So I try to install a video card....

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I decided to put a GeForce 6200 AGP card in my old PC, and of course Windows boots up just fine until the part where it recognizes the new card, opens the Install New Hardware Wizard, and then promptly locks up. Every single time.

I've gone into the bios and messed with every single setting trying to get the thing to stop locking up.

I literally happens in the same place every time. I am almost positive it's a driver thing, but how can I install the drive without the card in the computer? If I try to install the Nvidia software it refuses to because there is no hardware supported by the software. And if I install the software, the system locks up every single time in the same place.

As we speak I'm actually reinstalling Windows. That's how far this has sunk.

So once again, I'm surprised I stuck with this shitfest of an OS for so many years, just thinking that problems installing software were the norm.

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
The Edge of the Water, Norf Jersey
Suggestion - what if you put the old video card in, boot up the machine, put the NEW video card drivers in a folder off the c: drive which you can access via a dos boot, and install the driver from the boot? Can the OS support the video card?

Or, conversely, is it possible that the video card is bad? I don't think it is, but anything is possible.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Suggestion - what if you put the old video card in, boot up the machine, put the NEW video card drivers in a folder off the c: drive which you can access via a dos boot, and install the driver from the boot? Can the OS support the video card?

Or, conversely, is it possible that the video card is bad? I don't think it is, but anything is possible.
I would hope that XP Pro could support a 3 year old card. But I haven't had a lockup while reinstalling windows so far. I am starting to think that it may have been some sort of conflict with my OLD drivers that locked it up. I could be wrong, and if I am I guess I'll use my Mac to burn the drivers to a disc and just install them manually.

Or just throw the entire pile of shit out my window.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Where did you get the drivers from? Did you download them or get them from a cd?

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Where did you get the drivers from? Did you download them or get them from a cd?
Got them from Nvidia's website.

Update: Reinstalled Windows and now it locks up before I even get to the desktop.

Also am getting 640x480 resolution and a lot of stray pixels. And yes, the card is seated just fine in the slot. The screen looks fine until the user select or desktop comes up, then I get the funky pixels following the pointer.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Was the card in there previously an AGP card? Also, what was the card and how many watts is your power supply?

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
The last card wasn't AGP, but I have used AGP cards in it before with no problems. I think the power supply is 250 watts.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
250 watts may be the problem. The card may be a little to beefy for a 250 PS. Perhaps you should try installing it in Safe Mode next.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I'm pretty sure it's the PS. I disconnected CD Roms and the 2nd hdd and got a little further in the boot process each time I disconnected something. I'm just going to put a smaller card in it. Considering the whole PC was built from salavged parts it does run pretty well, I was just hoping that I could at least have a decent video card. I guess I'll take what I can get.....

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
What did you have in there before that a 6200 is an upgrade?
A Radeon 7000. I only use a PC for one game and it's an older game. No need to have state of the art equipment, but a 32mb video cart just wouldn't cut it. So I'll either find a bigger PS or a smaller 128mb card....whichever is least expensive. As of now my total investment in the whole system is $40.

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
Feb 21, 2007
TRueWDT
I wouldn't start with the power supply. As others have stated, have you booted into safe mode and installed the drivers that way? I had a similar problem a couple years ago, and it turn out to be a flaky card. I returned it for a new one and had no problems. As much as it sucks talking to foreign tech support (go ahead ask me about my weekend on the phone), but have you tried calling them?

If you determine its the PS, I think I have a 400 watt ATX power supply around here somewhere. Your in Pa, Im in Pa. Couldnt cost much to ship. I have no need for it, pay for shipping and its yours (if i can find it). If your interested, let me know.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I wouldn't start with the power supply. As others have stated, have you booted into safe mode and installed the drivers that way? I had a similar problem a couple years ago, and it turn out to be a flaky card. I returned it for a new one and had no problems. As much as it sucks talking to foreign tech support (go ahead ask me about my weekend on the phone), but have you tried calling them?

If you determine its the PS, I think I have a 400 watt ATX power supply around here somewhere. Your in Pa, Im in Pa. Couldnt cost much to ship. I have no need for it, pay for shipping and its yours (if i can find it). If your interested, let me know.
Thanks for the offer, but it was locking up in safe mode too. I'm positive it was the PS, since I would disconnect a drive and it would boot a tiny bit further each time. I just shitcanned that PC and got one with a bigger PS and better video card already installed. I got a good deal on it so I'm happy.

Oct 5, 2004
jersey
Haha there's no need to shitcan the entire PC. it just sounds like driver conflicting issues. but at the worst a new PSU would have cost like $30-50.

Locking up in safe mode is pretty odd, but I wouldn't blame the PSU just yet, as the GF6* series cards do not demand huge power. Does it have it's own standard power dongle, like the hard drives use? is that plugged in to the video card, and is it the only device on the cord?

If so I would try just running Driver Cleaner to make sure any old drivers are fully removed prior to installing new ones, this rules out software issues before trying to diagnose hardware ones..

install Driver Cleaner from here:
turn off computer, take out new video card, boot into safe mode (if you don't have onboard video, you can just leave it in, but be sure to cancel any attempts that window makes of trying to search for/install drivers)
run Driver Cleaner and select Nvidia from the list, once cleaned, turn off computer
put new video card in, start up, install the latest drivers from nvidia website

you can also run this along with ccleaner and run a registry cleaning if you have an old windows install and want to make sure all the old shit is gone.

It's hilarious when dummies try and upgrade their computers by themselves, fail, and just buy a new PC, probably generic which will just cause more problems in the future. :action-sm