Someone explain the whole "gag order" situation for me, please...

Zillax0rz

Fagor, King of Fags, Ruler of Fagonia
I didn't jump on the bandwagon until about 2005, so I know nothing about the 'ol days broadcasting with Hoo-hoo. I always hear them reference the gag order, but I'd like to know the whole story, if possible. What was it actually, how long did it last, any significant events over it, etc. I was listening to the Homeless Shopping Spree today and at one point, Op referred them to being dumped out of some Howie discussion. I assumed that was related?

Thanks for the info.

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
more like corporate lawyers, contracts, Howard Stern and $$$

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Get on your knees and open.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Howard felt threatened by anyone who was getting a good audience.
He went crying to the network and they didn't allow O&A to mention
his name (even a veiled reference to it).

After they were taken off the air in 02, the network tried to get them
to agree to be released from their contract if O&A agreed to NEVER mention
any of the network's people including Howard. That's a forever, never.

The boys said no and so they sat out the 2 years waiting for the contract
to expire (along with the no-compete clause) so that they were free to
discuss whatever they pleased.

click

Do you wanna go back to when OnA first came to NY when they were on new? and Howie was on krot?

click

They're posters here who know way more about this than i do.
OnA got popular fast and Howie had a huge problem with it. They
worked for the same company and Howie did try try to gag them
at the company level. he was pretty successful actually.
abercrombie and fitch midget still cracks me up

Lil' Alex

Ohh man they used to bust on Howard like a little bitch. I was an everyday listener of Stern back then even though he had gone stale long before but when he refused to man I lost all respect for him. I loved when Anthony would go, "Someone get me a seabreeze. . . what, I'm thirsty, I'm not starting anything!"

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Ohh man they used to bust on Howard like a little bitch. I was an everyday listener of Stern back then even though he had gone stale long before but when he refused to man I lost all respect for him. I loved when Anthony would go, "Someone get me a seabreeze. . . what, I'm thirsty, I'm not starting anything!"
he he he.:clap:

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
In the early days of the gag order, they would refer to Hoo-Hoo as "Radio Edit" but eventually he cried about this too because everyone knew that it meant him.

What it really boils down to is this:

Howard supposedly would take on anyone - on the air, face to face, directly, like a man. He dealt with DeBella, and countless others over the years this way. But. this wasn't the case with O&A. He wouldn't address/confront them publicly. It was all done behind the scenes - via crying to Mel.

NorfCal

S.H.A.D.O.
In the early days of the gag order, they would refer to Hoo-Hoo as "Radio Edit" but eventually he cried about this too because everyone knew that it meant him.

Howard supposedly would take on anyone - on the air, face to face, directly, like a man. He dealt with DeBella, and countless others over the years this way. But. this wasn't the case with O&A. He wouldn't address/confront them publicly. It was all done behind the scenes - via crying to Mel.
Boo HOO HOO!

HamptonsHowie

"I Invented Satelitte Radio Robin"
I remember Anthony saying once that they were called into daddy Mel's office and were asked "What are you going to do today to fuck up my day" Classic line

IsThatATrain ?

Some things look better with a few dents in them.
*Radio Edit* Sucks Santa's Hairy Ballsack.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
I remember Anthony saying once that they were called into daddy Mel's office and were asked "What are you going to do today to fuck up my day" Classic line
Wow. Not even close. :icon_roll

Ronreddog

Unofficial O&A Twitter Tough Guy

Quoted for truth!

I remember hearing the "radio edit" blurb they used to use, it was funny, but, the whole thing was a bunch of bullshit. When O&A started on NEW, they had nothing but praise for that fuck, saying he made it possible for them to do what they do on the radio. What does he do, I CAN'T HAVE THEM MENTIONING MY NAME ON THE AIR! Fucking tool!

I might add, that I NEVER thought of O&A as a ripoff of fucking hoohoo, I was a hoohoo listener back in like 1989. O&A do a very distinct show, and that makes them who they are today, ENTERTAINING RADIO HOSTS!

Shitdeek

Hi, my name is HamptonsHowie and I love fucking up quotes.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Yeah they used to poke fun at Howie. Much like that always did with Imus. Imus got it, was fine with it, and eventually joined in and now O&A and Imus are very tight. Howie, on the other hand, couldn't take it and wouldn't put any effort in to fighting back. So he ran to Mel and had a gag order put, not only on O&A, but all shows under the Infinity flag. In fact, in the midst of fighting with O&A, even Don and Mike conceded that there was a gag order and them and O&A were under it.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
The bottom line is that Howie finally found someone he couldn't bully and defeat on the air, so he had to resort to run to daddy and have him silence the boys. Funny that someone that championed themselves as fighter for free speech, would censor someone else.

Dre

(Insert Witty Line Here)
The gag order was pretty much Hoo Hoo's way of getting O&A to stop talking about him and joking around about it, but it was a pussy way of doing it, in which he got lawyers and Mel Karmazin involved, and if they did mention him, they'd be dumped out of, taken of the air, and maybe fired.

But, that time is over, so screw him,
HOWARD STERN HOWARD STERN HOWARD STERN HOWARD STERN!!!

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Quoted for truth!

I remember hearing the "radio edit" blurb they used to use, it was funny, but, the whole thing was a bunch of bullshit. When O&A started on NEW, they had nothing but praise for that fuck, saying he made it possible for them to do what they do on the radio. What does he do, I CAN'T HAVE THEM MENTIONING MY NAME ON THE AIR! Fucking tool!
Quoted again for truth!

Not only did they have praise for him, they went to bat for him when other people shit on him! This isn't the story I hear from the Stern fans, though. They always say O&A came into New York and immediately proceeded to bash him, so they deserved Howard's wrath.

I hope they still plan on writing a book.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
I used to have a clip of Ant trying to run out the dump by just saying "howard Stern" really fast and repetetive-like, until "Ain't Talking Bout Love" kicked in....though I honestly can't remember where or how I got it. I'm guessing, since it was 'against the rules', it wasn't something that was ever played on a replay. Anyone got that clip?

Top Bottom