OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

So, everybody kinda forgot about the Gitmo closing then, huh?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Neckbeard, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Neckbeard

Neckbeard I'm Team Piggy!

Here is Obama, on November 16, 2008 reiterating strongly his promise to close Guantanamo Bay and that it will be one of his highest priorities and earliest executive orders to close the detention facilities.

[video=youtube;UQXZoM__vU0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQXZoM__vU0[/video]

Here are some quotes from this clip of that interview...

One of the first executive orders signed by President Obama is Executive Order 13492 entitled REVIEW AND DISPOSITION OF INDIVIDUALS DETAINED AT THE GUANTÁNAMO BAY NAVAL BASE AND CLOSURE OF DETENTION FACILITIES. It was signed January 22, 2009 and stated that Guantanamo Bay detention facilities would be closed in one year, that is on or before January 22, 2010.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/ClosureOfGuantanamoDetentionFacilities/

Here is the specific wording stating the timeline for the closure of detention facilities...

Here are the pompous pronouncements and triumphant sermonizing during the signing of Executive Order 13492.

[video=youtube;32ePb4X6JNQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32ePb4X6JNQ[/video]

So, what happened? It is summer 2012 and not only is Guantanamo Bay still serving as a detention facility it reportedly costs more than 100 million dollars a year to operate.

Why does almost nobody talk about this blatant lie and the political incompetence and cowardice that has led to Guantanamo Bay still operating as a detention facility?

2. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

The people who admit that he's a liar already talked about this years ago. The people who refuse to admit he's lying will continue to do so until the day he gets kicked out the door. His sycophants are dishonest and delusional.

3. Bluestreak

Bluestreak This space intentionally left blank.

Write a letter to your State Reps and Senators.

4. MetalBender

MetalBender I like fistables.

I hear they are building a new soccer field instead of closing it.

5. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

I'm not sure he was lying. I think he was a naive idiot making campaign promises that had no anchor in the real world. He made them irresponsibly, and then when he understood how stupid and his idea really was, he didn't have the decency to come out and say so.

6. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

well, if you close it, you have to bring the detainees somewhere... remember the uproar that caused from the states where the federal facilities that would receive the detainees reside? Then you have the problem of which court to try them in. If you take them to federal court there are those that will scream that all it does is "put america on trail" by allowing the detainees a public voice, and it also raises constitutional questions as to their right to a speedy trail. Or if you put them into a military tribunal that causes its own legal and political problems. Then what to do if you have to release some of them because of time served if found guilty or if they just arent found guilty. You release them into the wild and they go right back and end up killing americans or helping those that do... that doesnt look good. Then you consider the intent of them being detained so long in the first place, combatants are held until the end of hostilities. Kinda hard to tell when that is exactly.

GREAT idea to close Gitmo. Turns out the reality is that the whole situation is a shit sandwich left over from someone elses meal.

also consider that there is legislation restricting detainee transfers...
    http://www.harvardlawreview.org/issues/125/may12/Recent_Legislation_9348.php

7. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo

Obama obviously took 'campaign promises/pledges that he had no intention of following through on' to whole new level. I mean, it was almost some mystical fantasy that this guy was preaching. And alot of dopes bought it.

In reality, he has been arguably one of the worst Presidents in US history...and judging by alot of the news I've heard today, his party is now disorganized, his base is disenfranchised, and his support is dwindling. My, how things have changed since January 2009.

8. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

yeah he made the promise and you can read his mind that he had no intention of following through. Classic BS.

he did make the promise, that much we know. The reasons why it hasnt happened are complicated... but to say that its because he never intended to REALLY do it in the first place? Golfer Please.

9. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

Everybody goes into the job with great ideas and aspirations.

Then reality sets in and the world looks a tad different.

Happens all the time and no, I don't like him and didn't vote for him.

This shit happens every election.

10. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

You're being much too kind. He's either a liar or he wanted us to be less safe to appease his minions.

And just like clockwork, the minions blame Bush. It never ends.

11. Begbie

Gotcha, so when he said this back in 2008...

I'm sure he was put in a REALLY complicated predicament each time a lobbyist was appointed to his adminstration. He probably really struggled over each of the FIFTY lobbyists that were appointed to policy-making jobs in his first two years. Ooo...I'm sure he struggled over each and every one of those appointments. He was probably so shy and somewhat embarrassed over it...which probably explains why a few of these lobbyists were automatically appointed via recess appointments.

And I'm sure that after he lines his pockets with lobbyist's money, he turns around, sighs, and says, "I don't want to talk about it...it's complicated."

And I'm also sure that when countless lobbyists visit the White House and meet with administration officials every fuckin day...Obama barges in and says, "Hey you lobbyist!!!!! Let me uhhhhhh, be uhhhhhh clear...there's no place for you here in uhhhhhhhhhhh this White House." Perhaps they give him the puppy dog eyes...and Obama says, "Bah, alright you can stay" then turns around and says, "It's complicated."

Good to see you're still going to bat for one of the worst Presidents in history...yet proclaiming that you didn't vote for the guy and don't really much like him. I still buy it...you're just a "middle of the road" kinda guy. :icon_cool

12. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

13. KRSOne

KRSOne Registered User

Why? Because Obama is a good loving liberal. Obama appointed nothing but wall street lobbyists to his cabinet 3 days in, after a year long campaign of saying he wouldn't do that and libs and the media didn't call him out on it. Libya wasn't a war it was a kinetic action, Gitmo is open but Obama tried to close it and the evil republicans stopped him, Americans can now be sent to Gitmo without trial thanks to the NDAA but don't worry Obama said as long as you vote for him, he won't do that.

This is the one and only reason Mitt would make a better president because the media and crazy protesting libs wouldn't let Mitt get away with it.

14. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

When you make a good point, I like to commend you for it. This is an EXCELLENT point.

15. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

You learn something new everyday.....

Today I learned Neckbeard voted for Obama because he promised to close Gitmo!

16. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

talk all the off topic crap you want... the simple fact of the matter is you cant read his mind and you dont know if he had no intention of closing Gitmo when he promised to do it.

and no I didnt vote for him... but that doesnt change the fact that you cant read his mind.

17. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

[​IMG]

18. South Jersey

South Jersey I told you so ... too

Still amazed at the people who couldn't see thru this asshole in 2008!!!

19. Begbie

Off-topic? My point was that this guy made promises in 2008 he knew he wasn't going to keep. I then provided an example of a 2008 promise he knew he wasn't going to keep, Obama-Lover. :icon_cool

20. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

And one shining example of someone who still can't. Fucking retards. The lot of them.

21. JoeyDVDZ

JoeyDVDZ That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!

I'm man enough to admit when you say something that's right on. THis is one of those times. Kudos, and I still hate you for just about everything else. But you're not wrong here. :)

22. MayrMeninoCrash

Yeah I remember a few years ago when Bush rescinded the Patriot Act and closed Gitmo because the Liberal Media was all up in his shit about it.........I'm sure Mitt's quaking in his italian loafers.

23. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Are you seriously implying that the constant anti-Bush media tsunami had zero effect on policy-making during his 2 terms? Really?

24. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

He's also implying that the media hasn't done their watchdog role to hold Barry in check.

25. MayrMeninoCrash

I'm saying that Kirk's theory that the media will have one iota of effect on Romney is horseshit as shown by the uproar against Bush policies like the Patriot Act and Torture that didn't result in a single thing changing.

Show me where Bush pulled a major 180 in policy as a result of the media bashing that he was subject to for 8 years.