Showtime Winter Sunday: Shameless, Californication, House of Lies

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I know I should watch Shameless, and I will get to it eventually probably. I'm not entirely sure about watching Californication.

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
I have never been into Californication, but Emmy Rossum is great in Shameless. I'm really looking forward to House of Lies w/Cheedle and Kristen Bell

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I've seen every episode of Californication and I can't feel comfortable saying I like the show.

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
I've seen every episode of Californication and I can't feel comfortable saying I like the show.
Thats how I felt a couple of seasons into Entourage. If only I'd tapped out when I felt that way I would have been spared that garbage.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
Love Shameless, but first episode of season 2 wasn't very good. Pretty gimmicky and ridiculous. I liked Emmy's bosoms though.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
I wonder if Showtime has a direct order from the top to start shows out strong, then let them turn to shit. If so, they are very good at their jobs.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
This is how I feel. I feel like you get 15 minutes of good/great entertainment for every hour the show runs. I put it basically on the same level as Entourage, but will continue watching.

Shameless is great.

First I heard about House of Lies, but after watching the trailer it looks entertaining.

Fuck Showtime/Youtube for having an advertisement before the fucking trailer (which is an advertisement itself).

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I guess I'm the only one who loves Californication. Moody/runkle is one of the best TV comedy pairs ever in my opinion.

Watching house of lies now. This might be the worst tv show I've ever seen. The fact that Kristin bell will never bother to show her tits or even her ass makes it even more pointless. Don Cheadle deserves better than this

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I rank Californication much higher than Entourage, and I prefer Moody and Runkle to everyone on Entourage, including Ari (at least in the later seasons). Runkle > Moody though. And I though Rob Lowe was pretty good last (?) season. But the show itself...there's something about it that keeps it watchable ... but not likeable.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I rank Californication much higher than Entourage, and I prefer Moody and Runkle to everyone on Entourage, including Ari (at least in the later seasons). Runkle > Moody though. And I though Rob Lowe was pretty good last (?) season. But the show itself...there's something about it that keeps it watchable ... but not likeable.
I wouldn't rank it "much higher" but it is better. I had the feeling that before Hank confessed to fucking the underage girl the show was kind of spinning its wheels (same feeling I got from Entourage), although the last season did pick up a little bit. I do like the Hank/Runkle combination, but the side-plots for the most part aren't very interesting in my opinion.

XMScott

Its Business Time!
Aug 6, 2004
House of Lies was pretty disappointing. Ok moments, but overall.....meh. One or two weeks more & I'm out if it doesn't improve drastically.
Wow. That's a big decision based on a PILOT! One episode?

Shamleless is the shit. Californication is ok.

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Jun 20, 2005
Alabama
Probably the never ending buffet of new tits every week.

As for House of Lies, it was meh last night. It could be good or it could go to shit fast. Just really depends on how they go with it. I am curious to whether it will be a new sell each week or if they stick in some spots for a few weeks making sells. Either way, I don't see it having legs for multiple season without becoming like Entourage fast.

TJLamb0518

Jumping That Shark....
Nov 8, 2002
East Islip, NY
I liked House of Lies. But then, I work for one of the corporate evils it talks to. And Cheadle is the bomb in everything. As far as Kristen Bell....you never know. I figured when I heard Emmy Rossum was in Shameless that we'd never see the goods and I was so, so wonderfully wrong. Bell isn't exactly burning up the movie box office, so anything is possible.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
So is anyone watching House of Lies? I punched out after the horrific pilot, but I'm curious as to whether my "No nudity for Kristin Bell" prediction was right.

Is this the last season for Californication? If so, it's pretty obvious where they're going - Hank finally figures it out with Karen and then gets murdered by Samurai Apocalypse for banging his chick. I suppose there are worse ways to end the series than Hank getting shot and killed by The RZA. In fact, it seems almost normal to end the series with Hank's death. I hope we at least get to see Meagan Good's funbags before Hank dies for them.

Edit - Just looked it up and it appears Showtime just renewed it for Season 6. So no body bag for Hank just yet.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
So is anyone watching House of Lies? I punched out after the horrific pilot, but I'm curious as to whether my "No nudity for Kristin Bell" prediction was right.

Is this the last season for Californication? If so, it's pretty obvious where they're going - Hank finally figures it out with Karen and then gets murdered by Samurai Apocalypse for banging his chick. I suppose there are worse ways to end the series than Hank getting shot and killed by The RZA. In fact, it seems almost normal to end the series with Hank's death. I hope we at least get to see Meagan Good's funbags before Hank dies for them.
I would have put money on Tommy dying at the end of Rescue Me and we saw what happened there. (The more I think about it, the more him getting his happy ending bothers me. It also hurt that they made the most powerful scene of the episode if not the series a dream sequence at the start of the finale.)

I don't see Californication as a show that needs to lead to Hank's death. Either way it's pointless as Lies, Shame, and Cali were all renewed.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
The finale of Rescue Me was one of the worst endings I can remember.

I think Californication should end in Hank's death because they've established that death is the only thing that could conceivably break Hank's cycle of self destructive behavior. I suppose they could just end the series without any real "what happens to these folks" kind of resolution and just have Hank and Runkle giggling at each other as they ride off into the sunset, but I'm hoping for something more final.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
The finale of Rescue Me was one of the worst endings I can remember.
Lost, Smallville. I've seen a lot worse.

I think Californication should end in Hank's death because they've established that death is the only thing that could conceivably break Hank's cycle of self destructive behavior. I suppose they could just end the series without any real "what happens to these folks" kind of resolution and just have Hank and Runkle giggling at each other as they ride off into the sunset, but I'm hoping for something more final.
The thing with Cali is that while Hank might be self destructive, I don't think the show ever entered into the darkness required for the main character to die at the end. He's a dude who always manages to skirt trouble, and he brings a coolness to his fuck-ups that Tommy Gavin never had. He's a character trying and failing at redemption, not a character unable to be redeemed. If that makes sense.

Then again, I'm a month behind on the show so I don't know if it fully embraced a darker, more dramatic side of its being.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California

Edit - Just looked it up and it appears Showtime just renewed it for Season 6. So no body bag for Hank just yet.
I'm watching House of Lies still. It's worse than Californication but worth the ~20 minutes in my opinion. There are a couple of laughs every episode among the predictable jokes. No real conflict so I don't know where it's going to go.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I like House of Lies, but it's probably because part of my job sometimes involves me being very similar to Cheadle's character and slinging the bullshit to make or save a deal. (Though I do actually provide a service, it's not like the show)

I could never get into Californication. Nothing about it was interesting to me beyond the random hot actress you know from something else getting naked.

Shameless rules. The characters are so strong that my wife can't watch it because she hates Frank so much.

XMScott

Its Business Time!
Aug 6, 2004
Californication killed last night. I had permasmile through most of it.

House of Lies is just ok.

I just got my copy of the Big C Season 1. Never watched it. Saw all of season 2 and LOVE IT. Will start that tonight. Only 9 ep's and i know what happens.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Just watched the last episode of Shameless. How low Frank would go wasn't surprising, even when he was turning tricks with guys to make money to get Ian back, but what he did to that poor woman ... He is just complete shit for a human being.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
He's a character trying and failing at redemption, not a character unable to be redeemed. If that makes sense.

Then again, I'm a month behind on the show so I don't know if it fully embraced a darker, more dramatic side of its being.
That was kind of the point of last week's episode, and the series. Hank's opportunity for redemption comes from his idealistic view of his relationship with Karen and his daughter. However, his inability to control his behavior outside of that relationship is the thing that prevents him from being in it. Which kind of leads me to the conclusion that the only way Karen and Becca will accept an idealized view of their relationship with Hank is when he's dead. This is one of the major themes of Hollywood, (Not recognizing someone's brilliance until their death) so it seems like a very logical place for the show to go.