Some schools drop federal healthy lunch program

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
School lunch: Some schools drop federal healthy lunch program

School lunch: Complaints from kids about portion size and taste of federally approved lunch offerings are causing some schools to abandoned the federal healthy lunch program.

By Carolyn Thompson, Associated Press / August 28, 2013

School lunch: Students are given healthy choices on a lunch line at Draper Middle School in Rotterdam, N.Y., Sept. 11, 2012. After just one year, some schools across the nation are dropping out of what was touted as a healthier federal lunch program, complaining that so many students refused the meals packed with whole grains, fruits and vegetables that their cafeterias were losing money.

After just one year, some schools around the country are dropping out of the healthier new federal lunch program, complaining that so many students turned up their noses at meals packed with whole grains, fruits, and vegetables that the cafeterias were losing money.

Federal officials say they don't have exact numbers but have seen isolated reports of schools cutting ties with the $11 billion National School Lunch Program, which reimburses schools for meals served and gives them access to lower-priced food.

Districts that rejected the program say the reimbursement was not enough to offset losses from students who began avoiding the lunch line and bringing food from home or, in some cases, going hungry.

"Some of the stuff we had to offer, they wouldn't eat," said Catlin, Ill., Superintendent Gary Lewis, whose district saw a 10 to 12 percent drop in lunch sales, translating to $30,000 lost under the program last year.

"So you sit there and watch the kids, and you know they're hungry at the end of the day, and that led to some behavior and some lack of attentiveness."

In upstate New York, a few districts have quit the program, including the Schenectady-area Burnt Hills Ballston Lake system, whose five lunchrooms ended the year $100,000 in the red.

Near Albany, Voorheesville Superintendent Teresa Thayer Snyder said her district lost $30,000 in the first three months. The program didn't even make it through the school year after students repeatedly complained about the small portions and apples and pears went from the tray to the trash untouched.

Districts that leave the program are free to develop their own guidelines. Voorheesville's chef began serving such dishes as salad topped with flank steak and crumbled cheese, pasta with chicken and mushrooms, and a panini with chicken, red peppers and cheese.

In Catlin, soups and fish sticks will return to the menu this year, and the hamburger lunch will come with yogurt and a banana — not one or the other, like last year.

Nationally, about 31 million students participated in the guidelines that took effect last fall under the 2010 Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act.

Dr. Janey Thornton, deputy undersecretary for USDA's Food, Nutrition and Consumer Services, which oversees the program, said she is aware of reports of districts quitting but is still optimistic about the program's long-term prospects.
http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Cultur...me-schools-drop-federal-healthy-lunch-program

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
My wife works at the school, and they throw away a fuckton of food, it's just shit. Everything is low fat, whole wheat, and no salt.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
An organization losing money because of a federal program.

I just don't believe it.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
My wife works at the school, and they throw away a fuckton of food, it's just shit. Everything is low fat, whole wheat, and no salt.
For once I mean it when I say "wont anyone think of the children?"

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Nanny Government Fail.

They went overboard in what they are trying to force
kids to eat so the kids just won't eat it.

Dicktator

I need a Vacation
Feb 11, 2006
Michigan
We send our kids with a packed lunch. They were coming home hungry everyday last year. It's not healthier if no one eats it.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
An Obama program that has the exact opposite effect of what was intended? Where have we heard this before?

Georgie

Jul 10, 2013
The problem isn't the food. I ate shit as a kid and I'm neither unhealthy or fat and I wasn't as a child. The problem is kids lead the same seditary lifestyle as most adults these days. When I was young me and my friend ran around the neighborhood playing games and riding bikes. Now kids waddle to the PS3.

Instead of spending billions on reforming lunch use that money to bring back PE and sports. In my state many school district are actually charging parents upwards of 150 dollars to allow their kids into after school programs! Needless to say it caused participation to drop.

Oh and parents. Kick your kids out of the house! Rule was when I got home from school I did my homework to completion and was then sent out the door to play until dinner was ready. After that I could go back out or play some NES. Usually I was scarfing down dinner as fast as possible so I could go back out with my friends.

But then again I grew up to be a knob gobbler so take what I say for what its worth. :p

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
The problem isn't the food. I ate shit as a kid and I'm neither unhealthy or fat and I wasn't as a child. The problem is kids lead the same seditary lifestyle as most adults these days. When I was young me and my friend ran around the neighborhood playing games and riding bikes. Now kids waddle to the PS3.

Instead of spending billions on reforming lunch use that money to bring back PE and sports. In my state many school district are actually charging parents upwards of 150 dollars to allow their kids into after school programs! Needless to say it caused participation to drop.

Oh and parents. Kick your kids out of the house! Rule was when I got home from school I did my homework to completion and was then sent out the door to play until dinner was ready. After that I could go back out or play some NES. Usually I was scarfing down dinner as fast as possible so I could go back out with my friends.

But then again I grew up to be a knob gobbler so take what I say for what its worth. :p
A great example of a cautionary tale for all you parents. Go out and get your kids as many video games as they want. :action-sm

Georgie

Jul 10, 2013
A great example of a cautionary tale for all you parents. Go out and get your kids as many video games as they want. :action-sm
Have you seen the games children play these days. Animal Crossings, LittleBigPlanet, Skylanders. They are doomed to slide down the fleshy fire pole either way. ;)

Foggy

I'm wasting my life here
Donator
Dec 18, 2012
Straya cunt
If anyone ate the 'healthy choices' at a high school cafeteria, they'd get the shit kicked out of them for being faggots. A pear-eater is a mark.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine

But parents won't let kids outdoors unless they are supervised... have a GPS tag on them etc... etc.. etc...

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
The little tubs of lard should be running for their lives, every waking moment.

They should be living in a Hunger Games styled environment.

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
Aug 30, 2005
woodland critter christmas park nj
and NONE of that is healthier for you. low fat is dog shit as animal fats are good for you, especially for the brain. whole wheat isn't easily digestible by the human body. the human body needs salt, that's basic biology.
do these assholes have any idea how many delicious healthy foods actually exist or are they too busy reading up on fad diets that don't work?

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
and NONE of that is healthier for you. low fat is dog shit as animal fats are good for you, especially for the brain. whole wheat isn't easily digestible by the human body. the human body needs salt, that's basic biology.
do these assholes have any idea how many delicious healthy foods actually exist or are they too busy reading up on fad diets that don't work?
That is what Jamie Oliver has been doing in the UK... and I think he tried it here... with mixed results.

I rarely ate at the cafeteria... as back in the day you used to be able to leave campus. And I would walk the 15 minutes home and make my lunch... note we did have like a one hour lunch though.

The high school teacher who boarded here said basically the kids were in the school the whole day and not allowed to leave... guess due to liability or whatever.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
If anyone ate the 'healthy choices' at a high school cafeteria, they'd get the shit kicked out of them for being faggots. A pear-eater is a mark.
I don't know. A halved pear kind of looks like a vagina so I would imagine that's what the cool kids are eating. I'd stay away from bananas and cucumbers. And warning. Don't just google Pear Vagina. The Pear of Anguish does not sound fun. :confused:

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
That's not entirely true. Sure, you need SOME animal fat but fried chicken isn't healthy. And that's what kids would prefer to a grilled chicken breast. And do you think refined flour is any better? So it's a choice between diabetes and what then?

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
Aug 30, 2005
woodland critter christmas park nj
That's not entirely true. Sure, you need SOME animal fat but fried chicken isn't healthy. And that's what kids would prefer to a grilled chicken breast. And do you think refined flour is any better? So it's a choice between diabetes and what then?
refined flour is shit. also, the unhealthy far from fried chicken comes from the oil it's fried in. but i guess you also didn't read where i said that animal fats are good for you. i know, reading is a very complicated thing to do.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
refined flour is shit. also, the unhealthy far from fried chicken comes from the oil it's fried in. but i guess you also didn't read where i said that animal fats are good for you. i know, reading is a very complicated thing to do.
You're saying vegetable oil is worse for you than the skin on fried chicken? I was referring to the skin. Maybe it's you who needs to brush up on your comprehension.