getting ripped off his face after whoever you sold it to restores it and sells it to some tight pant wearing steampunk.

Digital Read Out DRO

I helps with repeatability and laying out holes making cuts, General measuring of stuff and generally way more accurate than marking stuff buy hand or relying on the wheel indicators

ysr50

Donator
I went to a friends new house over the weekend and we, obviously, spent some time in the garage. He has that stuff on his Bridgeport mill and Jet (I think it was Jet, not sure) lathe. He was complaining about not having a big wheel sander and not enough room for one of those power hacksaw things. I mentioned that I was just happy to have a compressor and that he might like to shut the fuck up. He likes to build his own hunting rifles and there was some shavings around, as well as a couple of almost finished examples of his work, it all seemed very reasonable to me.

Last edited:

ysr50

Donator
A dro isn’t really required but saves a ton of time and figuring
I used to use CMM machines at work, although that was a while ago and the tech has advanced since then, but the one thing it taught me was to absolutely be 100% sure that your base, standard, zero or whatever had to be perfect. Which brings us back to your surface plate and the magic compartment in your tool box. Have you looked yet?

THE FEZ MAN

I used to use CMM machines at work, although that was a while ago and the tech has advanced since then, but the one thing it taught me was to absolutely be 100% sure that your base, standard, zero or whatever had to be perfect. Which brings us back to your surface plate and the magic compartment in your tool box. Have you looked yet?
No, but I did make a cover for my surface plate

THE FEZ MAN

Have you met Joey? I think you and he might have a lot in common. ( I hope you appreciate the fact I didn't tag him )
The difference is joey didn’t have the money or intelligence to waste on a safe, I don’t just don’t have the ambition to look for something I’m 99% sure isn’t there

No, but I did make a cover for my surface plate
I also made a cover for my surface plate, and also don't feel like moving it even tho it is smaller than yours. I put it on a heavy wooden wheeled table I can move around, and store my chop saw and other shit on it. I actually built the table for my pair of 6x48" belt/9"disc sanders, but they reside in pieces on the bottom of the table because they need bearings, and I am lazy.
Edit- I have come to question the squareness of the sides of my granite block because the luan cover only fits one way. Every face should be square/parallel/whatever... although I did get it for a tenner at an auction. But it was from a metrology room in a production facility, so the face is at least flat. I wish I could have had the 10'x10'x24" main surface plate, but I think my house would have sunk a bit bringing that bitch home... Not to mention the truck required, etc. Prolly went in the scrap bin... I can't imagine what it cost new.

Last edited: