Shots fired at Virginia Tech

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Va. Tech: Police Officer Shot Near Campus

RICHMOND, Va. December 8, 2011 (AP)

Virginia Tech says a police officer has been shot and a possible second victim has been reported at a parking lot near the campus, where 32 students and faculty died in a 2007 rampage that was the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

Authorities are seeking a suspect. A campus-wide alert tells students and faculty to stay inside and lock doors.

A law enforcement official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case, said initial reports indicated that the shooting occurred following a traffic stop.

The shooting comes the same day as Virginia Tech is appealing a $55,000 fine by the Education Department in connection with the university's response to a 2007 rampage that left 33 people dead.

The suspect is described as a white male wearing gray sweat pants, gray hat with neon green brim, maroon hoodie and backpack.

A message left with the university wasn't immediately returned. Campus police referred all questions to the university.

A student gunman killed 32 students and faculty and then shot himself on the campus in 2007.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/va-tech-police-officer-shot-campus-15114207#.TuEDEFsnQko

Fustercluck

Jul 25, 2005
FEMA Region 9
I'm watching fox news at the moment cover this, does Virginia have one cop who isn't overweight?

Arch Stanton

It's all about the funny!
Nov 22, 2004
Long Island
I was still stunned when I saw it was 32 last time. 2007, 32 people. How do you over come that? Still shocking to read that.

On this one, kill the perp...slowly.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
This makes no sense, guns are outlawed on college campuses, how could this happen?

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Apparently two dead now. On R&F a caller said they had caught the guy, but no media is confirming it yet.

Va. Tech locks down after gunman kills 2

BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman killed a police officer and another person after a traffic stop Thursday on the campus of Virginia Tech, the school said, and students and faculty were told to stay inside university buildings as police searched for the suspect.

Authorities believe the suspect is still armed, CBS affiliate WDBJ reports.

It was the first shooting on campus since 33 people were killed in 2007 in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

A source told CBS News that a campus police officer - apparently a female officer - was killed during a routine traffic stop near McComas Hall. The shooter ran toward a nearby parking lot, where a second person was found dead. It was not immediately clear if that person was also shot to death.

TV footage showed heavily armed officers walking around campus. Caravans of SWAT vehicles and other police cars with emergency lights flashing patrolled nearby. The FBI has two officers from the Roanoke office on scene, CBS News had learned.

"The campus community should continue to shelter in place and visitors should not come to campus," the school said.

The suspect was described as a white man wearing gray sweat pants, a gray hat with neon green brim, a maroon hoodie and backpack.

"It's crazy that someone would go and do something like that with all the stuff that happened in 2007," said Corey Smith, a 19-year-old sophomore from Mechanicsville, Va., who was headed to a dining hall near the site of one of the shootings.

He told The Associated Press that he stayed inside after seeing the alerts from the school. "It's just weird to think about why someone would do something like this when the school's had so many problems," Smith said.

Harry White, 20, a junior physics major, said he was in line for a sandwich at a restaurant in a campus building when he received the text message alert.

White said he didn't panic, thinking instead about a false alarm about a possible gunman that locked down the campus in August. White used an indoor walkway to go to a computer lab in an adjacent building, where he checked news reports.

"I decided to just check to see how serious it was. I saw it's actually someone shooting someone, not something false, something that looks like a gun," White said.

Campus was quieter than usual because classes ended Wednesday and students were preparing for exams.

The shooting came the same day as Virginia Tech was appealing a $55,000 fine by the U.S. Education Department in connection with the university's response to the 2007 rampage.

A report of a possible gunman at Virginia Tech on Aug. 4 set off the longest, most extensive lockdown and search on campus since the 2007 bloodbath led the university to overhaul its emergency procedures. No gunman was found, and the school gave the all-clear about five hours after sirens began wailing and students and staff members started receiving warnings by phone, email and text message to lock themselves indoors. Alerts were also posted on the university's website and Twitter accounts.

That incident marked the first time the entire campus was locked down since the 2007 shooting.

The system was also put to the test in 2008, when an exploding nail gun cartridge was mistaken for gunfire. Only one dorm was locked down during that emergency, and it reopened two hours later.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57339465/va-tech-cop-1-other-killed-gunman-sought/

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
At least this time it sounds like they bothered to warn people so it didn't turn into another 30+ slaughtered.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
At least now we know where American Horror Story Season 2 willl take place.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
At least this time it sounds like they bothered to warn people so it didn't turn into another 30+ slaughtered.
I honestly wish a civilian bystander had popped the fucker today. The irony would have been thundering.

Nigga please... gun laws save lives!:rolleyes:
:trollol:

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
This makes no sense, guns are outlawed on college campuses, how could this happen?
That is odd. Mexico bans guns and its a peaceful paradise, in Switzerland every male is required to have a rifle and go through training and 378 thousand million people die every week because of it. Chicago is another great example on how gun bans can make crime and murder go down. I say we free the killers and lock up the guns.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
... a second person was found dead. It was not immediately clear if that person was also shot to death.
Check for holes. Submerge the corpse in water and see if bubbles escape it.

That is odd. Mexico bans guns and its a peaceful paradise, in Switzerland every male is required to have a rifle and go through training and 378 thousand million people die every week because of it. Chicago is another great example on how gun bans can make crime and murder go down. I say we free the killers and lock up the guns.
What happens when the guns get out of prison? All you've done is taught the guns how to be better weapons. We're never going to solve the gun crime problem until we start sending the guns to death row.