Sleep Paralysis.. anyone?

May 8, 2009
Bawferston
So I've had this happen to me plenty of times before, but last night was different. Usually, I'm dreaming that someone or something is coming to kill me and I can't move. Last night was the first time that I was AWAKE and I couldn't move or talk at all. I already had my hand on my fiance's chest so I was trying to scratch his chest with the one finger that would move to wake him up. Trying to yell his name was pointless because I couldn't talk. It was so fucking scary that when I snapped out of it I started bawling uncontrollably and ended waking him up. It's one thing to dream this shit as I'm usually good at knowing when I'm dreaming, but it's a whole nother thing when I'm wide awake, can see/hear everything around me, but I can't move.
Anyone else ever suffer from sleep paralysis? More importantly, have you ever been awake during it?

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Ive had that happen a few times, but I am also a very lucid dreamer so it might just be the dream. Its a pretty fucked up trip.

May 8, 2009
Bawferston
Ive had that happen a few times, but I am also a very lucid dreamer so it might just be the dream. Its a pretty fucked up trip.
This is the first time it's scared me enough to where I wake up crying. Only one other dream in my life has made me wake up crying uncontrollably like that, and that was one where I dreamt that my son was hit by a car while riding his bike to school and died.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
I had this often when I was a kid, but thankfully, not much anymore. I would have frequent nightmares of someone standing in the doorway of my room coming after me. They wouldn't technically "move" towards me...the figure just remained in the doorway, but it was definitely menacing. I can't move, but thankfully I could scream, and my screams would wake up my parents. My eyes are definitely open during this...I'm laying paralyzed in my bed looking at the door. Can't close my eyes, can't look away, nothin. My parents would come wake me up and I can see them pass thru this figure and move towards my bed. Once they physically wake me up...the figure is gone.

It's ridiculously frightening. High fevers, for me, was a trigger. There's nothing I did to stop having them, I think I just grew out of them. Nowadays, I've had this feeling like I'm dying...which gives me the paralyzed feeling and panic, but it's certainly nothing like what I used to get. I think if there's a way to really practice becoming a lucid dreamer, you actually might be able to break out of the experience and wake yourself up. If I'm having a bad dream where I'm being hunted down or something, I can usually wake myself up or change the dream. I'm not sure if that sort of thing would work for sleep paralysis.

May 8, 2009
Bawferston
I had this often when I was a kid, but thankfully, not much anymore. I would have frequent nightmares of someone standing in the doorway of my room coming after me. They wouldn't technically "move" towards me...the figure just remained in the doorway, but it was definitely menacing. I can't move, but thankfully I could scream, and my screams would wake up my parents. My eyes are definitely open during this...I'm laying paralyzed in my bed looking at the door. Can't close my eyes, can't look away, nothin. My parents would come wake me up and I can see them pass thru this figure and move towards my bed. Once they physically wake me up...the figure is gone.

It's ridiculously frightening. High fevers, for me, was a trigger. There's nothing I did to stop having them, I think I just grew out of them. Nowadays, I've had this feeling like I'm dying...which gives me the paralyzed feeling and panic, but it's certainly nothing like what I used to get. I think if there's a way to really practice becoming a lucid dreamer, you actually might be able to break out of the experience and wake yourself up. If I'm having a bad dream where I'm being hunted down or something, I can usually wake myself up or change the dream. I'm not sure if that sort of thing would work for sleep paralysis.
I actually can, for the most part, control my dreams. Like I know I'm dreaming and take full advantage of it.
But holy shit that first part of your post is fucking frightening! How the hell did you ever manage to fall asleep as a kid??

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
Apr 14, 2004
Just outside NYC
I've had this a few times. No real scary scenarios though. As far as I know it's like a dead zone between levels of consciousness.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I can control my dreams also, and I actually enjoy it. I've also had the sleep paralysis happen, and it is pretty scary. I'm 28 and it happens probably once or twice a year, maybe more.

Tony Bagels

Feb 15, 2006
I've had it happen twice. scary and surreal. I have the lucid dreams where someone was in the house, and I can't move my arms or legs, but these two times I was awake. I could only move my eyeballs and started to panic thinking I had a stroke (Living alone didn't make it any easier). It's been 5 years since I've had it, the really deep dreams where I think I've heard someone open my front door and is walking around my house happens at least once a month.

LiLJimmysHog

Professional negative prick
Dec 18, 2005
I have had it happen a couple times. My eyes were open and I could see my wife getting ready for work. I couldnt move or talk and my breathing was really shallow. My first though was "Am I dying?" Then I thought about Metallica's "One".

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I love that feeling. It's scary but I really enjoy it. I wish I knew how I could get to it more often.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Master Paux said:
I actually can, for the most part, control my dreams. Like I know I'm dreaming and take full advantage of it.
But holy shit that first part of your post is fucking frightening! How the hell did you ever manage to fall asleep as a kid??
Well, I would usually sleep in my parents bed for the rest of the night. I probably had that same dream maybe...8 times between the ages of maybe 4 and 8. I wasn't abused or anything when I was a kid, but my parents were in the process of getting a divorce and there were alot of loud arguments. Maybe that triggered something, I dunno. In my adult life, I've constantly had dreams about tornadoes...like a couple times per month. I had never been in a tornado, until last April when an EF4 tornado passed about 100 yards from my house. About 3 nights prior, I had one of my tornado dreams, and now, since the actual tornado, I haven't had one since. Weird.

Sadly I've only been able to take total control of my dreams about twice. And I'm talking where I know I'm asleep and I literally put myself in any situation I want. Pretty cool, but it doesn't seem last long. But I've gotten good at "changing" bad dreams. It's almost like hitting a "Next Track" button on a DVD player. I just skip that part.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i just cant sleep anymore with out taking something, i wake up at 4 am almost ever day for no apparent reason, its really starting to bother me. im convinced that its killing me

Mags

LDAR king
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
You've all been abducted by aliens. This has never happens to me so it's not normal. Seek help

i just cant sleep anymore with out taking something, i wake up at 4 am almost ever day for no apparent reason, its really starting to bother me. im convinced that its killing me
What kinda meds you taking to sleep?

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I've had this happen quite a few times... Not really a big deal to me. Sure, it's freaky while it's happening, but then I wake up, shrug, and go back to sleep.

When I was a kid I had some really scary ones, so I guess I'm just used to it.

George Costanza

All Hail the Dragonslayer.
Aug 10, 2007
Lake Orion Michigan
Hopefully it's just stress due to a few big changes in your life. I think alot of stuff stresses us out way more in the background where we're not aware of it. I have been having a lot of sleep issues lately as well and it really affects you.

Sleep paralysis rules if you go with it. It's how you have lucid dreams.

bill333

Go Screw!
Mar 23, 2005
Orange County,NY - Hudson Valley
Had it happen once as a kid. I saw a black cloaked figure at the foot of my bed, kind of lurching forward with the arms spread out like wings. I was frozen, couldn't scream or move, just sweating for like 5 minutes. I had an aluminum baseball bat next to my bed and finally had the nerve to grab the bat and swing at it. I jumped to my brothers bed, ran out to the stairwell and made it up 13 stairs in a couple leaps. I never felt the floor or the stairs. What made it even better was I told this to a friend years later, who in turn told another friend who was into black magic or whatnot. He said it was the devils minion testing me. Silly people.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Had it happen once as a kid. I saw a black cloaked figure at the foot of my bed, kind of lurching forward with the arms spread out like wings. I was frozen, couldn't scream or move, just sweating for like 5 minutes. I had an aluminum baseball bat next to my bed and finally had the nerve to grab the bat and swing at it. I jumped to my brothers bed, ran out to the stairwell and made it up 13 stairs in a couple leaps. I never felt the floor or the stairs. What made it even better was I told this to a friend years later, who in turn told another friend who was into black magic or whatnot. He said it was the devils minion testing me. Silly people.
That doesn't sound quite like what we're talking about.

It's one thing to be irrationally paralyzed by fear, but when you're truly sleep paralyzed, you CAN'T move. Seriously. You literally can't move your muscles no matter how hard you try.

I had it once where my sheet was wrapped around my neck and I seriously thought I was going to die by being choked out by my bedding. The worst part was when I finally shook it off and woke up, I was truly tangled and choking. Freaky.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
No Paralysis, But I used to be a sleep walker. I used to do all sorts of weird shit while sleep walking. I once went downstairs showered and got dressed. My mom found me sleeping on the couch before she went to work.

Stig

Wackbag's New Favorite Heel
Jul 26, 2005
NH
I've never had this happen. Jesus, that sounds scary as shit.

Philly loser

Wackbag Elder Statesman
Oct 12, 2002
Limerick, Pa
I have sleep apnea
I use a CPAP every night
sometimes when I travel, I don't take it
or at least didn't used to always take it
now I do
I had a couple of occasions when I would wake up and can't move
I would focus really hard on just trying to move my arm
it usually takes a few minutes to get it to work
and then I'm done sleeping for the night because it scares the shit out of me
I really have to focus, like, "just lift your arm... lift it up" and it just doesn't happen
weird

I don't know if it's related to the sleep apnea and a lack of oxygen but that's what I blame it on

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
It just makes you realize how completely fucked up it would be if you were paralyzed from the neck down or something along those lines. I don't think I've ever felt as helpless as I have during one of those. I've noticed that for the most recent ones I try to start small, by just moving my fingers, feet, and jaw... but that doesn't even seem to work too well.

Jan 6, 2006
What kinda meds you taking to sleep?
I got the same problem as him - I take Melatonin to help me fall asleep, I seem to get way better, deeper rest when I do as well.

I've been waking up at 4AM since September of last year. I can't ever go back to sleep no matter how hard I try - I'll usually end up passing out later on in the day for an hour or two if I stay up too late.