shop tools

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I also made a cover for my surface plate, and also don't feel like moving it even tho it is smaller than yours. I put it on a heavy wooden wheeled table I can move around, and store my chop saw and other shit on it. I actually built the table for my pair of 6x48" belt/9"disc sanders, but they reside in pieces on the bottom of the table because they need bearings, and I am lazy.
Edit- I have come to question the squareness of the sides of my granite block because the luan cover only fits one way. Every face should be square/parallel/whatever... although I did get it for a tenner at an auction. But it was from a metrology room in a production facility, so the face is at least flat. I wish I could have had the 10'x10'x24" main surface plate, but I think my house would have sunk a bit bringing that bitch home... Not to mention the truck required, etc. Prolly went in the scrap bin... I can't imagine what it cost new.

Luan is shit and will move around. I would bet that is the problem, even a cheep framing square will tell you if your plate is correct, and I’m betting it’s a lot more square than your laun cover, I actually got a “certificate” with mine but never checked the edges for square.
A 10’x10’ plate would look awesome right in the middle of my front yard I would set it on end like the monolith in 2001 just to annoy my neighbors, and my wife

ysr50

Donator
Luan is shit and will move around. I would bet that is the problem, even a cheep framing square will tell you if your plate is correct, and I’m betting it’s a lot more square than your laun cover, I actually got a “certificate” with mine but never checked the edges for square.
A 10’x10’ plate would look awesome right in the middle of my front yard I would set it on end like the monolith in 2001 just to annoy my neighbors, and my wife
I'd use it as an outdoor seating area. I wonder how hot it would get on a summer afternoon? If I did that it would also have to be perfectly level. I doubt I'd ever tell anyone what it was.

THE FEZ MAN

My fucking blasting cabinet is acting up again, Think it needs a new air nozzle but of course I either used my spares or “put them some place safe” I also need to change out / clean the air filter in the vacuum and the lights are getting useless m assuming that the light cover Is completely frosted over I just don’t feel like taking the whole cabinet apart to change the na covers it a several hour process to do because the Chinese are cheep fuckers and used cheep hardware and nuts and bolts to hold it together so it requires two people to remove the glass,
It’s still working, it’s just painfully slow because I can’t see what I’m doing and the media is pulverized to dust, if I could find a local source I would switch it over to steel shot, but, that poses its own set of issues, mainly rusting into a solid chunk almost immediately, oh and the cheep palm sander I bought from harbor freight to act as a media vibrator shit the bed, I guess a few years of dropping media into the motor took its toll ,,,, bah, I don’t think I use it that much but apparently I use it enough to wear shit out

THE FEZ MAN

Bump.

So, I’ve been using a 12vt tractor battery for a few years as my “12vt power supply” for testing stuff, mostly light bulbs and small dc motors etc, I’ve been contemplating purchasing an actual bench top power supply, I don’t know why really other than I like things with knobs and lights on them and wires sticking out. Anyone have one and if you do what kind is it and how well does it work, what I’m interested in is being able to vary the current supply also (why I don’t know other than to possibly start a fire)
I looked at a “battery eliminator” they are relatively cheep, I don’t want to spend more than $100 for something that I’m going to use a few times a year maybe

Bump.

So, I’ve been using a 12vt tractor battery for a few years as my “12vt power supply” for testing stuff, mostly light bulbs and small dc motors etc, I’ve been contemplating purchasing an actual bench top power supply, I don’t know why really other than I like things with knobs and lights on them and wires sticking out. Anyone have one and if you do what kind is it and how well does it work, what I’m interested in is being able to vary the current supply also (why I don’t know other than to possibly start a fire)
I looked at a “battery eliminator” they are relatively cheep, I don’t want to spend more than $100 for something that I’m going to use a few times a year maybe
You can get plenty of variable bench power supplies well under $100. 0-30 volts, adjustable voltage and current limit. Better option too since if your project shorts it will kill the power rather then having a battery blow up.

Search out "variable bench power supply" on Amazon.

THE FEZ MAN

You can get plenty of variable bench power supplies well under $100. 0-30 volts, adjustable voltage and current limit. Better option too since if your project shorts it will kill the power rather then having a battery blow up.

Search out "variable bench power supply" on Amazon.
Thanks I figured you or ysr50 were the go too on this subject

Pyramid makes a reasonable one depending on your amperage requirements.

Pipe organs run on 12v dc, so i grabbed a 50 amp supply out of an organ that was getting upgraded to a new switch-mode type supply. I added a volt and amp meter and quick connects for the leads. I also use it to run my electrolysis tank when I need to de-rust anything. I would like to get a real bench supply in the future to be able to run constant volt or constant current modes, but I am cheap and have like 5 bucks into this one so I just deal with it.

ysr50

Donator
Thanks I figured you or ysr50 were the go too on this subject
I don't own one (although I'd like to), but I've used quite a few. There's lots of options, if you're just farting around in the garage I wouldn't spend a lot of money, if I was going to buy one I'd probably try to find a used Radio Shack model on eBay. If you're not trying to pull a lot of power from it a benchtop model should be fine.

Edit to add: The replacement toolbox I got is identical to yours. It does not have the secret pocket, I am disappoint.