shop tools

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Some people don't know what a number index is, the plebes like to speak of drill bits in fractions of an inch. Did you open the secret compartment?
I will admit that up until about 15 years ago I had no idea about how “precision” holes were made, I too was a “fractional” guy, I had seen references to reams and boring bars and these mythical “number/letter” drill bits but had never seen them used or under stood them, all I did notice was when I tapped a hole the bolts never fit right. Now that I have been doing more precise work (and I don’t have 3 guys breaking my shit) I think it’s time to buy a complete set.
I have not even looked for the “compartment” right now I’ve got shit piled 6” high. What is kind of funny is how many duplicates of things I own, like 4-5 cut off saws, granted they all have different thickness blades installed but still.... oh and that’s another great thing, I just found a large box full of assorted cut off wheels and grinding discs
When I get all of the stuff all organized and pretty looking maybe I will make another boring video

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
Well I'm looking to move with in the next couple months. Hoping to find a place with a work shop or garage. Right now my shed cant be worked out of, there is no power, its packed to the rafters with shit. I was looking at one of the cheap harbor freight ones and they look alright for what I need. Not to big, light enough I can move it on my own, simple construction and under $300 in case I destroy it. Pretty much hits all the criteria a entry level power tool needs. I really just wanna fiddle around with it until I get some skill in it. The other thing I was looking into was making a mini forge but I think that's a little more involved.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Harbor freight lathes are pretty shitty. I would look in the used market for a Jet or something before I would fuck with one of those hf things.
This. Don't get a HF lathe. The motor will burn up the first time you try to put any pressure on it and the belt will snap from the payload if you try to turn a decent size bowl. Search Craigslist or Ebay for a decent used Jet, Delta or an old Craftsman, if you can find one, but I would absolutely avoid HF at all cost when it comes to a lathe.

Just get a nice set of replacable tip chisels. Sooo much easier that sharpening. http://www.rockler.com/carbide-mini-turning-tool-3-piece-set
Carbide tip tools are all well and good, but that's mainly for rough gouging and not much detail work. Still gonna need some spindle gouges, parting tools and a skew.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002

I’ve got fucking issues

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012

I’ve got fucking issues
I have a couple of little plastic tackle boxes and at least one large jar full of random hardware. Bearings, bolts, screws, nuts, none of it will help you work on your house. I'm going to dig through it this weekend and pretend I threw all of it away, it'll all still be there just in a different spot.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
I have a couple of little plastic tackle boxes and at least one large jar full of random hardware. Bearings, bolts, screws, nuts, none of it will help you work on your house. I'm going to dig through it this weekend and pretend I threw all of it away, it'll all still be there just in a different spot.
So, that photo is after about an hour of sorting through that pile, which is actually “drawer of treasure 2” about 6-8 years ago it got so full I couldn’t close it, so I scooped out about 3/4 of it and tossed it in a bucket which I still have.

I have my reasons, for sifting through the drawer, Most of the stuff in there is actually perfectly good and brand new. but looks like shit because the paint is getting worn off the bottom of the drawer and coating the hardware. What happened is my bad habit of going to the “pick a nut” and grabbing a handful of stuff, not using all of it on the project and instead of putting it back I would toss it in the treasure drawer, now that I’m not working in a body shop (where I had boxes of brand new special hardware) I want to have ready access to the stuff, so, I bought a huge bin cabinet and those little yellow plastic cups. Out of that drawer I pulled at least a box of black oxide #10 “wheel Well screws” along with a box of 6mm 150 fender bolts of assorted lengths and washer sizes a nice hand full of 6/.125 shoulder bolts (they hold your bumper cover on or your head lamp assembly’s) an entire bin of brand new washers a box of assorted pop rivets all kinds of shit that I will absolutely need, like plastic nutserts and those bastard plastic body clips that hold in wheel wells and mud flaps, I did save some shit I need to toss but that can wait. I plan on sorting it out again because I have two more “compartment cabinets” those ones with the little plastic drawers where you can never find anything full of shit, I hate those kinds of containers I want to eventually swap them out for the clear plastic boxes with the adjustable size compartments

So, for the most part I have completely emptied my tool boxes and sifted through all the shit, sorted out all of my tools, actually decided to dump some of them. I’ve got a 30 year old set of old school blue point ratcheting box wrenches I haven’t touched since I bought my first set of gear wrenches, along with stuff that was given to me over the years and never ever used, and decided to consolidate my “auto body specific” tools into two drawers because I am not going to be using them on a daily basis, I will take a photo of my one dolly drawer (used to be 3) snap on should be proud I guarantee I’m pushing the 360# weight limit on that one. I greased up and wrapped all my Dolly’s, spoons and slappers in plastic to keep them from rusting. My body hammers are all in one drawer... I’m quite pleased, by doing this I have effectively created another toolbox. I still have days of “organizing” but getting everything out and cleaned up was monumental.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
All those cars that came with a part with 5 bolts that left with 4. I have a drawer of the same.

In my case it was a mix of that, and saving hardware from used parts, along with the too lazy to return unused new hardware. “Back in the day” when I worked at my old shop (pre glorious leader) the guy was insanely cheep, like detrimentaly cheep, and he refused to buy any type of hardware, so I got into the habit of saving everything and anything That I could possibly reuse, even stuff That I should throw away, that drawer is just the tip of the iceberg, I had 5gallon buckets of used hardware, what always sucked was the complete lack of any type of organization.
Glorious leader used to give me shit about saving used sand paper and empty rolls of tape, when I worked for dave, I had to turn in the empty rolls of tape, boxes of used sandpaper, grinding discs, empty paint and thinner containers... any and every consumable had to be turned in so I could reorder, it got so ingrained in me that I stilll do it, during my cleaning I have found countless “hubs” from cut off wheels, beat to death grinding discs, and I have an entire cabinet of “lightly used” sand paper

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
In my case it was a mix of that, and saving hardware from used parts, along with the too lazy to return unused new hardware. “Back in the day” when I worked at my old shop (pre glorious leader) the guy was insanely cheep, like detrimentaly cheep, and he refused to buy any type of hardware, so I got into the habit of saving everything and anything That I could possibly reuse, even stuff That I should throw away, that drawer is just the tip of the iceberg, I had 5gallon buckets of used hardware, what always sucked was the complete lack of any type of organization.
Glorious leader used to give me shit about saving used sand paper and empty rolls of tape, when I worked for dave, I had to turn in the empty rolls of tape, boxes of used sandpaper, grinding discs, empty paint and thinner containers... any and every consumable had to be turned in so I could reorder, it got so ingrained in me that I stilll do it, during my cleaning I have found countless “hubs” from cut off wheels, beat to death grinding discs, and I have an entire cabinet of “lightly used” sand paper
That's fucking shitty. Most of the times I just kept the extra bolts or screws that came with new parts. Or if they superseded new parts with different hardwear I would keep the old ones. Most hyundais are completely built with 10 mm bolts so you can never have enough laying around of different thread types and lengths. I dropped a few in a body fixing the mother in laws car a couple weeks ago. The hinges on her rear glass hatch were corroded so when she opened it she had to shove it full power and and snapped them both off. Luckily I had a box with just those bolts in my shed.

Turfmower

Jan 17, 2005
Jersey

I’ve got fucking issues
i had this too but in almost ready do dump them in a 5 gallon buckets and take take them to the scarp yard i dot give a fuck if o get 2 bucks for them I kept that bo;f off my 1972 Ford van since 1983 im going to bet payed 10 bucks a hundred pay up

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
i had this too but in almost ready do dump them in a 5 gallon buckets and take take them to the scarp yard i dot give a fuck if o get 2 bucks for them I kept that bo;f off my 1972 Ford van since 1983 im going to bet payed 10 bucks a hundred pay up
Jesus are you having a stroke or just drunk

Turfmower

Jan 17, 2005
Jersey
i have a ton of old bolts im sick of looking at them and 7 ipa in so

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002

Well apparently putting all those dollies in the same drawer was a shitty idea

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona

Well apparently putting all those dollies in the same drawer was a shitty idea
Well fuck me - is that roll cab with the side locker integral? That's the one I kept for myself - and never seen another one til now. That ain't the Anniversary one is it?

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Well fuck me - is that roll cab with the side locker integral? That's the one I kept for myself - and never seen another one til now. That ain't the Anniversary one is it?
Yep, it’s the 75th anniversary edition I have the emblems somewhere I took them off because they were getting trashed

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
Yep, it’s the 75th anniversary edition I have the emblems somewhere I took them off because they were getting trashed
Christ, does that mean I have to pull the stainless top and look for the stupid secret compartment? I'm 99.9% sure it doesn't have one....

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Christ, does that mean I have to pull the stainless top and look for the stupid secret compartment? I'm 99.9% sure it doesn't have one....
It doesn’t have one, he’s taliking about the older KRL 1000

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
I need to anyways - been procrastinating for years with mounting my Wilton vise on it - maybe Saturday...
I was going to pull the top off mine today before the tipping incident, that kind of blew the wind out of my sails, and I had to reorganize the box after the tip

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
I dropped my brand new cordless impact gun into a bucket of water! For like 2 seconds

It didnt have the battery installed

I blew it out real good thru the air vents with my compressor, and it seemed to be working fine

Still paranoid, took it completely apart, there was still water droplets in there throughout the unit, gave it more air

There is a circuit board in there, which has me worried most, but it appears fine

Think it will be OK, or should I just return it to be safe?