Solar Panels? Just fliritng with the idea...

I am just searching for cheaper electricity...don't care how...
I am paying close to $300 a month for electricity (budget plan balanced throughout the year) and I routinely use a shitload more than any of my neighbors...So I was looking for ways to reduce the cost/ kW/H of my power..

TomC

uppity neobarb
I am paying close to $300 a month for electricity (budget plan balanced throughout the year) and I routinely use a shitload more than any of my neighbors...So I was looking for ways to reduce the cost/ kW/H of my power..
We don't want reasonable well thought answers here.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
I'd swap out any old bulbs for LEDS and look for other ways to cut costs. You must have a few things hogging the current. Look for them.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Logically look at what you have plugged in, hot water, and cooling are the most obvious expensive things but all the little shit adds up, how many 12v transformers do you have plugged in? I unplugged all but one in my house and cut my bill by 20$ those fuckers burn electricity even when they are not being used
I have an awesome od 1950 fridge when I unplugged that pig that was 20$ a month

Logically look at what you have plugged in, hot water, and cooling are the most obvious expensive things but all the little shit adds up, how many 12v transformers do you have plugged in? I unplugged all but one in my house and cut my bill by 20$ those fuckers burn electricity even when they are not being used
Good tip, but a lot of the newer AC adapters don't pull much current when not in use. Usually you can tell the ones that don't have transformers in them don't have the heft that the xfmr ones do.

DVRs can be power killers for people that like to put them on all TVs in the house since they are always on and buffer recording.

THE FEZ MAN

Good tip, but a lot of the newer AC adapters don't pull much current when not in use. Usually you can tell the ones that don't have transformers in them don't have the heft that the xfmr ones do.

DVRs can be power killers for people that like to put them on all TVs in the house since they are always on and buffer recording.
A lot of people are still using the old ones, I keep it simple, if it's plugged in, and it's warm but what it's plugged into is off its pulling power, I know the DVRs and cable boxes are big power suckers so are empty freezers, i filled the empty fridge at my house with water bottles once they froze, the fridge runs half as much, I'm actually considering completely shutting off my hot water heater, but if you do that the heater will become a bio hazard

No AC....Fans cool us..All bulbs are LED...It's to the point where if we go out and my kid notices LED light bulbs she says "Ohh dad must love this place, they have LED's"

The real killer here is electric heat...it's that and a wood stove. We only turn the heat on in my kids room and that's set at like 64F from 6am to 8am and 8pm to 10pm all other times it's set to 59F. I have a lot of electronics that are running but that's pretty normal these days...I have a media server, 3 tivo's. 2 pc's and a laptop...Most go to sleep when not in use...Electric water heater...electric dryer...endless electric!

5skin

With electric heat and water heater it sounds like geothermal would be more beneficial than solar panels.
Or get a gas furnace and water heater.

Are you sure you're not getting fucked on that year round "budget" plan? Sure seems like a lot considering you're not running an A/C compressor. Either that or all these electric devices are terribly inefficient.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Do you grow marijuana in the basement?

TomC

uppity neobarb
Sure seems like a lot considering you're not running an A/C compressor
If when he says electric heat he means an air furnace with strip heaters only and not a heat pump it would be cheaper to burn dollar bills for heat. A standard compressor pulls 7-10 amps, a common size strip heater is 10kw and it pulls 40 amps. Most heat strip only units come with 15-20 kw heat, thats 60-80 amps.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Look at upgrading inefficient appliances. How old are your fridge, stove, washer/dryer, freezer, TV, etc. These things could pay for themselves in a few months with new efficient models.

If when he says electric heat he means an air furnace with strip heaters only and not a heat pump it would be cheaper to burn dollar bills for heat. A standard compressor pulls 7-10 amps, a common size strip heater is 10kw and it pulls 40 amps. Most heat strip only units come with 15-20 kw heat, thats 60-80 amps.
Nope...I mean many feet of baseboard electric running off of 20 amp breakers...
16 feet in my kids room...
16 feet in the living room
3 feet in each bathroom (3)
22 feet in the master bedroom...

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Didn't realize you were in MA. My SIL lives near Leominster, and her electric bill is like $1000 a month. She always blames the power company and the regulations. I simply cannot fathom that, our bill is usually less than $100 a month regardless of the time of year. It might hit $200 in December with more lights on and Christmas decorations out. What are you paying per kWh? You might be able to gain a quicker savings on solar panels if your ELCO is rayping you that badly. But look at a loan or financing to buy the panels rather than falling for these scams.

NotSoFast

I've been living here for 8 years and have never had an electric bill over $60. And that's with the a/c cranked in the summer. I can't imagine what it takes to have a $500-1000 bill.

THE FEZ MAN

I've been living here for 8 years and have never had an electric bill over $60. And that's with the a/c cranked in the summer. I can't imagine what it takes to have a $500-1000 bill.
Around here (philly) I have shut almost everything in my house (the one that I don't live in) off and I can't get my electric bill below 90$ my garage, is on its own meter and I pay 150-200$ a month, and that's if I'm not really doing stuff, I can't wait to see June/July when I was running the a/c unit and three fans, the main house.... 4-500 a month easy in the summer

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
I just got my bill for the last month when it's been pretty
over average for heat. Around 350 bucks this time.
It's a tad higher than I usually pay but I guess since the
wife retired and is home all day she keeps it colder.

the max

attempted murder? now honestly, what is that?
Holy smokes you guys are paying that much for electric with no central air?

We added LED's and started monitoring the air temperature more and pay around $150/month. That's with the air set at 80 during the day and lowered to 75 at night.

the max

attempted murder? now honestly, what is that?
We've looked into adding solar but we'll probably need a new roof in a few years and I'm hoping the price will have gone down slightly after that.

RIght now it'd be $32,000 up front and using averages of all of the different types and ways and all that shit our electric bill would drop about $100 a month. It'd take like 20 something years to break even.

Bobobie

Where do you live? If you live in a sunny place like the Southwest or California it might worth it.
I've heard that some people don't have batteries, they sell it all to the power grid and it just lowers their electric bill.

Are you using Electric heat? Invest in an outside boiler that burns wood. My Bro-In-Law bought something like this. Burns wood or pellets, makes heat and hot water.

If you don't have Nat gas in your area, buy a pig and burn Propane. Anything is cheaper than Electric heat.

Last edited: