Shower tile help.

cozzie

head retard
Aug 7, 2005
Norristown PA
Basically here's the deal, the grout between my tiles are starting to crack. It is happening inside the shower and outside as well. The tiles themselves are fine. The tiles are maybe 8x10. The guy who lived here before tried to fix things up, and he messed up a few things. My question is did he mess something up or are the cracks in the grout just from settling. I've done basic tile work on the floor ,making a bar , etc. Just wondering if i need to scrape out & regrout the joints then seal them or do I need professional help.

I'll try to post some pics tommorrow, I live in Hunterton Cty NJ, so if anyone around pm please. TY.

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Feb 10, 2006
Oceanside, NY
I guess it depends on how bad the cracks are... pics will help.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Basically here's the deal, the grout between my tiles are starting to crack. It is happening inside the shower and outside as well. The tiles themselves are fine. The tiles are maybe 8x10. The guy who lived here before tried to fix things up, and he messed up a few things. My question is did he mess something up or are the cracks in the grout just from settling. I've done basic tile work on the floor ,making a bar , etc. Just wondering if i need to scrape out & regrout the joints then seal them or do I need professional help.

I'll try to post some pics tommorrow, I live in Hunterton Cty NJ, so if anyone around pm please. TY.
Get some good pics up, I can advise you.

cozzie

head retard
Aug 7, 2005
Norristown PA
small cracks some the whole length of the tile , grout line is maybe 1/4 " camera is at my buddies will have pics tom.

got my buddy bringing the camerea , hopefully have them up in a 1/2 hour

Apr 22, 2005
Bucks Co., PA
Yeah, get the pics. I'm in Bucks Pa just across the river from you, so you have some local help.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Pics will help, but if it's just cracks in the grout and the tiles are
not lifting you may be able to just remove the grout, replace it and
reseal it with out too much trouble. I've seen alot of tile jobs that
look bad but are just poor grouting jobs.

cozzie

head retard
Aug 7, 2005
Norristown PA
Left Outside of Shower

Right Outside of Shower

Inside

Inside

Inside

Inside

Outside Top Right

took all pics vert with the camera so they need to be turned upright which i have no idea how to do.

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
get a grout remover ( lil hand tool) scrape it out regrout reseal.....simple rainy day job,boring but easy

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
Looks to me like the grout was done pretty well. I've seen much worse.
The cracking is most likely from movement in the walls, not from bad grout application.
The 90 degree joints at the floor and wall corners should always be done with a urethane caulk that matches the grout color.
Not silicone, it doesn't bond well to the tiles over time.
Urethane caulk is flexible, ridiculously strong, and bonds very well.
It's also hard apply well. Practice first, it's not very forgiving.

The crack you have in the flat wall is probably along a seam in the backer board that wasn't taped properly, or doesn't have wood between the studs horizontally along the seam to strengthen the joint.

Not a lot you can do about that, just regrout it and keep it watertight.
If you don't care about a perfect match on the flat surface, you could caulk that row. It won't look right, but it'll last longer.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
That shouldn't be too bad to repair. I agree with the suggestion about using caulk instead of grout at the floor and wall corners. WMB is a pro at this stuff. He'll steer ya right.

Mafialife Chris

Mafialife Owner
Feb 2, 2005
get a grout remover ( lil hand tool) scrape it out regrout reseal.....simple rainy day job,boring but easy
I second that from experience as well.

Your fine. Unless you see mold.

If your seeing mold, you may need cement board after a good cleaning.

After reviewing the pics, i'd say your good to just regrout.

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
Do you not have Mexicans in Hunterton City? They usually carry them at your local Home Depot. They can fix just about anything. Buena suerte, Hermano.

Apr 22, 2005
Bucks Co., PA

cozzie

head retard
Aug 7, 2005
Norristown PA
thanks for all the help, I think i'll tackle this little job this weekend.