Siberia (On NBC) fake? or Totally fake?

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
Yeah...so I'm watching the Blair Survivor Mole project on NBC...which is obviously fake and not even committed to their original premise when they are immediately offered this camp to stay in..Then the Mole...I mean contestant Sabina (Last one shown in the credits) is already there and oddly never shown from the moment they start their run to the camp...obviously intentionally omitted...Soooo Real...Also the fact that the game show is airing in the U.S. means that under FCC rules they cannot have any contests involving intellectual skill on a fake game show (Section 508 of the Communications Act of 1934)...So if we do not see any puzzles etc for prizes (as the real game survivor does) we will know this is indeed fake...Or NBC could lose their FCC license.

I'm guessing that some people are in cahoots with the producers to fuck with the contestants...

How the hell did that plant Sabine make it to the cabins first? They did say there are no rules so perhaps the producers helped her out and it technically wasn't cheating because there are no rules..

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Its filmed in Manitoba province Canada. Clearly the name deceiving. Fake so fake

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
ha....that's hilarious because I was wondering how all these people from around the world got visas to film in Russia...

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
Nice...thanks for the Manitoba...I googled that and found the only article that wasn't somehow a re-print of an nbc heavy promo article...and it indeed confirms it's massively fake...

By Rob Owen / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
NBC acquired the international production "Siberia" and has slotted it for 10 p.m. Monday, which may force the show to live up to its title as a viewer-free wasteland if it's frozen out of Nielsen ratings glory by the competing "Under the Dome" on CBS.
"Dome" opened with a huge 13.5 million viewers watching last Monday, the best summer drama ratings debut since "2000 Malibu Road" in 1992. "Road" lasted only six episodes. So it's possible the air could leak out of "Dome," too, but initially it seems like "Siberia" will be facing a ratings Goliath.
'Siberia'
When: 10 p.m. Monday, NBC.
Starring: Jonathon Buckley.​
That's too bad because even though the "Siberia" pilot has its missteps, the show's concept is interesting enough to warrant tuning in.
Although "Siberia" is scripted and cast with actors, it's filmed to look like a reality show that sends 16 strangers into the wilds of North Asia's Siberian wilderness -- the show was actually shot in Manitoba, Canada -- where they have a chance to win $500,000 if they can survive the winter.
Host Jonathon Buckley -- all the actors use their real names -- tells contestants in a Phil Keoghan-like accent that there are no rules, but if they cross a certain line near their encampment, they will be out of the game. A red button nearby can be pushed to call for a helicopter to spirit them away.
Mr. Buckley tells the players that their encampment was first settled in 1908 by fur traders who mysteriously abandoned it never to be heard from again, a plot point reminiscent of the Lost Colony of Roanoke on North Carolina's Outer Banks.
Most of the first hour is devoted to the contestants' trek from a drop-off point to their camp. It gives "Siberia" the chance to introduce its characters, who are all archetypes familiar to reality show viewers.
There's the conceited, obnoxious country boy (Johnny Wactor), the snooty model (Esther Anderson), the helpful environmentalist (Tommy Mountain), the friendly geek (Daniel Sutton), etc.
A viewer coming into "Siberia" without forewarning could easily confuse it with an actual reality show. It starts to feel different when contestant Sabina shows up at the camp seemingly ahead of everyone else and from out of nowhere. And then the creepy, growling sounds from the woods start and "Siberia" shifts from reality TV mimicry to something closer in tone to "The Blair Witch Project."
Hand-held cameras show a desperate cameraman's point of view as what sounds like a dinosaur chases him through the woods. Or something.
The "Siberia" pilot's downfall is that it takes almost the full first hour to deviate from reality show tropes to clue viewers in that what they're watching is something different from the umpteenth iteration of "Survivor."
Finally, "Siberia" starts to get fun -- and then the first episode is over. It's a good hook to draw viewers back, but only if they stick with the show long enough to make it that far.
Written and directed by newcomer Matthew Arnold, "Siberia" holds the promise of a weekly dose of spooky summer entertainment. Viewers will have to tune in again to see if the show delivers.
TV writer Rob Owen: rowen@post-gazette.com or 412-263-2582. Read the Tuned In Journal blog at post-gazette.com/tv. Follow RobOwenTV on T

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/ae/tv-radio/a-unique-twist-on-reality-tv-siberia-faces-stiff-competition-693591/#ixzz2XqunFSve

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
Watched this earlier after that Ninja show. Went into it blind and stupidly thought it was an actual reality show until they all got spooked by animals making noises.

There were a few small things before that that made me wonder, but that did it.

I don't know how I feel about it, but I love the idea behind it.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
I was thinking about watching this and the Bear Grylls show starting next week.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Watched this earlier after that Ninja show.
Did you watch the entire epi of American Ninja Warrior? My dvr cut out at the end and I was wondering if the final guy made it through? He made it further than anyone else last year so I would like to know how he did. Also, his little girlfriend is hot and strong as shit.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Before the first 'incident' I'd be making weapons and sweet love to the hippy chick.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
I watched like 15 minutes. I'm out. Because of shaky cam and obvious script.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
It's not fake. It's not even a reality show. Or game show. It's fiction. It's a scripted drama, about a fictional reality show.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
Did you watch the entire epi of American Ninja Warrior? My dvr cut out at the end and I was wondering if the final guy made it through? He made it further than anyone else last year so I would like to know how he did. Also, his little girlfriend is hot and strong as shit.
If it was that Bret Stevenson guy, he definitely made it. The show ended with someone succeeding.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
If it was that Bret Stevenson guy, he definitely made it. The show ended with someone succeeding.
Brett made it to the Venice finals. I really with G4 would run Sauske 28 already.

Sent from the USS Sulaco.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
I wish just once they would just drop the contestants in the artic or on a island that isn't full of script writers, producers and craft services. you know those motherfuckers are filming on the other side of some all inclusive resort.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I would love to see an arctic setting in a reality show. That would be hardcore.

Was this show advertised as being a "real" show? Or was it advertised as the sort of Blair Witch thing that it is?

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
I wonder how long they can continue with the pretense of it being real? After a while, there's no credible way the cameras would still be rolling.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I liked the second episode better than the first, but I'm still not sold on it.

It will continue to be something I download six days late and puzzle over.

*Puzzle over my stance on the show, not its legitimacy.

And by the one "rule" set by the "host," a person could win just by waving a gun or something around and backing every other contestant over the white line.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Looks like a set up for either a robot/time portal thing, or UFO's and aliens.

Totally fake.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
Yes, yes. It is a fake drama set up as a reality show.

And I'm leaning towards aliens or something. I forget the history of the backdrop, something about nuclear fallout and a mystery crater.

And just now I remember the geek kid finding the three legged frog in the first episode. That should have been the thing that made me realize it was fake. Maybe it will be Hills Have Eyes nuke mutant fuck fest.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
They fucked up by taking five episodes to reveal the producers were all missing and possibly dead. But now that they've finally got past that, I think the show may go for the full-on crazy now.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
I am disappoint at the potential lez out gone awry. I DEMAND PICS!

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
Season finale next week. I guess I'm the only sucker that kept watching.

It's ridiculous but I still kind of enjoy it as a wind down show on Monday nights.