Solar Panels? Just fliritng with the idea...

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Not worth it for me. My electric bill is never over $50 here. In November/December and again in March/April it gets as low as $25.
I'd be thrilled if it wasn't worth it but it is.
In the summer my electric bill gets over $250 a month.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Not worth it for me. My electric bill is never over $50 here. In November/December and again in March/April it gets as low as $25.
Fucking Peco charges me 20$ a month just to have a meter on my garage, that bill runs me a minimum of 100$ a month , my albatross house, running two lights on timers, two fans to circulate air and a fridge that's never opened is 80$ a month.
Our main house, in the summer is well over 300$ a month sometimes more depending on how much the air conditioner runs and the pool filter, as a matter of fact I don't think the bill for the main house has ever dropped below 200$ even when we were away for 2 weeks with no one home

TomC

uppity neobarb
Ok how does this work, I have a shit load of roof and not a close tree, and if I ever move again if will be with divorce papers or in a coffin. I know solar makes low voltage, I am sure 90% of my bill is the two 4 ton HVAC units, the elec water heater, elec stove, and elec drier. All high amp 230 volt units, how does solar help that?

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Ok how does this work, I have a shit load of roof and not a close tree, and if I ever move again if will be with divorce papers or in a coffin. I know solar makes low voltage, I am sure 90% of my bill is the two 4 ton HVAC units, the elec water heater, elec stove, and elec drier. All high amp 230 volt units, how does solar help that?
All electricity comes down to usage. The same power entering your house from the pole can be generated by panels and converted to AC current for use by your appliances. So whether you run two light bulbs or a meat locker sized compressor, your generated power will either supplement or replace the power you buy from the electric company. If you're trying to become completely independent of the grid, you would need to calculate your usage and size your solar array accordingly. You would also need to consider batteries or some storage medium.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
I have 2 units on the back of the house that
produce 230 volts for the house.
1 hooks to the front panels, the other the rear.
From there the power goes thru meters
and is used or sold back to PECO.

TomC

uppity neobarb
All electricity comes down to usage. The same power entering your house from the pole can be generated by panels and converted to AC current for use by your appliances. So whether you run two light bulbs or a meat locker sized compressor, your generated power will either supplement or replace the power you buy from the electric company. If you're trying to become completely independent of the grid, you would need to calculate your usage and size your solar array accordingly. You would also need to consider batteries or some storage medium.
Thanks for the answer, I understand A/C power and I know what the transformer on the pole does. I know that the mains coming into to my 200 amp panel 230 volt single phase and I know solar panels make vary low voltage, that's all my solar knowledge. I am wondering if this would help me much, I don't know what happens after the panel makes the low voltage, do they use a step up transformer?

TomC

uppity neobarb
I have 2 units on the back of the house that
produce 230 volts for the house.
1 hooks to the front panels, the other the rear.
From there the power goes thru meters
and is used or sold back to PECO.
Answer my question while typing, think those are step up transformers.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Thanks for the answer, I understand A/C power and I know what the transformer on the pole does. I know that the mains coming into to my 200 amp panel 230 volt single phase and I know solar panels make vary low voltage, that's all my solar knowledge. I am wondering if this would help me much, I don't know what happens after the panel makes the low voltage, do they use a step up transformer?
Solar panels produce DC current which must be transformed into AC current for use by the appliances in your house. So they're low voltage (12-24 volt) but it's DC current. The power from the pole to your house is already AC current and it isn't transformed, but usually stepped down from 3ph/480v to 240v at the meter.

TomC

uppity neobarb
Solar panels produce DC current which must be transformed into AC current for use by the appliances in your house. So they're low voltage (12-24 volt) but it's DC current. The power from the pole to your house is already AC current and it isn't transformed, but usually stepped down from 3ph/480v to 240v at the meter.
Think I am catching on, was over thinking it. Panels don't need to much, just produce current, the high amp things are still pulling from the same source. Panels are just feeding what ever current it makes back.

The appropriate device would be called an inverter. So as long as your 12-XXv volt dc battery array has enough power your inverter can convert it to 120-240+ ac.

TomC

uppity neobarb
issues I am see right off the bat is they have smarmy websites that will not give out the good info without a phone # and address. Used old home phone in one place and got msg that I was getting a SMS code to put in, fuck all that. I cant stand sales.

NotSoFast

Lots of these companies are being shut down for scamming the customers. They sign up a bunch of people, collect the government tax bonuses then are never heard from again.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
The Tesla roof is a 100,000 dollars. The upside it is a lifetime warranty.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
issues I am see right off the bat is they have smarmy websites that will not give out the good info without a phone # and address. Used old home phone in one place and got msg that I was getting a SMS code to put in, fuck all that. I cant stand sales.
I hate salespeople too but was willing to listen if it was gonna
save me some cash. I had questions all set when he came over
to the house with his laptop for his presentation.
By the time he was done he had answered every question I had.
I seriously had nothing left to ask the guy and was willing to get
the process started right then and did.

Lots of these companies are being shut down for scamming the customers. They sign up a bunch of people, collect the government tax bonuses then are never heard from again.
That's why I did research and chose Solar City.
I know people that have used them and are happy with them.
I'm sure they have people complaining too but from what I know
from others and what they presented to me I felt OK getting them.
So far, everything has gone well on their end, it was our power
company PECO that was the problem.

Bobobie

What uses so much energy is your AC units compressor. I doubt you can knock enough off your bill to offset that energy drain.

Bobobie

Do you have Natural Gas in your area? Switch your Stove, Water Heater, and Dryer to gas. It's a lot cheaper.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
What uses so much energy is your AC units compressor. I doubt you can knock enough off your bill to offset that energy drain.
That's the whole point of this. There's no change in the amount of
energy I use, there's a difference in how I pay for it.

Bobobie

That's the whole point of this. There's no change in the amount of
energy I use, there's a difference in how I pay for it.
Just saying that if $200 of your bill is AC and the rest is $50, you can offset the $50 portion, but barely put a dent in that $200. It's also like paying your taxes, you can't get back more than what you put in. You can't make enough energy to power your AC nor can you produce enough energy to sell to the the utility to offset the cost.