So what prescription drugs are YOU on?

commish13

Personal Friend of Chris Jericho
May 24, 2005
Emerson, NJ
Either currently or in the past. I've finally begun getting help for my anxiety and other things (in fact I've just admitted to myself very recently that there's some depression going on), and right now I'm on Effexor and Ativan, on them for 3 weeks and 1 week respectively. Before that I was on Lexapro and Xanax for about 3 weeks.

THIS IS A FUN TOPIC FULL OF JOY

So what about you?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
nexum. ive been thinking about trying some happy pills i would like to get some valume

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
Doctor is weaning me off of Effexor - apparently if you're bipolar, you should only be on antidepressants if you're depressed - kind of like shock therapy. If you stay on them as long as I have been, your system gets fucked up and you wind up on what I like to call the bipolar roller coaster. I feel fucking great since my dosage has been decreasing. I'm down to 225 mgs now (down from 450) and in 2 weeks go down to 190.

She's also got me on Lamictal to stabilize the mood swings and BuSpar for anxiety.

They gave me Ativan in the hospital and when I first came home ... knocked the shit out of me, as did Xanax & Valium.

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
Good point, click. You don't even have to smoke it if you don't want. Just mix it in with your food or something, like oregano.

DeltaPin

Donator
Feb 17, 2005
NJ
None.

I feel so left out.

commish13

May 24, 2005
Emerson, NJ
They gave me Ativan in the hospital and when I first came home ... knocked the shit out of me, as did Xanax & Valium.
What was the dosage of Ativan and Xanax you took? Aren't they supposed to be drugs that have some effect within a couple hours? I've taken up to 0.75mg of Xanax at a time and it never did anything for me, and I'm taking 1.0mg a day of Ativan in separate 0.5mg doses in the morning at night, and that ain't doing anything either.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
just finished a cycle of Tetracycline
for a gum infection

no side effects
but my skin looks FABULOUS

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
just finished a cycle of Tetracycline
for a gum infection

no side effects
but my skin looks FABULOUS
stay out of the sun to keep your skin looking so FABULOUS, sweetie :action-sm

commish13 said:
What was the dosage of Ativan and Xanax you took? Aren't they supposed to be drugs that have some effect within a couple hours? I've taken up to 0.75mg of Xanax at a time and it never did anything for me, and I'm taking 1.0mg a day of Ativan in separate 0.5mg doses in the morning at night, and that ain't doing anything either
I took the Xanax back in 1993 and the Ativan was in 1995. Both were the lowest possible doses if I remember correctly. I do remember feeling really spaced out when I took the Xanax and if I took the night time dose too close to bedtime, I couldn't get out of bed in the morning. The Ativan was after I got out of the hospital and was on an 'as needed' basis. But it wasn't when I thought I needed it...because I had a history of overdosing, the doctor made me promise to have my mother hold onto the meds. If I felt an anxiety attack coming on, she'd give me the Ativan. I hated taking it - within 1/2 hour I'd be napping.

You've only been on the Effexor for 3 weeks and the Ativan for 1. It's possible that it's not fully in your system which is why you're not feeling any great relief. You might want to speak to your doctor about it though.

One word of advice - DO NOT take yourself off the Effexor without letting your doctor know and DO NOT allow your doctor to take you off the meds cold turkey. There are some really nasty side effects including dizziness, numbness, sleeplessness, anxiety, crying jags and others. Even weaning off it might cause some symptoms but nothing as severe as if you come off cold turkey.

Don't know how much help I can be, but PM me if you have any questions.

commish13

May 24, 2005
Emerson, NJ
I was on the Xanax on an as needed basis as well, but it never did anything for me. At least not the 4 times I tried. The Ativan is like I said twice a day at .5mg a time, and I've only been doing that since Monday along with the 150mg of Effexor.

I was just under the impression that the Xanax especially was supposed to be for a bit of quick relief, where I would take a couple and within 2-3 hours it would take effect and sort of take the edge off for the lack of a better phrase. But I never felt anythng from taking the Xanax.

I appreciate your willingness to listen, miss.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
Kris is the best
she kinda looks after all of us assholes

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
If you feel you're not getting any relief then definitely speak to your doctor. The meds might need to be tweaked a little bit. Or you might need to try something else.

When you're first diagnosed, it's rough..there are so many meds out there and everyone reacts differently to them so it's kind of like russian roulette for lack of a better term. Once you finally hit on the right combination, you'll be amazed at how great you're going to feel.

As far as listening .. that's what Ma's are for ;)

Friday

Fezzing Out
May 1, 2007
elsewhere
only on singulair(asthma), aciphex (reflux), and ortho-tricyclen (BC)

no mood stabilizing fun for me! :(

brose

No ticky, no laundry
Dec 27, 2006
Springfield, MO
I was on the Xanax on an as needed basis as well, but it never did anything for me. At least not the 4 times I tried. The Ativan is like I said twice a day at .5mg a time, and I've only been doing that since Monday along with the 150mg of Effexor.

I was just under the impression that the Xanax especially was supposed to be for a bit of quick relief, where I would take a couple and within 2-3 hours it would take effect and sort of take the edge off for the lack of a better phrase. But I never felt anythng from taking the Xanax.

I appreciate your willingness to listen, miss.

Commish, just thought I would chime in here for a second. The Ativan should show some effect within 30 minutes or so. Ativan is going to take effect quite a bit quicker than Xanax, which is probably why you didn't feel much when you tried it.

Anxiety disorders are very difficult to treat at the very beginning, as Kris said. With benzo's like Ativan the doc's have to be careful not to give you too large of a dose, otherwise you will be a zombie. So they have to start with small doses and work their way up to a happy medium between symptomatic relief and you being able to function in your daily life. But you have to be sure to let your doctor know if you still have symptoms so he can adjust your doses.

One last comment, and this may actually be good news, but the Effexor should be in full effect in the next week or two. Drugs like Effexor suck because you have to be on them at least a month before they really have any effect, but once it is in full effect you should not have to rely on your Ativan as much if at all for anxiety attacks (because hopefully you won't have any:)) And to reitterate Kris' point, don't go off the Effexor "cold turkey". It can be very uncomfortable and potentially dangerous.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions about your drugs or anything.

commish13

May 24, 2005
Emerson, NJ
Yeah, I know about the Effexor taking a bit of time. I've got a very good doctor and he's making sure I understand it all pretty well. I did the whole 2 week ween on thing taking 37.5 for a week and 75 for a second week, and now I'm on the 150mg dose.

As far as the Ativan, like I said it is a small dose, and I've been taking 1.0mg a day for 4 days now with no effect at all. I'm seeing my doctor 2 days after Christmas, so if it's the same then, he will know.

I understand the whole adjusting doses, as I started with 10mg of Lexapro for 2 weeks, it did nothing, so it was raised to 20mg, and that did nothing after 2 weeks, so I did the aforementioned week of the 37.5mg Effexor and went back down to 10mg of Lexapro with it for that week, and then was done with Lexapro.

But yeah, thus far none of any of that has done even the slightest bit of anything for me. I guess I'll see in due time. Plus, when I go to see the doc in 2 weeks I will also let him know about my recent admission to myself that I am depressed, so we'll see where that takes me.

Wow, this thread is such a ridiculous contrast of the Motivational Pictures thread. That's why Wackbag rules. Thank you Ma (I think I can get used to calling you that) and brose.

I knew I'd be in good company as far as drugs taken when it came to Wackbag, so I'm glad I started this post.

Also, note to self: Good job, Tyra.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
None, never been on any either. It's somewhat surprising. I take my anxiety out on my hands.