Solo Nightwing Movie Greenlit by Warner Bros.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
The news is a bit late, but I didn't see a thread for it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...twing-movie-lego-batman-movie-director-978737

Warner Bros. Plotting Live-Action 'Nightwing' Movie With 'Lego Batman Movie' Director
February 23, 2017 12:45pm PT by Rebecca Ford

Warner Bros. is plotting a new DC superhero film based on the Batman-centric character Nightwing.

Chris McKay, who most recently directed The Lego Batman Movie for Warner Bros., is in negotiations to helm the new live-action film, and Bill Dubuque (The Accountant) is writing the script.

Nightwing, aka Dick Grayson, is perhaps best known for being the original Robin. Grayson was the youngest member of a family of acrobats known as the Flying Graysons. He was created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger and illustrator Jerry Robinson, and first introduced in Detective Comics No. 38 in April 1940. After his parents were murdered, he was taken in as the legal ward of Bruce Wayne/Batman. He then became Robin and teamed up with the Dark Knight on many an adventure to fight crime in the city of Gotham.

Grayson famously shed his persona in the 1980s as the character aged up, and became the leader of the Teen Titans. (In the DC Universe, a succession of young men took on the mantle of Robin while Nightwing became a popular character in his own right, headlining his own comics and appearing in animated movies.)

McKay has already directed a film with Dick Grayson in it: The character appeared in Lego Batman, as Robin, and was voiced by Michael Cera. Nightwing will be his live-action feature film debut.

The character of Robin has yet to officially appear in the new Warner Bros. movies, although his graffiti-covered suit was shown in Batman v. Superman, and director Zack Snyder has said that at that point in time Robin had been killed by the Joker (there have been multiple Robins over the years in the comics, and Snyder did not say which one was killed by the Joker in his film, although it is likely Jason Todd if the film is aligning with the comics).

The Nightwing project joins Warner Bros.' growing DC Extended Universe as the studio focuses on mining some of DC's most beloved characters for new films (as an example, Gotham City Sirens, with David Ayer attached to direct, will focus on the female villains of the universe, including Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn). The next films to hit theaters include Wonder Woman starring Gal Gadot (June 2), the star-studded Justice League (Nov. 17) and Aquaman starring Jason Momoa (Oct. 5, 2018). A sequel to Suicide Squad, The Batman starring Ben Affleck, a Shazam film, a Flash film and a Cyborg project are also in the works.

McKay made his feature-film helming debut with hit animated superhero comedy The Lego Batman Movie, which has earned $182.4 million to date after hitting theaters on Feb. 21. He previously worked on The Lego Movie as an animation co-director, and has also directed three seasons of series Robot Chicken. McKay is repped by UTA, Rise Management and Morris Yorn.

Along with The Accountant (which starred current Batman Ben Affleck), Dubuque previously wrote The Judge and A Family Man. He is repped by CAA, Zero Gravity Management and Bloom Hergott.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/28/14761046/nightwing-dc-warner-bros-batman-chris-mckay

Nightwing director talks vision for live-action movie, how it differs from Batman
Sorry, sad Bruce Wayne
by Julia Alexander Feb 28, 2017, 9:30am EST

DC and Warner Bros. are pushing ahead with a Nightwing live-action movie, and director Chris McKay sat down with the Shanlian on Batman podcast team to talk about where he wants to take the character.

Nightwing — otherwise known as Dick Grayson, Batman’s former right-hand-man — Robin, debuted in January 1984 in Tales of the Teen Titans #44. Ten years later, the character got his first solo series, followed by a mini-series. Grayson has been the leader of the Teen Titans, a super-spy and the vigilante protector of Gotham’s neighboring city, Blüdhaven, and is renowned (this is neither a joke nor an exaggeration) for having “the best backside in comics.”

McKay said unlike Batman, Nightwing didn’t come from privilege and as a result, he’s not the same “dour and angry” hero as DC’s most iconic character. Instead, McKay continued, Nightwing came from a family of circus performers and as such, will maintain that type of exuberance while donning his superhero costume.

“He’s a fascinating guy to me, because he had all the same things happen to him,” McKay said. “He’s got some of the same negatives as Bruce Wayne and then from a society standpoint – obviously he was adopted into Bruce Wayne’s life … but he didn’t start that way. He’s this guy who has all these negatives and then even more negatives and yet he remains … Those are things why I like Dick Grayson, why I like the idea of Nightwing as a movie.”

Warner Bros. announced last week it was pushing ahead with a live-action Nightwing movie and McKay, best known for his work on The Lego Batman Movie, would direct. Nightwing will exist as part of the DC Extended Universe, which is currently populated by Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and Suicide Squad.

There is currently no estimated release window for the movie.

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
Is Nightwing going to be black?

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Is Nightwing going to be black?
Want to pretend he is because you need a reason to be angry today?

HE'S GAY TOOOOOOO. OH MY GOD THR POLLITIKAL CURRECTNESS.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/28/14761046/nightwing-dc-warner-bros-batman-chris-mckay

Nightwing director talks vision for live-action movie, how it differs from Batman
Sorry, sad Bruce Wayne
by Julia Alexander Feb 28, 2017, 9:30am EST

DC and Warner Bros. are pushing ahead with a Nightwing live-action movie, and director Chris McKay sat down with the Shanlian on Batman podcast team to talk about where he wants to take the character.

Nightwing — otherwise known as Dick Grayson, Batman’s former right-hand-man — Robin, debuted in January 1984 in Tales of the Teen Titans #44. Ten years later, the character got his first solo series, followed by a mini-series. Grayson has been the leader of the Teen Titans, a super-spy and the vigilante protector of Gotham’s neighboring city, Blüdhaven, and is renowned (this is neither a joke nor an exaggeration) for having “the best backside in comics.”

McKay said unlike Batman, Nightwing didn’t come from privilege and as a result, he’s not the same “dour and angry” hero as DC’s most iconic character. Instead, McKay continued, Nightwing came from a family of circus performers and as such, will maintain that type of exuberance while donning his superhero costume.

“He’s a fascinating guy to me, because he had all the same things happen to him,” McKay said. “He’s got some of the same negatives as Bruce Wayne and then from a society standpoint – obviously he was adopted into Bruce Wayne’s life … but he didn’t start that way. He’s this guy who has all these negatives and then even more negatives and yet he remains … Those are things why I like Dick Grayson, why I like the idea of Nightwing as a movie.”

Warner Bros. announced last week it was pushing ahead with a live-action Nightwing movie and McKay, best known for his work on The Lego Batman Movie, would direct. Nightwing will exist as part of the DC Extended Universe, which is currently populated by Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and Suicide Squad.

There is currently no estimated release window for the movie.
Snyder saw the word exuberance and added five more guns to the Batmobile.

HandPanzer

Vergangenheitsbewältigung
May 30, 2013
Want to pretend he is because you need a reason to be angry today?

HE'S GAY TOOOOOOO. OH MY GOD THR POLLITIKAL CURRECTNESS.
In moonlight Nightwing look blue.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Semi-random idea: Dasani-Dude. He can only survive inside the bottle he was born in. If you break the seal, he'll die. He's not a very good superhero.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
Was Joseph Gordon-Levitt ever considered? Or would he bow out in deference to Nolan?