Sony and MS working on Blu-Ray for 360

Slayback

The Host has removed you from the game.
Nov 13, 2006
Fucking Texas
www.Gamespot.com said:
Report: Sony, Microsoft discussing 360 Blu-ray drive
The Financial Times reports rivals are talking about adding high-def technology to formerly HD DVD-aligned console; Microsoft denies anything official, Sony says it's open to the possibility.
By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot
Posted Mar 6, 2008 1:52 pm PT
Following its brief campaign to support the doomed HD DVD format, Microsoft has now apparently entered into talks with Sony to bring Blu-ray disc technology to the Xbox 360. That once-unthinkable scenario was outlined today in a report in the British economic daily the Financial Times, two months after Xbox group marketing manager Albert Penello reopened the door to the possibility.

"It should be consumer choice; and if that's the way they vote, that's something we'll have to consider," Penello told the Reuters news service during the 2008 Consumer Electronics Show in January. Since then, though, decisions by retail giants Wal-Mart and Best Buy as well as online rental house Netflix made up the public's mind for it, causing Toshiba to finally abandon HD DVD production last month.

Citing an unnamed "senior executive," the Financial Times said that Sony and Microsoft are not simply discussing a successor to the Xbox 360's now discontinued, dirt-cheap external HD DVD drive. The newspaper said that there is also the possibility of an internal Blu-ray drive being incorporated into a new, more expensive "premium" 360 model, as it is already in the PlayStation 3. Thusly, Sony would earn royalties from sales of a rival console--a first for the game industry.

For its part, Microsoft quickly denied any move toward Blu-ray had been officially made. "We have made no such announcement," a rep told GameSpot. "Games are what are driving consumers to purchase game consoles, and we remain focused on providing the largest library of blockbuster games available."

For its part, Sony welcomes the possibility of a Blu-ray-equipped Xbox 360. "If Microsoft wants to release Gears of War 3 on a Blu-ray Disc, I think we can make that happen," Sony Computer Entertainment America's vice president of product marketing Scott A. Steinberg told GameSpot prior to today's report.

While Steinberg's comments were merely hypothetical, they were echoed by another SCEA rep today--who declined to confirm nor deny the Times report. "While of course we are excited that the Blu-ray won the format war and knew that our decision to include Blu-ray in PS3 would pay off, the Blu-ray format is an initiative developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association," said the rep, referring to the body governing the BD format. While led by Sony, the BDA is made up of nine companies: Sony, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG, Hitachi, Sharp, Samsung, and Panasonic parent company Matsushita.
That's HUGE for Sony.

lilherojimmy

Apr 12, 2007
Two things:

1) You will not see an internal Blu-ray drive in this generation of Xbox. It'll be in the next one, though.

2)Sony and Microsoft don't hate each other like Xbox360 and PS3 fanboys, so this is no surprise. It's all about the $$$. Just look at the announcements today at the Apple town hall meeting. Coming soon on your Iphone, microsoft apps.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
It's not like MS had much of a choice....

kidohio

Jan 15, 2005
Ohio
well xbox didnt have much of a choice in the matter seeing how HD failed.

LetsDoThisLucas

Suck Me!...CBS
Feb 16, 2005
BK, NY...bitch
2)Sony and Microsoft don't hate each other like Xbox360 and PS3 fanboys, so this is no surprise. It's all about the $$$. Just look at the announcements today at the Apple town hall meeting. Coming soon on your Iphone, microsoft apps.
QFT

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
Two things:

1) You will not see an internal Blu-ray drive in this generation of Xbox. It'll be in the next one, though.
Agreed. The best you can expect to see with this generation of Xbox is MAYBE a Blu-Ray drive attachment, like the 360 has for HD-DVD. As far as games using Blu-Ray tech, that's going to be solely on the PS3 for now, I think.

Shaggz

Slaying Zombies
Jan 26, 2005
Kentucky
For its part, Microsoft quickly denied any move toward Blu-ray had been officially made. "We have made no such announcement," a rep told GameSpot. "Games are what are driving consumers to purchase game consoles, and we remain focused on providing the largest library of blockbuster games available."
Now that's what I want from a gaming company, good games. I don't need to get caught up in a stupid dvd war. Give me great games and I'm happy.

Slayback

Nov 13, 2006
Fucking Texas
Agreed. The best you can expect to see with this generation of Xbox is MAYBE a Blu-Ray drive attachment, like the 360 has for HD-DVD. As far as games using Blu-Ray tech, that's going to be solely on the PS3 for now, I think.
I don't think you'll see a 360 with internal Blu-Ray either. I doubt MS will even offer Blu-Ray gaming on 360. I wouldn't be suprised if we start hearing about the next Xbox during the 2009 E3.

RabidHamster

It makes you fez.
Dec 4, 2005
Roanoke
I don't think it will happen. MS wants you to watch high-def movies on the Xbox, but they want you to get them from MS via download from the market place, that way they get their cut.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I don't think it will happen. MS wants you to watch high-def movies on the Xbox, but they want you to get them from MS via download from the market place, that way they get their cut.
Yeah, because they didn't release an HD-DVD player for the 360 when everyone thought HD-DVD was going to win. :icon_roll

Slayback

Nov 13, 2006
Fucking Texas
Yeah, because they didn't release an HD-DVD player for the 360 when everyone thought HD-DVD was going to win. :icon_roll
I think this had more to do with them trying to de-rail Sony and Blu-Ray. Microsoft's main goal is digital distribution.

NightStalker3

a complete moron that posts
Oct 4, 2004
Rumor is EA is also working on BLU-RAY for their new sports gaming console.

Source

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
Aug 24, 2007
KY
Xbox360fanboy is as reliable as the hardware behind it. This rumor has officially been RRoD'd. Next.