Sitcoms vs. Reality TV

Which sucks more?

• Total voters

abudabit

New Wackbag
Which sucks more?

blee

Will Drink Today
I watch 2 reality shows(Kid Nation and Survivor) and 0 sitcoms. So Sitcoms suck for me.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
They both suck but at least sitcoms hire actors and writers. Reality TV disgusts me. (And yes, I know RTV have writers and actors too but they don't "admit" it.)

MJ001

Never seen a reality show except a couple of the season of Last Comic Standing.

I miss "celebrities" needing some sort of discernable talent to become famous.

I think they both suck for the most part but reality TV is fucking awful. I've never cared for it. I keep waiting for it to die off. I've been waiting for the past 8 years. For the love of god, when will it end?!?!?!:arrrh:

They both suck but at least sitcoms hire actors and writers. Reality TV disgusts me. (And yes, I know RTV have writers and actors too but they don't "admit" it.)

I think they both suck for the most part but reality TV is fucking awful. I've never cared for it. I keep waiting for it to die off. I've been waiting for the past 8 years. For the love of god, when will it end?!?!?!:arrrh:
Reality TV makes my stomach turn when i hear people talking about it. I've gotten into many a fights with friends when they start discussing it, because it makes my blood boil just knowing people i hang out with watch that crap (let alone talk about it).
i'm getting irritated just thinking about it.
i've been praying for it to end also. i'm out.

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Gotta agree with you that for the most part, they're both equally awful, but if I had to, I'd opt for the sitcom. "Reality TV" is fucking heinous )and no, "American Idol", "Survivor", etc. are just "contests"' Maybe something like "Cops" would qualify as reality TV. All that other tripe is just game shows)

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Reality TV is just the worst. At least sitcoms admit to being scripted. Reality shows are just ways for networks to spend less on production, and be less creative yet earn the same on commercials.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
Depends on which reality TV show you're talking about. Very few reality shows ARE actually real.

And what defines a sitcom? Isn't It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia technically a sitcom? It can't be considered a series because there's no continuing story.

And Lucky Louie was absolutely a sitcom.

Do you mean like a wacky show with canned laughter?

jagsfans

I watch a few reality shows and I find sitcoms unwatchable since Seinfeld. However, I may rethink my vote Weeds, Entourage, Curb and Its always Sunny are all very funny.

Cable has winning reality shows too. Cold Case Files, City Confidential and Top Chef are amoung my favs.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
And Lucky Louie was absolutely a sitcom.
Shit, I need to rethink my answer. :action-sm:action-sm

It doesn't matter if it's a canned laughter sitcom or something genuinely decent. I side with the bad actors and hacky writers, at least they attempt to do something. And I mean if you can get to the level of actually getting a job in entertainment writing for a show, more power to you. Reality TV is just overthetop cheap nonsense of people overacting in an attempt for fame.

thekidslepthere

I always support the sitcoms. The problem is there's not that many great ones on TV currently especially network TV. Of course there's "30 Rock" "The Office" "Entourage" "Weeds" and "Always Sunny in Philadelphia" but even though I love these, I don't think any of them are clearly in the classic category, they might wind up there, but it's too hard to say now.

But I can't shit on all reality TV, it's such a broad term, it's like saying "I hate all foreign films." Everyone can find some foreign films they'd love if they give them a chance.

I hate all the phoney reality shows like "The Coreys" or any celebreality bullshit. But shows like "Build it Bigger" or "Deadliest Catch" or "Feasting on Asphalt" are some of my favorite shows of the past couple years. Fucking Feasting on Asphalt it's like On The Road mixed with a cooking show, I find myself getting in the car and driving into the middle of the California desert or the mountains just to find small mom and pop places to get lunch.

seeinred

White Death
I used to be a big reality TV fan. I watched the first seasons of most of the shows, Survivor, Big Brother, Last Comic Standing. The one I really liked and hope they show again in the States is Making the Cut. Now though, reality TV sucks, while there are a few sitcoms worth watching.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
Alright, people. Here's how I see it, because you all are confusing me with your definitions of sitcoms.

Examples of what I see as SITCOMS:
- Friends
- Fraiser
- Taxi
- Cheers
- Lucky Louie
- Etcetera (that's not a show, I actually mean etc. :p)

Examples of what I define as SERIES:
- Entourage
- The Office (this is debatable)
- Weeds
- Dexter
- Etc.

Examples of what I define as REALITY TV
- Real World
- Survivorman
- Big Brother
- Etc.

As I said, some reality programs actually aren't real, but do you see my point here? Entourage is not a sitcom, people. It's a series.

Sitcoms do not focus an entire season towards a story. Each episode has its own individual story, with the occasional two-parter.

SERIES, however, are made up of a SERIES of episodes all going towards one conclusion

Let me put it this way. If you've ever had trouble understanding a show because you've never seen any previous episodes, you are watching a series. If you can pick up on a show immediately because there's no real character development outside one episode, that's a sitcom. If you're watching a security camera angled shot of a bunch of teenage whores getting mad at each other in a really dramatic fashion, that's a "reality" show.

Get it now?

thekidslepthere

Alright, people. Here's how I see it, because you all are confusing me with your definitions of sitcoms.

Examples of what I see as SITCOMS:
- Friends
- Fraiser
- Taxi
- Cheers
- Lucky Louie
- Etcetera (that's not a show, I actually mean etc. :p)

Examples of what I define as SERIES:
- Entourage
- The Office (this is debatable)
- Weeds
- Dexter
- Etc.

Examples of what I define as REALITY TV
- Real World
- Survivorman
- Big Brother
- Etc.

As I said, some reality programs actually aren't real, but do you see my point here? Entourage is not a sitcom, people. It's a series.

Sitcoms do not focus an entire season towards a story. Each episode has its own individual story, with the occasional two-parter.

SERIES, however, are made up of a SERIES of episodes all going towards one conclusion

Let me put it this way. If you've ever had trouble understanding a show because you've never seen any previous episodes, you are watching a series. If you can pick up on a show immediately because there's no real character development outside one episode, that's a sitcom. If you're watching a security camera angled shot of a bunch of teenage whores getting mad at each other in a really dramatic fashion, that's a "reality" show.

Get it now?
I think you're really narrowing it down, back to maybe the mid 1980's with your definition of sitcom.

A "sitcom" is a situation comedy, Entourage, the situation is it's about an actor and his comrades, and it's funny. Yeah you have to linger longer, but it's still a sitcom.

There's not a "sitcom" on TV that you don't get more out of by watching more episodes. TV's evolved, some shows are written simpler and make it easier to pick up, but you still get more out of every single show by watching more episodes.

Even in your examples, "Friends" and "Frasier" both of those shows involved characters having relationships, breaking up, getting married, having kids. Wouldn't those be a series?

I don't think there's a single show on TV now where the writers want to keep their characters in this void where it's so easy for every viewer to get every joke on a weekly basis.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Easy. While I have seen some good sitcoms I can't honestly say I have seen any good reality shows.

The entire premise is a lie from the start as they are in fact scripted, and in my opinion, done so badly.

The only one that I thought was half-decent was the Real World, but even that ended up becoming a parody of itself.

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Where is option #4: They both suck equally?

Top Bottom