Sirius, XM receivers may play both sides

jsc315

AnalCunt
Dec 8, 2004
Evergreen Park,IL
http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/08/sirius-xm-receivers-may-play-both-sides/

Amid the takeover rumors, merger talk, blackouts, and general struggle and strife for consumers just trying to listen to some decent radio, it appears that a glimmer of hope may be breaking through all the noise. In an outrageously detailed letter to the FCC, a gentleman named Michael Hartleib calls for the agency to more clearly define the differences between "Dual mode" and "Interoperable" radios, and outlines how (using the latter variety) existing XM or Sirius receivers might be able to access both networks simply by having their firmware updated. The technical missive also suggests that the companies may be deflecting attention away from this fact in an attempt to bring "updated" receivers to market which have the aforementioned capability, when all that is really needed is a simple software tweak. Naturally, we can understand why he'd want to go straight to the FCC -- it's not like Sirius or XM are expected to discuss this possibility, and we think it's safe to assume that if they merge they're going to gouge customers into buying a new radio, instead of updating the ones they currently own.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Allegedly XM and Sirius' current radios can get both signals with an update in the software and XM and Sirius don't want this known because they plan to sell new expensive radios that which this functionality comes included.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Considering they use two different codecs, I'll call bravo sierra on this "software" fix.

Well word was back when XM first started they were using PAC, and Sirius used PAC. Sirius later developed a refinement for it because of bandwidth issues, and XM switched to a variation of aacplus. XM receivers, many made today still have the compatibility built in by design. It's really not a complex science. No more than an iPod being capable of playing mp3's or m4a's. It's all in the processing.

Plus the frequencies used by both codecs' compression are still relatively similar. Current XM newer receivers would probably sound much better with the evolved version of Perceptual Audio.

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
Your Mom's box.
Allegedly XM and Sirius' current radios can get both signals with an update in the software and XM and Sirius don't want this known because they plan to sell new expensive radios that which this functionality comes included.
These words are more to my liking. Thank you.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
I don't want to upgrade the firmware on any of my radios, the FM modulators are great on them, and the new ones suck balls.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
If they merge, XM will suck. Assholes like Mel don't give a damn about good radio. They just want to drive up the stock and cash in their options.