Six dead in Seattle shooting spree

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Seattle gunman's brother: He was mentally ill

(CBS News) SEATTLE - Police say a single gunman shot and killed five people before taking his own life on Wednesday.
Members of the suspect's family tell a newspaper they're not surprised, as he suffered a mentally illness.
As Michelle Millman of CBS Seattle affiliate KIRO reports, many city residents are on edge, worried about their own safety in light of the tragedy.
The shooting spree began in a cafe late Wednesday morning.
A bearded man entered a popular cafe, the Cafe Racer. Minutes later, four people were fatally shot, another wounded, as the gunman stood alone amid overturned stools, holding what appeared to be a gun.
Police scoured north Seattle, going door-to-door, searching for the killer.
Evan Hill, who lives above the cafe, describes the venue as "very mellow."
"There's lots of artists there and musical performances and that kind of thing. It's the last place that you would expect for something like this to happen," says Hill.
The gunman headed downtown, fatally shooting a woman as he carjacked her black SUV. Police responded quickly.
"As patrol officers started coming in, the suspect saw that he was just about to be captured, and the suspect then raised a firearm to his head and then shot himself in the head," said Seattle Police Deputy Chief of Operations Nick Metz.
The gunman has been identified as 40-year-old Ian Lee Stawicki.
His brother, Andrew Stawicki, tells The Seattle Times that Ian was mentally ill. "We could see this coming," he said. "We're not surprised, when you have so much of that anger inside of you."
Considered one of the safest big cities, Wednesday's shootings raise the number of Seattle homicides this year to 21, surpassing the number for all of last year.
"I'm wondering what the heck's going on in this city. Everybody's getting gun happy in this town. It's just crazy," observed resident Steve Parker.
Cafe Racer patrons say Stawicki had been showing up at the bar for days, often picking fights.
"He was at the bar being really belligerent and rude," says one patron.
Two of the victims, Drew Keriakedes and Joe Albanese, died inside the cafe.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505266_162-57444306/seattle-gunmans-brother-he-was-mentally-ill/

And, of course:

Police leaders blame 'prevalence of guns' for recent Seattle violence

By Joel Moreno Published: May 29, 2012 at 5:08 PM PDT Last Updated: May 29, 2012 at 6:07 PM PDT

Map of 2012 Seattle shootings (*Red markers indicate fatal shootings)

SEATTLE -- The end of the holiday weekend didn't quell the city's recent rash of gun violence, as even more shots rang out in South Seattle on Tuesday morning.

The spike in violence that has plagued Seattle of late led some city leaders to openly question whether police are doing enough.

Police leaders went by the numbers at a special safety briefing before the Seattle City Council on Tuesday, recounting the toll of violence that left two men dead, another injured and a entire community rattled.

"Estimated over 60 rounds were fired," said Deputy Police Chief Nick Metz. "This weekend is a perfect example, unfortunately, of why we had stepped up our emphasis patrol operations."

In addition to Saturday's shooting at the Folklife festival, there were two murders and four gang-related drive-by shootings. Police told the council that extra patrols will remain in high-crime areas until further notice.

But Councilman Tom Rasmussen has doubts about the plan.

"What's going to change?" he said. "I mean, why do you think these strategies are going to work? We've heard about these strategies before, we've tried them before."

Commanders took the council's criticism in stride.

"It's not really criticizing, I don't think," said Assistant Police Chief Paul McDonagh. "I think he's just saying, 'Hey, we've been there, are we missing something else? So go ahead and look at something else. Try new options.'"

Sixteen people have been killed so far this year with only seven arrests made, not counting two cases that were cleared.

"The best answer I can come up with right now is the prevalence of guns," Metz said.

The murder of Justin Ferrari has prompted a public safety meeting at the Garfield Community Center on Wednesday. Meeting organizers say police are doing what they can to react to crime, but they believe prevention will come from community programs that give at-risk youth more options.

"I do think that we need more support for empowerment programs for young people. I think they need better choices. I think that those kinds of programs are underfunded, they're low priority," said Stephanie Tschida of the East Precinct Advisory Council.
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Police-leaders-blame--155518185.html

No, it has nothing to do with the shitty ass economy, assholes.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
It's bad when the family isn't surprised.

Also, if any of those six people (or anyone else in the vicinity) were carrying a firearm, perhaps the death count wouldn't have been as bad.

MetalBender

I like fistables.
Dec 20, 2009
New Orleans....Iowa
It's bad when the family isn't surprised.

Also, if any of those six people (or anyone else in the vicinity) were carrying a firearm, perhaps the death count wouldn't have been as bad.
Or maybe if his family had let authorities know they saw this coming before rather than after the fact.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Stories like this illustrate better than anything else why the citizen can't depend on police for protection. Cops aren't psychics. With the exception of patrols, they generally only go where they're called... after a crime has already happened or started. One citizen with a gun could've ended that shooting spree immediately, before anyone even got their phones out to call 911.

THRILLHO

Apr 5, 2009
Bothell, Wa.
My friend's office is near that coffee shop was and she was in lockdown for awhile. At least that asshole did the right thing and killed himself.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
My friend's office is near that coffee shop was and she was in lockdown for awhile. At least that asshole did the right thing and killed himself.
Doing the right thing would have been to only kill himself and leave everyone else alone.

Holy fuck! She could have been killed! IS SHE OK!??!?!1
I've been to Portland, Oregon a bunch of times, which is pretty close to Seattle. If he had lived in Portland instead, and done this a year ago, in a section of the city I was visiting, I could have been killed.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
A bearded man entered a popular cafe, the Cafe Racer. Minutes later, four people were fatally shot, another wounded, as the gunman stood alone amid overturned stools,
So it was a gay bar? "whaa"

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
One of the people he killed:

Latest update:

'He was on a mission to kill my friends'
By KOMO Staff Published: May 31, 2012 at 3:32 PM PDT Last Updated: May 31, 2012 at 10:51 PM PDT

Comments (51)
print
email

'He was on a mission to kill my friends' »Play Video
Photos »

Ian Stawicki
Ian Stawicki
Ian Stawicki
Ian Stawicki

Related Content

Listen: 911 calls from Wednesday's shootings
Family: Seattle gunman had a concealed weapon permit
Stunned community reacts to Wednesday's outburst of violence

SEATTLE - Amid the horror of a shooting that left four people dead in a University District cafe Wednesday comes a story of a man whose actions prevented the death toll from being even higher.

"There is a hero, a man who was sitting next to the suspect when the suspect started shooting," Jim Pugel, chief of detectives with Seattle police, said at a news conference Thursday recapping Wednesday's events.

Pugel said that man picked up a stool at threw it at the suspect, who was later identified as Ian L. Stawicki. The same man then picked up a second stool and hit the suspect with it.

In that time, three people were able to run from the Cafe Racer and escape the hail of bullets.

"He saved three lives," said Pugel.

The hero, who SPD will only identify as "Lawrence" to protect his privacy, later told his story to Seattle police.

Lawrence said he's been getting his morning coffee at the cafe for the last few years and was sitting in the cafe when Stawicki came in.

"Just before it happened, I was looking at [Stawicki]. He’d just been told he was 86’d [from the café] in a very polite manner," Lawrence said.

Lawrence told police he looked down at his phone for a moment, and then, "I hear the pop, pop, and people scrambling. I couldn’t make sense of it. I didn’t expect the gun to be that quiet. I thought 'this is really happening.' "

As Stawicki opened fire, Lawrence grabbed a bar stool and used it to try to fight off Stawicki and defend his friends, police said.

"I just threw the frigging stool at him, legs first," he told investigators. "My brother died in the World Trade Center. I promised myself, 'if something like this ever happened, I would never hide under a table.' "

Lawrence said the gunman, "looked at me like he didn’t [care] at all. He just moved towards the rear of the bar instead of dealing with me at all, and I just brushed past him. He was on a mission to kill my friends."

He says he's not a hero, instead lauding the cafe employee -- wounded in the shooting -- for calling 911 and being able to give police crucial information about the shooting.

"He’s the hero," Lawrence told SPD.

Lawrence said he doesn't want to be identified right now, as he's trying to recover from Wednesday's tragic events.

"Yesterday, I was all adrenaline," he said. "Today, my friends are dead. I’m just grieving right now."

Carjacking victim fought her attacker

Drew Keriakedes and Joseph Vito Albanese were members of the band God's Favorite Beefcake. Both men were inside Café Racer Wednesday morning, and both were killed.

Albanese's wife, Kelly, is still in shock over the murder.

"It's like a kick in the gut," she said. "I just can't, I believe, I can't believe he's dead."

Two others, Kimberly Layfield and Don Largen, died later at Harborview. Layfield was an aspiring actress and dental assistant and Largen was an urban planner. Both were regulars at the cafe.

"My heart goes out to everybody that was involved in all the shootings, and I hold no animosity," said Largen's mother, Betty Parker.

The only survivor of the cafe shooting, Leonard Meuse, was upgraded from critical to serious condition at Harborview Medical Center. He remained in the intensive care unit Thursday, said spokeswoman Susan Gregg.

About a half-hour after the cafe shootings, Stawicki shot Gloria Leonidas, 52, of Bellevue near Town Hall because he wanted to steal her Mercedes SUV, police say.

But she did not go down without a fight, said Pugel.

He said Leonidas was able to knock the shooter's gun from his hand during the confrontation. But he managed to pick it up and shoot her, then took off in her vehicle.

Pugel said the suspect later contacted an old acquaintance of his in West Seattle who was not aware of the shootings. The old acquaintance later told Seattle police that the suspect was acting erratically and talking nonsense, so he broke off contact with him.

Later, when the acquaintance learned about the shootings and saw the surveillance photos of the suspect from Cafe Racer, he called police and told them what had happened.

About 35 minutes later, the suspect was spotted by a plainclothes officer who called in other officers.

As the additional officers moved in and challenged Stawicki, he put the gun to his head and killed himself, Pugel said.
"I just threw the frigging stool at him, legs first," he told investigators. "My brother died in the World Trade Center. I promised myself, 'if something like this ever happened, I would never hide under a table.' "
Would have been nice if he HAD A FUCKING GUN!!!!

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...g-so-horrific-callous-and-cold-156025595.html

The asshole:

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
I guess God was hungry and wanted some of his fave beefcake.

I don't have the stats with me but i would put cafes toward the top of list of shooting locations along with churches, Qwik-e marts, liqour stores, gun stores, and work places.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
I guess God was hungry and wanted some of his fave beefcake.

I don't have the stats with me but i would put cafes toward the top of list of shooting locations along with churches, Qwik-e marts, liqour stores, gun stores, and work places.
At every gun store I have ever been to, EVERY person working there (and often half the patrons) were packing - many times with multiple handguns on them, and rifles or shotguns concealed in easy reach behind the counter. Trying to rob a gun store during operating hours is generally suicidal.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Gun stores get robbed with a stolen tow truck crashing into when its closed.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
At every gun store I have ever been to, EVERY person working there (and often half the patrons) were packing - many times with multiple handguns on them, and rifles or shotguns concealed in easy reach behind the counter. Trying to rob a gun store during operating hours is generally suicidal.
Yeah, sounded like something stupid i would do just for the rush of trying to pull it off. I tried stealing expensive collectible superman cards right in front of the owner and cop just for that reason, but the pedo owner caught me trying to stash them.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19900204&slug=1054316

[yt]xIpLd0WQKCY[/yt]

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Yeah, if I were that type of person I'd probably try robbing a bank before a gun store (if done while they were open). Like you said, it's probably one of the places where even the largest concentration of patrons are carrying, let alone the employees/owners. They're also very competent with those firearms.

One gun store here had ~30 firearms stolen after hours about six years ago... luckily the morons tried to sell them all at once about four miles from the store, and the cops busted them in a sting.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I'd rob a diner.

[YT]vsVCHE7ayPE[/YT]

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
I"m too lazy to look up the CCW laws in that stupid state, but there might be less dead folks if some armed citizen was able to hinder this asshole's spree.

That being said, what the fuck is wrong with people? I mean blacks killing blacks is expected, but this moron is give white guys with beards a bad name. Fuck him.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Everyone always talks about banning guns, but what about the real culprit? Fingers, stabbings and knife crimes are a much bigger problem in the UK than gun crimes in the US so if you ban guns in the US and take all guns off the street, you will start to see people using knives and other objects. I say we need to get rid of these fingers, they cause too many problems.