Solar Panels? Just fliritng with the idea...

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
So I had a company, Level Solar, come out for a preliminary look a my house to see about doing a solar install with a PPA...

They install the panels free and maintain them and then you buy electricity from them through the panels at a rate about 1/2 the current rate...

Sort of like you let them use your roof as a power plant that you buy the power from...

Let's see where this goes...I don't know if my house gets the right sun to pass their acceptance criteria...

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Do you forfeit all the tax perks that the fed throws at you if you just lease a system from somebody? Certainly let them do all the leg work and site survey and then really look into how much it would be to have a system you own. You would think the trend would be that the cost of the equipment will go down and the efficiency will improve.

milhouse

Feb 1, 2015
Sounds like a scam to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Sounds like a scam to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God damn it, agreeing with you hurts my soul

It's a scam, buy them outright, the local news did a piece on that exact scam today

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
I've heard those lease places give you shoddy panels and charge you for power you're not getting. And if you're locked into a lease, you can't remove them and back out of the deal

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
You know those big flashing highway signs on trailers that warn about construction or delays? They are a complete solar setup. Hook on, take home, remove the tracker and display, and you are all set to make clean free power.

NotSoFast

Apr 23, 2006
Thibodaux, LA USA
They shut down all of those local solar panel leasing companies around here. All of them are being investigated for fraud, etc.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Everyone says it's a scam. Let's see if he does it anyway...

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
God damn it, agreeing with you hurts my soul

It's a scam, buy them outright, the local news did a piece on that exact scam today
http://6abc.com/shopping/consumer-reports-is-leasing-solar-panels-worth-it/1437057/
If you've been thinking about switching to solar, this is a good time. It's easier and cheaper than ever before.

Going solar has a lot of benefits but it can come with a lot of problems, too. Especially when you're deciding how to finance your solar system.

Mike Moore has no regrets about converting to solar power. He leased the panels on his roof for no money down and saves almost $200 dollars a month on his electric bill!

But all is not well.

In order to fix a leak on his roof, the solar panels need to be taken down, stored, and later put back up.

It's a fairly simple job that should cost less than a thousand dollars. But Moore can't find a single local company that will do the work.

"No one wants to work on panels that are leased by someone else," said Mike.

People lease solar systems because buying the system outright requires a lot of up-front costs. But experts at Consumer Reports say leasing is not such a bright idea for several reasons.

"By leasing, you miss out on any federal tax benefits and local incentives. Plus, people who lease save far less than those who buy their systems outright," said Dan DiClerico, Home Editor at Consumer Reports.

In fact, one analysis shows buying a solar system can save you as much as 60 thousand dollars over 20 years. But lease your system and your savings can drop to $20,000 dollars over the same 20 years.

"Also, many leasing contracts contain something called an escalator clause, which means your payments go up every year, further reducing your savings," said Dan.

If you do buy, expect to pay 15 to 20 thousand dollars after tax credits, and you'll save 70 to 100 percent off your current electricity bill.

Most systems pay for themselves in five to seven years. And as Michael Moore found out, the real cost of leasing might be steeper than you expect.

If your roof is likely to need replacing within the next five years, Consumer Reports suggests you consider replacing it before the panels are installed.

And if you don't want to pay for the panels outright, Consumer Reports says you are much better off financing the purchase than leasing.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
http://6abc.com/shopping/consumer-reports-is-leasing-solar-panels-worth-it/1437057/
If you've been thinking about switching to solar, this is a good time. It's easier and cheaper than ever before.

Going solar has a lot of benefits but it can come with a lot of problems, too. Especially when you're deciding how to finance your solar system.

Mike Moore has no regrets about converting to solar power. He leased the panels on his roof for no money down and saves almost $200 dollars a month on his electric bill!

But all is not well.

In order to fix a leak on his roof, the solar panels need to be taken down, stored, and later put back up.

It's a fairly simple job that should cost less than a thousand dollars. But Moore can't find a single local company that will do the work.

"No one wants to work on panels that are leased by someone else," said Mike.

People lease solar systems because buying the system outright requires a lot of up-front costs. But experts at Consumer Reports say leasing is not such a bright idea for several reasons.

"By leasing, you miss out on any federal tax benefits and local incentives. Plus, people who lease save far less than those who buy their systems outright," said Dan DiClerico, Home Editor at Consumer Reports.

In fact, one analysis shows buying a solar system can save you as much as 60 thousand dollars over 20 years. But lease your system and your savings can drop to $20,000 dollars over the same 20 years.

"Also, many leasing contracts contain something called an escalator clause, which means your payments go up every year, further reducing your savings," said Dan.

If you do buy, expect to pay 15 to 20 thousand dollars after tax credits, and you'll save 70 to 100 percent off your current electricity bill.

Most systems pay for themselves in five to seven years. And as Michael Moore found out, the real cost of leasing might be steeper than you expect.

If your roof is likely to need replacing within the next five years, Consumer Reports suggests you consider replacing it before the panels are installed.

And if you don't want to pay for the panels outright, Consumer Reports says you are much better off financing the purchase than leasing.
I just read that in the Chinese girls voive

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
Leased solar panels can also cause problems when it comes time to sell your house. The new buyer has to qualify for the lease, and there may be new terms.

For example, if you use a lot of power but the buyer uses very little, the contract may require the new buyer to buy power he isn't using, which will scare off potential buyers and cost you money.

If possible, buy your panels.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
You know those big flashing highway signs on trailers that warn about construction or delays? They are a complete solar setup. Hook on, take home, remove the tracker and display, and you are all set to make clean free power.
I can tell you firsthand that those solar panels on the message boards barely keep the battery bank charged on a sunny day. If it's cloudy out we are having to hook up generators to keep them charged. The newer LED models might be a bit more efficient, but I generally don't expect much from solar panels.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
I can tell you firsthand that those solar panels on the message boards barely keep the battery bank charged on a sunny day. If it's cloudy out we are having to hook up generators to keep them charged. The newer LED models might be a bit more efficient, but I generally don't expect much from solar panels.
Yeah we worked on some show your speed type radar trailers that had a 1x3' panel that was the same way. The real power came from the two full sized deep cycle marine batteries. I think the manufacturer of the trailer expected no more than a day extra lifespan, again on a sunny day.

Granted these panels were probably ancient compared to whats out there now. So either you're an Ed Begley type guy that feels he's doing it for the earth, or you're cashing in on as much tax credits as you can get to make this feasible.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
Ok...they are not a lease...It's called a PPA - Power purchase agreement. Zero dollars out of your pocket for them. You just pay for the power the generate at a discounted rate.

They maintain all the stuff.
You buy electricity from them at a fixed rate for 20 years. That rate increases 2.4% per year. The 20 year rate is LESS than the current rate for my electricity. You can buy the system from them at any time...
IT seems sketchy but all the research I do on it basically says that since they do/get all the rebates and what not that they can afford to sell you the electricity so cheap.

I would also like to see about buing my own system outright but they haven't even done an assessment of the house and if it's worth it...
https://www.facebook.com/LevelSolar/

I was asking the guy over and over..if it costs nothing and you save on electricity why isn't everyone doing it? And he said it's a credit thing first...they want a good credit rating to be sure you will pay for the electricity..
I am still trying to sort out if we still get your power from national grid or if they are our full supplier...

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Ok...they are not a lease...It's called a PPA - Power purchase agreement. Zero dollars out of your pocket for them. You just pay for the power the generate at a discounted rate.

You buy electricity from them at a fixed rate for 20 years. That rate increases 2.4% per year. The 20 year rate is LESS than the current rate for my electricity. You can buy the system from them at any time...
IT seems sketchy but all the research I do on it basically says that since they do/get all the rebates and what not that they can afford to sell you the electricity so cheap.

I would also like to see about buing my own system outright but they haven't even done an assessment of the house and if it's worth it...

I was asking the guy over and over..if it costs nothing and you save on electricity why isn't everyone doing it? And he said it's a credit thing first...they want a good credit rating to be sure you will pay for the electricity..
I am still trying to sort out if we still get your power from national grid or if they are our full supplier...
Meanwhile a system you own would cost less per year as you are nearing and passing break even on the investment. What about the tax perks, don't they get them all? Just the fact that they can make money off you for 20 years means it's probably worth financing it yourself. Also when shit breaks down how quickly are they going to jump at fixing it for you?

Yeah it's credit that is keeping everyone from jumping in :rolleyes:

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Meanwhile a system you own would cost less per year as you are nearing and passing break even on the investment. What about the tax perks, don't they get them all? Just the fact that they can make money off you for 20 years means it's probably worth financing it yourself. Also when shit breaks down how quickly are they going to jump at fixing it for you?

Yeah it's credit that is keeping everyone from jumping in :rolleyes:
Most people won't save money off solar. You can get pretty close to breaking even.

My uncle is in the solar business, and even he admits that, taking everything into account (maintenance, life of panels, etc) most homeowners barely break even at the end of the system's life. You may have a year or so of reduced energy costs after you "pay off" the system from savings, and this is in places that have a lot of sunlight and minimum weather that would reduce the life of the panels.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Most people won't save money off solar. You can get pretty close to breaking even.

My uncle is in the solar business, and even he admits that, taking everything into account (maintenance, life of panels, etc) most homeowners barely break even at the end of the system's life. You may have a year or so of reduced energy costs after you "pay off" the system from savings, and this is in places that have a lot of sunlight and minimum weather that would reduce the life of the panels.
You are better off installing solar hot water than trying to make money trying to make electricity, give it ten years for the engineers to make less power consuming products and better batteries then it might be worth it. Or you need to be completely off grid and have two or even three ways to charge battery banks, solar wind and hydro, even then a back up generation either steam or diesel

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
Remember solar aint running your stove, hot water, AC, dryer, and most types heat. I would not run any thing with a motor on a solar battery ether. GOOD LUCK

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
You are better off installing solar hot water than trying to make money trying to make electricity, give it ten years for the engineers to make less power consuming products and better batteries then it might be worth it. Or you need to be completely off grid and have two or even three ways to charge battery banks, solar wind and hydro, even then a back up generation either steam or diesel
One of my old bosses installed a few solar panels out at his cabin because he thought he could have electricity all the time with them.

The most useful thing about those panels was using them to identify the shed where the diesel generator was.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho

It looks like a great deal and you should jump on it before word gets out and everybody does it. These can't lose money printing deals only happen once in a lifetime if you're lucky. Congrats.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Between reading this thread and some research I had been doing on my own, I think I'm going to tell my dad he may want to forget about getting solar panels for his home.