Solar Panels? Just fliritng with the idea...

steve500

Where do you live? If you live in a sunny place like the Southwest or California it might worth it.
I've heard that some people don't have batteries, they sell it all to the power grid and it just lowers their electric bill.

Are you using Electric heat? Invest in an outside boiler that burns wood. My Bro-In-Law bought something like this. Burns wood or pellets, makes heat and hot water.

If you don't have Nat gas in your area, buy a pig and burn Propane. Anything is cheaper than Electric heat.
What's with the random chick in that promo photo?

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
This thread just saved me time and money. Thanks, assholes.

5skin

Somewhere on Molly Ringwald
Where do you live? If you live in a sunny place like the Southwest or California it might worth it.
I've heard that some people don't have batteries, they sell it all to the power grid and it just lowers their electric bill.

Are you using Electric heat? Invest in an outside boiler that burns wood. My Bro-In-Law bought something like this. Burns wood or pellets, makes heat and hot water.

If you don't have Nat gas in your area, buy a pig and burn Propane. Anything is cheaper than Electric heat.
There are radiators you can add to forced air systems for these too.
There's a fella with one of these connected to his house and his shop 200' away. That's also where his firebo is. The shop has radiant heat in the floors with a pump that turns on every 15 minutes for one minute. The water/coolant then goes into two 35 gallon water heaters that also get cycled with hot water every 15 minutes as the recycled water comes through. It takes very little to keep his shop at 75°, 3 open bays and a fourth closed off with the water heaters and pumps.

Gas/electric here is $150-200. '70s ranch, 1600sqft, new windows, steel roof over 1/2" extruded polystyrene foam, 3/4" extruded polystyrene foam with vertical vinyl siding over it.
Washer and gas dryer run ALOT and there's lots of chargers, devices, two fridge's and a deep freeze. The shop doesn't see enough use to contribute much.
And there's none of those people.
You know what I mean.

Bobobie

There are radiators you can add to forced air systems for these too.
There's a fella with one of these connected to his house and his shop 200' away. That's also where his firebo is. The shop has radiant heat in the floors with a pump that turns on every 15 minutes for one minute. The water/coolant then goes into two 35 gallon water heaters that also get cycled with hot water every 15 minutes as the recycled water comes through. It takes very little to keep his shop at 75°, 3 open bays and a fourth closed off with the water heaters and pumps.

Gas/electric here is $150-200. '70s ranch, 1600sqft, new windows, steel roof over 1/2" extruded polystyrene foam, 3/4" extruded polystyrene foam with vertical vinyl siding over it.
Washer and gas dryer run ALOT and there's lots of chargers, devices, two fridge's and a deep freeze. The shop doesn't see enough use to contribute much.
And there's none of those people.
You know what I mean.
My Bro-In-Law heated his house, and his nephews house next door (until they sold the house and moved).

NotSoFast

My bill has gone up since it's hot as balls here in the Louisiana heat and humidity. Here's my latest one. Average is about $35-45. Up over $50 now.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
My bill has gone up since it's hot as balls here in the Louisiana heat and humidity. Here's my latest one. Average is about $35-45. Up over $50 now.
Praying for you.

So for those of you who believed it was a scam...They tested my house and there is not enough sun over 68% exposure...I could only get 6 panels to 68% exposure and they require 8...
I talked to the guy for a while and told him that nearly everyone says not to do this and they all think it's some kind of scam..
He said that's because of the failure of leasing and people not anticipating the drop in panel prices and the increase in govt. rebates/credits...
With a PPA they get all the rebates which allows them to install the panels on your house for free and recoup the remainder by selling you the power that gets generated at a price 1/2 that of your current price....They do all the maintenance..you just have to take care of the replacement of the special 2 way meter if the installed one breaks down in 10 years...(It's warranty)

I pay like $10 a day...

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
I've heard varying plans from people and know 1 that
has had panels installed but they own them.
I'm having someone come out soon and see what they can
do for me. I have a corner property and no trees blocking
sun from my roof on either side of an A frame.
I don't care about what will happen in 20 years since I'm
gonna be 60 next week and might never see 80. ;)

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
I've heard varying plans from people and know 1 that
has had panels installed but they own them.
I'm having someone come out soon and see what they can
do for me. I have a corner property and no trees blocking
sun from my roof on either side of an A frame.
I don't care about what will happen in 20 years since I'm
gonna be 60 next week and might never see 80. ;)
We're hoping you don't see 60.

Wavy

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
It has been hot as fuck here in KS, 90+ about every day, and the air has been running even at night. I kept the joint at 76 degrees all month and the bill came yesterday. I used more power in July than in the previous 12 months. $137 for the month.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
We're hoping you don't see 60.

Wavy
I did, you lose. You need betting tips from the Horse to be a winner. ;)

So I got panels put on the house from Solar City. Basically the same deal as
Tree Fort Richard described. Solar City paid for the install. Zero out of pocket.

Peco wanted us to increase the drop into the house to handle the higher power
going back into the lines but wouldn't pay for it. Solar City agreed to pay since my
house has plenty of sun on both sides and will generate a butt load of power.
They'll make their money back quickly.

They estimate I will get 80+ % of my power off the roof panels. I'll buy the
power from them for about 1/2 of PECO's rates. Plus, they insure that there
will be no leaks or problems from the panels and wiring. That's in writing and
up to 1 million per household. I can buy the system outright if I want after 5
years and can get a battery back up system for the house if I want.

Gonna wait on that. Dealer told me the prices are coming down fast.
Will be cheaper in a couple of years and with the amount of energy
the panels will generate I could go about a month off the grid.

TomC

uppity neobarb
I did, you lose. You need betting tips from the Horse to be a winner. ;)

So I got panels put on the house from Solar City. Basically the same deal as
Tree Fort Richard described. Solar City paid for the install. Zero out of pocket.

Peco wanted us to increase the drop into the house to handle the higher power
going back into the lines but wouldn't pay for it. Solar City agreed to pay since my
house has plenty of sun on both sides and will generate a butt load of power.
They'll make their money back quickly.

They estimate I will get 80+ % of my power off the roof panels. I'll buy the
power from them for about 1/2 of PECO's rates. Plus, they insure that there
will be no leaks or problems from the panels and wiring. That's in writing and
up to 1 million per household. I can buy the system outright if I want after 5
years and can get a battery back up system for the house if I want.

Gonna wait on that. Dealer told me the prices are coming down fast.
Will be cheaper in a couple of years and with the amount of energy
the panels will generate I could go about a month off the grid.
unplanned shit comes up and you HAVE to sell the house, what happens? Real ?

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
unplanned shit comes up and you HAVE to sell the house, what happens? Real ?
They will take the system down if the new owners won't accept it.
Yeah it'll cost me a few bucks but at this point in my life I don't
plan on moving unless I hit the lottery and then I don't give a shit.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
This may not come up wherever you fuckers are, but a few words of advice (again) on solar:

As it becomes more common, I believe these issues will become better known.

Don't install a leased solar if there's any real chance you'll sell the house within 5 years.
Don't buy a place that has a leased solar if it was installed in less than 5 years, unless you REALLY love the place.

Financing on leased solar can be tricky, especially if it's under a HERO-PACE program. Get someone who really knows finances to look over the loan for you. It doesn't mean it's a bad loan: it just means there are things in there that are pretty damn tricky and you should be aware of them ahead of time.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
That's the thing for me. My house is paid off. I have no intention of moving.
The next owner is most likely to be my kid when he inherits the house.

VMS

That's the thing for me. My house is paid off. I have no intention of moving.
The next owner is most likely to be my kid when he inherits the house.
Wait until it's time for you to go into a home, oldster.

Word to the wise: really, really don't do the entire reverse mortgage thing if you can possibly help it. Bad, bad financial product.

I'm curious how this is going to work out
The Sun will go out and all that solar shit will be dead weight.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

Word to the wise: really, really don't do the entire reverse mortgage thing if you can possibly help it. Bad, bad financial product.

It has been cloudy lately

steve500

What exactly is the deal behind reverse mortgages..like how do they work and what's the catch? I've assumed they're a scam since they advertise between MyPillow and catheter commercials, but never looked into the details.

VMS

What exactly is the deal behind reverse mortgages..like how do they work and what's the catch? I've assumed they're a scam since they advertise between MyPillow and catheter commercials, but never looked into the details.
They're buying your house from you in 2027 at 2017 bargain prices. And usually doing it in small installments, while you're still paying the property taxes and such.

If you're really going to stay in that house until you die AND you don't really give a shit if you're leaving your kids any kind of inheritance... it's still a pretty shitty product, but if someone's in a deep enough jam it can make sense.

Ok, let's say I'm 70 and I own a house that's worth $100,000 right now. I owe $40,000 on it.

The reverse mortgage company pays me $60,000 on it, minus fees and interest (oh, yeah, THEY get the interest on MY house that they're buying from me...). So I get maybe $50,000, spread over maybe five years, so I get a check for about $830/month. I still have to pay property taxes and insurance on the house, though to be fair the regular mortgage will be paid off.

And when I'm 80 and I need to go into a nursing home? Well, then the RM company takes possession of my house, which is now worth much more (5% increase for 10 years would be insanely good, but it would also mean your house is worth almost $163k, so the RM company just made $63k beyond the fees and interest off of you), AND I DON'T GET SHIT FOR MY HOUSE AT THAT POINT. Nursing home is out of pocket.

Or, if I croak at 80, the RM company takes possession of my house. And my kids are left with nothing, while if they'd helped me out with a refinance of my house ($40,000 is something like a $300/month loan, depending) they'd then make out something like $133k on that house, all for making $300/month payments for the last decade ($36,000 investment that also goes under the heading "I love my dad and I'm going to take care of him").

Look, I get being selfish and hating your parents and not wanting to throw money at them. But the fucking system is SET UP to reward you for "doing the right thing". Shit like reverse mortgages are great for family units losing wealth over the long term, while taking care of the old farts will often net you greater financial rewards for changing their damn diapers when they get that old.

Reverse mortgages are basically for people who are totally at the end of their rope, can't afford their house right now, and desperately want to stay in it.

If the neighborhood goes bad, you're stuck or you give up your home that you OWN for NOTHING. You keep the payments from the RM company, sure, but they're chicken feed compared to what you could sell your house for.

Property values go up over time. The RM company is paying you 2017 prices for a home they're going to get in 2027 or later. They're betting on the property value going up, you're betting on it going down.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
They're buying your house from you in 2027 at 2017 bargain prices. And usually doing it in small installments, while you're still paying the property taxes and such.

If you're really going to stay in that house until you die AND you don't really give a shit if you're leaving your kids any kind of inheritance... it's still a pretty shitty product, but if someone's in a deep enough jam it can make sense.

Ok, let's say I'm 70 and I own a house that's worth $100,000 right now. I owe $40,000 on it.

The reverse mortgage company pays me $60,000 on it, minus fees and interest (oh, yeah, THEY get the interest on MY house that they're buying from me...). So I get maybe $50,000, spread over maybe five years, so I get a check for about $830/month. I still have to pay property taxes and insurance on the house, though to be fair the regular mortgage will be paid off.

And when I'm 80 and I need to go into a nursing home? Well, then the RM company takes possession of my house, which is now worth much more (5% increase for 10 years would be insanely good, but it would also mean your house is worth almost $163k, so the RM company just made $63k beyond the fees and interest off of you), AND I DON'T GET SHIT FOR MY HOUSE AT THAT POINT. Nursing home is out of pocket.

Or, if I croak at 80, the RM company takes possession of my house. And my kids are left with nothing, while if they'd helped me out with a refinance of my house ($40,000 is something like a $300/month loan, depending) they'd then make out something like $133k on that house, all for making $300/month payments for the last decade ($36,000 investment that also goes under the heading "I love my dad and I'm going to take care of him").

Look, I get being selfish and hating your parents and not wanting to throw money at them. But the fucking system is SET UP to reward you for "doing the right thing". Shit like reverse mortgages are great for family units losing wealth over the long term, while taking care of the old farts will often net you greater financial rewards for changing their damn diapers when they get that old.

Reverse mortgages are basically for people who are totally at the end of their rope, can't afford their house right now, and desperately want to stay in it.

If the neighborhood goes bad, you're stuck or you give up your home that you OWN for NOTHING. You keep the payments from the RM company, sure, but they're chicken feed compared to what you could sell your house for.

Property values go up over time. The RM company is paying you 2017 prices for a home they're going to get in 2027 or later. They're betting on the property value going up, you're betting on it going down.
My grand mother did it, completely screwing us, but to be fair my father had little to do with his mother (I think it was because of my mothers dislike for my grand mothers live in boyfriend who was an abusing drunk) one way or the other she basically sold her home for pennies on the dollar. The funny thing is she was in a neighborhood that has done nothing but skyrocket in value, even being a dump of a house, with a little upgrading it was worth probably 250k because of its location

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff

If the sun goes out that much we'll all be dead.

And I agree on the reverse mortgage thing.
The only people that might help is someone who's old, has
no kids and full equity in their house. I'd never do it.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
So, everything is finally running. Fuck PECO.
They stalled as long as they could. Been running
over a month now. My PECO bill dropped to under
$100 bucks for gas and electric. HAHAHAHA.
Fuck them. Solar City gives me the 1st month's bill
on them and I get a $7.50 discount each month for
having auto pay.

NotSoFast

Not worth it for me. My electric bill is never over $50 here. In November/December and again in March/April it gets as low as $25.