So I was just told my job in in the middle of a ransomware attack...

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Oh boy... Took the Thanksgiving week from Wednesday off, including today... Got a call at 7:30 this morning that my entire job, all major servers, is encrypted by ransomware.

Tomorrow's gonna be a hoot.

Mags

A.K.A. Chad
Donator
Oh boy... Took the Thanksgiving week from Wednesday off, including today... Got a call at 7:30 this morning that my entire job, all major servers, is encrypted by ransomware.

Tomorrow's gonna be a hoot.
Tell them to pay.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Donator
This happened at my old job. Asshole father in law of the asshole owner instead of working would play puzzle games online where you could chat with people. Just something old lonely people do. Well he clicked on something from a link he shouldn't have and poof, we watched all of our files get encrypted in real time. The pathetic part is this was the second time he did that. The first time he actually paid.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
This happened at my old job. Asshole father in law of the asshole owner instead of working would play puzzle games online where you could chat with people. Just something old lonely people do. Well he clicked on something from a link he shouldn't have and poof, we watched all of our files get encrypted in real time. The pathetic part is this was the second time he did that. The first time he actually paid.
I bet he has paid out $$$$$ because someone has video of him jacking on some kiddie website and are going to release it to the press...

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Maybe format the HD?
Pretty much this. We spent the past 30 hours running around to various PCs in our 17 campuses, installing an anti-malware product that specializes in protecting against ransom ware stuff, and the infrastructure team spent that much time rebuilding our VM servers from backups.

Today most of our systems are basically up, but some shit's still wonky, as they built enough redundant servers to get us up, but not to the level we were at before. This really sucked. Went in to work yesterday at noon, got home at 2:45 this morning. Back in at 7:30 AM. So far it's mostly quiet but that'll probably change.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Pretty much this. We spent the past 30 hours running around to various PCs in our 17 campuses, installing an anti-malware product that specializes in protecting against ransom ware stuff, and the infrastructure team spent that much time rebuilding our VM servers from backups.

Today most of our systems are basically up, but some shit's still wonky, as they built enough redundant servers to get us up, but not to the level we were at before. This really sucked. Went in to work yesterday at noon, got home at 2:45 this morning. Back in at 7:30 AM. So far it's mostly quiet but that'll probably change.
So what actually happened? Was it as simple as an idiot clicking a link he shouldn't? How did all this crap end up on your systems?

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
So what actually happened? Was it as simple as an idiot clicking a link he shouldn't? How did all this crap end up on your systems?
No word yet from on high, though rumor has it that it started in the company we merged with last year, where the IT support is laughable on its best day, and dangerous as hell on days like this one.

No official word yet, but I'd bet good money one of their big head muckety mucks did it, probably from demanding rights to shit he/she had no right to. Nobody outside of IT has administrator access to shit, and we closely watch any removable drive access at our southern side of the operation. The other guys are northern NJ. Big hospital chain up there, about as big as my side down here.