Should TSA Pat Down 95 Year-Old-Lady? That Depends...

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
TSA stands by officers after pat-down of elderly woman in Florida

By the CNN Wire Staff
June 26, 2011 10:26 p.m. EDT

(CNN) -- The Transportation Security Administration stood by its security officers Sunday after a Florida woman complained that her cancer-stricken, 95-year-old mother was patted down and forced to remove her adult diaper while going through security.

Reports of the incident took hold in social media, with scores of comments on the topic and reposts appearing hourly on Twitter Sunday afternoon.

The TSA released a statement Sunday defending its agents' actions at the Northwest Florida Regional Airport.
"While every person and item must be screened before entering the secure boarding area, TSA works with passengers to resolve security alarms in a respectful and sensitive manner," the federal agency said. "We have reviewed the circumstances involving this screening and determined that our officers acted professionally and according to proper procedure."

Jean Weber told CNN's Fredricka Whitfield on Sunday that the security officers may have been procedurally correct, but she still does not believe they were justified, especially given her mother's frail condition.
"If this is your procedure -- which I do understand -- I also feel that your procedure needs to be changed," she said.

Weber said the two were traveling June 18 from northwest Florida to Michigan, so her mother could move in with relatives before eventually going to an assisted living facility.

"My mother is very ill, she has a form of leukemia," Weber said. "She had a blood transfusion the week before, just to bolster up her strength for this travel."

While going through security, the 95-year-old was taken by a TSA officer into a glassed-in area, where a pat-down was performed, Weber said. An agent told Weber "they felt something suspicious on (her mother's) leg and they couldn't determine what it was" -- leading them to take her into a private, closed room.

Soon after, Weber said, a TSA agent came out and told her that her mother's Depend undergarment was "wet and it was firm, and they couldn't check it thoroughly." The mother and daughter left to find a bathroom, at the TSA officer's request, to take off the adult diaper.

Weber said she burst into tears during the ordeal, forcing her own pat-down and other measures in accordance with TSA protocol. But she said her mother, a nurse for 65 years, "was very calm" despite being bothered by the fact that she had to go through the airport without underwear.

Eventually, Weber said she asked for her mother to be whisked away to the boarding gate without her, because their plane was scheduled to leave in two minutes and Weber was still going through security.

By this weekend, the 95-year-old woman -- who was not identified by name -- was doing "fine" in Michigan, where her niece and her family "was treating her like royalty because they love her so much."
"My mother is a trouper," Weber said.

This is not the first time that the TSA's pat-downs of passengers have come under fire, nor the first time that the agency has rallied behind its officers and policy.

Last year, the administration announced it was ramping up the use of full-body scanning and pat-downs to stop nonmetallic threats, including explosives, from getting on planes. The goal is to head off attacks such as the one allegedly attempted in Christmas 2009 by Umar Farouk AbdulMutallab, who allegedly had a bomb sewn into his underwear on a flight from the Netherlands to Michigan.

The TSA estimates that only 3% of passengers are subjected to pat-downs -- and then only after they have set off a metal detector or declined to step into a full-body scanner. Yet the new policy has triggered an uproar online and in airports, from a relatively small but vocal number of travelers who feel their rights and privacy were being violated.

But the federal safety agency hasn't backed down, making some adjustments but no major changes to its policy.

"Every traveler is a critical partner in TSA's efforts to keep our skies safe," Administrator John Pistole, who ordered the new approach, said last fall. "And I know and appreciate that the vast majority of Americans recognize and respect the important work we do."

More recently, outrage erupted over a video-recorded pat-down of a 6-year-old passenger last April at New Orleans' airport. The video, which was posted on YouTube, shows the girl protesting the search by a female security officer at first, though she complies quietly while it is underway.

Pistole addressed this controversy at a Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee meeting last week, explaining the pat-down was ordered because the child had moved while passing through a body imaging machine. He told committee members that "we have changed the policy (so) that there'll be repeated efforts made to resolve that without a pat-down."

The next day, TSA spokesman Greg Soule said that the new policy -- which will apply to children age 12 and younger -- is in the process of being rolled out. It will give security officers "more options," but does not eliminate pat-downs as one of them.

"This decision will ultimately reduce -- though not eliminate -- pat-downs," Soule said.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/06/26/florida.tsa.incident/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
So her Depends were wet and firm? She's 95 years old. Is there any other way you expect them to be? If the TSA feels it's necessary to go through this horseshit on a regular basis, they should be the ones to have to deal with the inevitable situations that may arise in the process.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
How about we disband the TSA already.

They haven't stopped one diaper wearing lunatic hellbent on destroying the US of A. All they've accomplished is destroying the intent of the Bill of Rights.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
If I gotta be patted down then everybody, including 2 year olds and 99 year olds do too. Fuck 'em.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Aspartame, globalists, flouride, snake people, moonjews, mind control, etc
(Before Kirk shows up)

Owenay

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed...
May 10, 2007
Bizarro World
I wonder how many burqas they've asked to be removed.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
Haven't you seen mission impossible? A terrorist could easily disguise themselves as an old lady or a 7 year old and kill everyone.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Haven't you seen mission impossible? A terrorist could easily disguise themselves as an old lady or a 7 year old and kill everyone.
Does that mean I can jump from an exploding helicopter onto a speeding train while its going through a tunnel? Or have a stick of gum that makes things all explody? Fucking sweet.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Fuck you, faggot America. No profiling = this. We deserve this TSA bullshit. We brought it on ourselves.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
Patrice has talked about this before how these people are like robots and instead of being human and understanding common sense and logic they just follow their script. They are probably told to search every 30th person and instead of being human and saying its a waste of time to search the 2 year olds diapers they just do it because they are following their script.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
They don't act human because they're not. They are trained apes. Poorly trained apes.

bb1mobile

wackbag's special mod
Wackbag Staff
Jul 10, 2007
Just wandering around

I'll agree with you that they way thing are being handled sucks
but it's not for the reasons you think. It's not some grand plan to
subjugate the masses. It's plain laziness and a fear of appearing
racist. Easier to check everyone than profile and check only the
suspicious and less likey to have to defend from the people that
most often end up being searched.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
Nope, its slave training. They want to get the sheeple use to being treated like prisoners. Political correctness and all that other nonsense is just used to get the public to accept everyone getting the guilty prisoner treatment.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Fuck you, faggot America. No profiling = this. We deserve this TSA bullshit. We brought it on ourselves.
How do we know there wasn't something suspicious about her? I'm guessing the terrorists are cheering the loudest about the random searches and the picking-on of little kids and old grannies. Once the TSA declares they will no longer search certain individuals, we will have nothing to fear, right?

DJ Evel Ed

MayYourCumCrustedCocksBeConstantlyCoveredInCunt
Nov 30, 2003
Up your ass!
Even if the TSA scoped everyone's rectums before a flight, if a group wants to take the plane they will. Ever since I saw a prison inmate make a shank in ONE minute out of of 3 coffee lids, I realized that stewardess pass out things that can be melted down to make a weapon in seconds. TSA is so worried about explosives and guns but a shank can be made from ANYTHING plastic or metal.
I can't believe how people are willing to give up their rights for some fantasy of security.

It reminds me when John Wayne lays the rope around the lady to keep the snakes & bugs away. It may not work but it makes you feel better.

Well FUCK John Wayne! Randolph Scott could kick his ass anyway.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
Even if the TSA scoped everyone's rectums before a flight, if a group wants to take the plane they will. Ever since I saw a prison inmate make a shank in ONE minute out of of 3 coffee lids, I realized that stewardess pass out things that can be melted down to make a weapon in seconds. TSA is so worried about explosives and guns but a shank can be made from ANYTHING plastic or metal.
I can't believe how people are willing to give up their rights for some fantasy of security.

It reminds me when John Wayne lays the rope around the lady to keep the snakes & bugs away. It may not work but it makes you feel better.

Well FUCK John Wayne! Randolph Scott could kick his ass anyway.
They leave the borders wide open and refuse to protect the borders and every day the drug cartels are moving their war further north and they expect us to believe that all this "security" at the airport is for our safety. None o fthis has anything to do with safety or with being politically correct.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Those are useless in a plane with armored doors. An explosive or firearm doesn't care if it's in the cockpit or not.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
How do we know there wasn't something suspicious about her? I'm guessing the terrorists are cheering the loudest about the random searches and the picking-on of little kids and old grannies. Once the TSA declares they will no longer search certain individuals, we will have nothing to fear, right?
We can't know for sure, but in general, personal judgement and evaluation of each passenger is just not the policy employed, so it could have been either. If the TSA was a screening organization that did this based on something other than randomness, I would have had no problem with this. Grannies have been known to smuggle drugs on planes before. I just have a feeling that this is the TSA being the TSA, and it is America's fault for not stomaching non-PC security measures.

And you are giving the savages too much credit. Disrupting Americans' travel schedules is not their goal. Killing Americans is.