LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
y
Slurs uttered in stands upset gay Ranger fans

BY ARTHUR STAPLE

arthur.staple@newsday.com

9:22 PM EDT, March 21, 2008

New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn is hopeful that she and a group of gay Rangers fans will be able to meet with the team within the next few weeks to discuss ways to prevent anti-gay epithets from being used in Madison Square Garden during games.

A New York Times story published Friday detailed the displeasure of a small but loyal group of fans who have become disgusted with the increase in the use of anti-gay language toward players as well as a chant directed at a fan, Larry Goodman, who calls himself "Dancin' Larry" and dances during play stoppages on occasion.

Quinn said she had not heard from any Garden or Rangers officials Friday following publication of the story but hoped to push forward a meeting in the near future. "I think it's good that they've taken steps, but the problem is such that the Garden and the Rangers need to do more," Quinn said.

The two fans leading the charge -- Kevin Jennings, a Rangers fan since 1993 who also heads the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network, and Jeff Kagan, executive director of the New York City Gay Hockey Association, which has over 150 players in leagues at Chelsea Piers' Sky Rink -- first contacted the Rangers in November. They were joined by Quinn, who sent her own letter in January. Shortly after Quinn sent her letter, the team posted a warning on its scoreboard before games that offensive language and behavior would result in ejection.

Jennings, who said he's been to roughly 20 Rangers games this season, doesn't feel the team has done enough.

"The only thing that gets paid less attention than that warning is the safety demonstration before a flight," he said.

Kagan and his hockey league attended a game as a group in December 2005, and when the group's name was posted on the scoreboard, fans booed.

"I didn't do anything about it because I didn't think anything could be done," he said.

Jennings, who is a NYCGHA player, decided to do something after he confronted a fan who was yelling an anti-gay slur at a Flyers player during a game last season. "I told him, 'I'm gay, and what you're saying really offends me,'" Jennings said. "I turned around and didn't hear what he said next, though the people I was with did: 'Well, that's your problem.'"

Quinn thinks there can be more positive steps with a meeting. "Sports crowds are tough," she said, "but these sports crowds are made up of New Yorkers, and they're a diverse group. If the language in an announcement is explicit and clear, I think people know what they can't do."

A Rangers spokesman, saying the use of anti-gay slurs was an arena issue, not a player issue. referred questions to Madison Square Garden spokesman Barry Watkins.

"Homophobic or racially or culturally insensitive behavior is unacceptable at any event at Madison Square Garden, and we have taken aggressive steps to deal with the offensive behavior of a very small minority of game attendees," Watkins said.
Faggots need to grow the fuck up and stop being so thin-skinned

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Because the team will be able to stop 5,000 people from teasing Larry. :icon_roll

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Feb 10, 2006
Oceanside, NY
I chant Ho-mo Larry at every game, and call the team faggots when they're not playing well...

WHAT OF IT. Fuck off fuckin pricks, I'm not talking about you, so fuckin chill out.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
one step away

But, this kind of behavior and preaching is one step away from a hate crime.

Its one step away from some group attacking a gay man or woman simply because of their sexual preference.

Bahavior like this breeds hate and intolerance for people rights to go down on hogs and put anything they want in their butts.

A step to quell this now might prevent violent bevahior in the future.

UUUUGH!! They should change the chants....

POTVIN SUCKS<TWINKS GO HOME
LETS GO RANGERS<SHUT UP FAGGOTS

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
More from the "It's my right as a citizen to not have my feelings hurt" file.

Burn your Rangers' jersey, get tickets to Brian Boitano's Ice Capades, and go fuck your moth...I mean, father!

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
On the contrary though...

How could you not stick it in this guy?! :icon_mrgr

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I got nuthin, but I was thinking about Dice on Ice.

Nortonsmeatytit

"That ball is outta here"
Sep 11, 2005
Philly
Just give out bobble headed dildos monuted on frozen pucks for all offended, call it "Anal Promotion Night" invite the whole village.

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
The answer the guy gave was spot-on. "Well, that's your problem".

Yes, if you're offended by something that somebody else says, it's basically YOUR problem.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R

Yes, if you're offended by something that somebody else says, it's basically YOUR problem.

Too bad LIbErals never see it that way. They think of it as our problem.

Walk it off deeks.

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004

Good point. If anyone gives me shit for saying "that's your problem"... I'll give them that second response, too.

I'm friends with Larry and was just talking to him today about this. He said the paper's getting it all out of proportion. He doesn't mind the chant. He thinks its cheesy, but he could give a fuck about what people say, because guess what -- it's a fuckin hockey game!

Check out the pussy fags in this thread talking about it.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=494637

One guy said it was like saying "******."
I'll repost my response there:

When we were kids in little league, and a kid came up to bad and was scared of the ball, he was called "pussy" or "homo." He wasn't called a "ni***er."

It's called CONTEXT. You know, that thing that's always ignored by manufactured victims? The word isn't used as a SLUR here. Yeah, it's a bad word, but they're not calling him "You-are-a-person-who-has-sexual-relations-with-another-male Larry." They're calling him "You're-doing-a-goofy-looking-dance Larry." It's all about context. The word here is NOT used as a comment on anyone's sexuality.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Good point. If anyone gives me shit for saying "that's your problem"... I'll give them that second response, too.

I'm friends with Larry and was just talking to him today about this. He said the paper's getting it all out of proportion. He doesn't mind the chant. He thinks its cheesy, but he could give a fuck about what people say, because guess what -- it's a fuckin hockey game!

Check out the pussy fags in this thread talking about it.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=494637

One guy said it was like saying "******."
I'll repost my response there:

When we were kids in little league, and a kid came up to bad and was scared of the ball, he was called "pussy" or "homo." He wasn't called a "ni***er."

It's called CONTEXT. You know, that thing that's always ignored by manufactured victims? The word isn't used as a SLUR here. Yeah, it's a bad word, but they're not calling him "You-are-a-person-who-has-sexual-relations-with-another-male Larry." They're calling him "You're-doing-a-goofy-looking-dance Larry." It's all about context. The word here is NOT used as a comment on anyone's sexuality.
And you got banned, right? :action-sm

If these faggot Ranger fans can't handle that, I would loooove to take them to a Wolverines hockey game at Yost.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly

"Or if I want to call the Whalers a bunch of faggots"

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Rangers management will do a cost-benefit analysis. Will we lose more business ostracizing gays or ostracizing people who like to scream faggot? Free speech will win!

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
Back when the Danbury Trashers still existed, if you sat anywhere near section 102, you would get bombarded by the words faggot, n***er, fuck, pussy, cunt, canadian, among other words. Hearing the word "homo" would have been an off night.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
yet these are the same people that will screem about the "morality" police in saudi arabia

DJ Evel Ed

MayYourCumCrustedCocksBeConstantlyCoveredInCunt
Nov 30, 2003
Up your ass!
Gay Rangers fans... Imagine that. :haha7:
The problem is that more & more Rangers fans are coming out of the closet. There is more open affection in the Garden like open tongue kissing after a goal and ass-grabbing after a save. I've seen it myself and it's quite disgusting seeing 2 fat bald party-bottoms in Messier jerseys going at it on the Mezzanine. They should do that shit up in the nose-bleeds! They could probably finger-bang each other up there too.