Solar Panels? Just fliritng with the idea...

lajikal

The Tesla roof is a 100,000 dollars. The upside it is a lifetime warranty.
You could probably get a decent setup for <$10k. Guess Tesla is more fancy? Haven't read up on it.

$100K? that's a lot of gigawatts.

Bobobie

You could probably get a decent setup for <$10k. Guess Tesla is more fancy? Haven't read up on it.

Just use regular Deep Cycle batteries and Solar Panels. Same result massive savings.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
no, country living.
I always laugh when people say they can't get natural gas in rural areas. My family has a secluded ranch in the mountains (25 miles of dirt road from the nearest highway), 5 miles behind locked gates), and they even have natural gas to the cabins out there.

The main pipeline happened to pass within 200 yards of the cabins, and my grandfather made some deal in the 50s that got the utility company to tap into it and run a line. They even drove out to check the meters for years, but now they just have us fill out the usage and mail it to them.

TomC

uppity neobarb
I always laugh when people say they can't get natural gas in rural areas. My family has a secluded ranch in the mountains (25 miles of dirt road from the nearest highway), 5 miles behind locked gates), and they even have natural gas to the cabins out there.

The main pipeline happened to pass within 200 yards of the cabins, and my grandfather made some deal in the 50s that got the utility company to tap into it and run a line. They even drove out to check the meters for years, but now they just have us fill out the usage and mail it to them.
nat gas is rare in most res areas here, why 90% heating is heat pump. I would have to live in the city in an neighborhood at least from the 70s if not 60s. Not common in homes here.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

Yea it's weird that I live in an upscale suburban neighborhood and one street will have gas and one or two houses away and you won't have it, same with my mom, the natural gas ends about 100ft from her house and PECO refuses to run it any further, if I want to use gas I have to use bottle propane, as it is right now I have 3 250# bottles, my neighbor has 4.... I hate it. When we remodel our house I'm going to have a 1000# tank buried in the yard and convert the entire house, as it stands, I've got oil heat, electric hot water, a propane stove and propane pool heater, that's the options.

I have looked into it a few times, I would never install "traditional" solar panels because they look like complete shit, the Tesla system looks like real shingles and has an incredible warranty, I am going to look into it a little more, I need a roof on my garage, which runs off a separate meter from my house, but the garage is the source of power for my shit pump, so, in a way in solves two problems for me, one is lowering my garage bill to probably 0$ and it would provide a back up power source for my shit pump so when I install a whole house propane back up generator I don't have to run another circuit to the garage

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
2 full billing cycles in and I've saved about $100 a month and
we haven't hit peak A/C usage yet. The real test will be the next
3 months where my normal bill is over $300 a month. My house is
never in shade all day so the units run constantly and only cycle
at night after the sun goes down.

NotSoFast

2 full billing cycles in and I've saved about $100 a month and
we haven't hit peak A/C usage yet. The real test will be the next
3 months where my normal bill is over $300 a month. My house is
never in shade all day so the units run constantly and only cycle
at night after the sun goes down.
Should have invested in insulation instead.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Should have invested in insulation instead.
I rebuilt the entire upstairs and you can't get any more insulation
in the house than I have. It's always been a hot house in the summer
due to the lack of shade. I have sun on the house constantly.

THE FEZ MAN

I keep tossing the tesla panel idea at my wife for the garage, i find it somewhat irritating that most of the tax incentives are gone now, oddly when a system comes out that is much more acceptable to me, and what I would assume is the rest of the public

5skin

I keep tossing the tesla panel idea at my wife for the garage, i find it somewhat irritating that most of the tax incentives are gone now, oddly when a system comes out that is much more acceptable to me, and what I would assume is the rest of the public
So you're telling me they once they're sustainable subsidizing ends?!

THE FEZ MAN

So you're telling me they once they're sustainable subsidizing ends?!
Once they are not hideous the tax breaks end.
I love to mention it, I live in a 100 year old house, a really cool craftsman stone home, in a really nice neighborhood you think I'm putting those hideous panels on my house they are out of their minds, the tesla roof in slate? I would do that in a heart beat

Once they are not hideous the tax breaks end.
I love to mention it, I live in a 100 year old house, a really cool craftsman stone home, in a really nice neighborhood you think I'm putting those hideous panels on my house they are out of their minds, the tesla roof in slate? I would do that in a heart beat
Yep that's the offset...the early adopters collected that sweet gubmint money to have ugly boxes bolted to their roofs. Meanwhile those that waited for the technology to mature can get seamless installations of efficient panels that match the decor.

THE FEZ MAN

A purpose built carport, in a sunny location, would be more gooder, IMO.
My garage has its own meter and the front gets sun almost all day, if I install the panels there I'm hoping to kill my garage electric bill and have back up power for my pump grinder

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
My garage has its own meter and the front gets sun almost all day, if I install the panels there I'm hoping to kill my garage electric bill and have back up power for my pump grinder
Anyway to maximize the potential sun exposure with some tree trimming?

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Still saving over $100 bucks a month.
Just got the current bills for the hottest month of the year
and I'm still saving some nice coin.