Sony gaining steam in Japan; Wii slowing down

buya97

Official Virus Spreader of Little Falls, NJ
Nov 25, 2004
Jersey
TOKYO (Reuters) - Nintendo Co Ltd's video game console Wii outsold Sony Corp's PlayStation 3 by a ratio of three to one in Japan in August, but Nintendo's overwhelming lead in the market narrowed for the second consecutive month.

Nintendo sold 245,653 units of the Wii in the four weeks ending August 26, compared with 81,541 units of Sony's PS3, game magazine publisher Enterbrain said. The ratio was more than four to one in favour of the Wii in July and six to one in June.

Sony's PS3, packed with cutting-edge technology such as a Blu-ray high-definition DVD player, has been trailing the Wii in sales since the consoles were introduced late last year, due to the PS3's high price and a scarcity of strong game titles.

But the Tokyo-based electronics and entertainment conglomerate plans to launch a wide range of new games towards the critical year-end shopping season, including the latest installment of its popular in-house racing game "Gran Turismo".

"Gran Turismo 5", one of the most eagerly awaited titles for the PS3, is set to go on sale in October, in a bid to ignite PS3 demand among devoted game fans.

Microsoft Corp, locked in battle with Nintendo and Sony over dominance in the $30 billion (15 billion pound) global video game industry, sold 11,288 units of its Xbox 360 in August, Enterbrain said.

Shares in Sony closed up 0.4 percent at 5,600 yen, while Nintendo fell 1.7 percent to 52,800 yen. The Nikkei average was down 0.27 percent.
Looks to be getting closer and closer for Nintendo and Sony, Microsoft just can't get things going in Japan (they still think America build = piece of junk)

MetalSign

O&A Curmudgeon
Dec 22, 2002
Orlando, FL
This was bound to happen eventually. Closer and closer. PS3 will keep pecking away at them.

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
Could a big reason why PS3 sales have gone up because of the recent price drop? Alot more people are scooping up the 60GB version for $500 before they're gone and all that's left is the $600 80GB version.
Another plus could be the anticipated MSG4 that was coming out in November. Only to end up being held up til March. So that means the PS3 might be doing well this Christmas.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
It's kind of numbercrafting but it's still nice for Sony.

The popularity of the Wii is fairly consistently high so it'll change trends slowly while the PS3 has spikes and ebbs. Ultimately this is unimportant from a corporate standpoint as the Wii is making more money for Nintendo than the PS3 is for Sony.

There aren't many games for the PS3 or the 360 that interest Japanese gamers. Hot Shots Golf is huge over there and it explains this spike. For the 360 to take off it needs to abandon its image as overpriced junk with few games worth buying (from a Japanese perspective). For the PS3, they just need to work on getting good games on it.

With the way things are going, the PS3 will be bigger than the 360 in every country but America and Canada.

KakTheInfected

Mar 10, 2005
It's been speculated that Wiis meant for Japan were sent to the US to coincide with the launch of Prime 3. Whether or not that's true, we'll have to wait until the middle of this month or so to see.

I wonder how much the gap will widen again when Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros. is released though. Until MGS4 is out, Sony won't be able to catch a break in Japan.

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
Well, all the talk about giving the PS3 a DVR capability is a good thing in general. If and when that capablity comes out that will sure help boost sales. Giving it that function among others may help convince someone its worth getting even with the high price. Plus all the fun things I've been hearing about Home for the PS3..I wouldn't count out PS3 yet. Safe bet would be a nice rise in sales for Christmas and next year will be the year for the PS3.
As for the Wii, Nintendo did almost everything right. They came out with a relatively inexpensive system(compared to PS3 & XBox 360) with an inovative new way to play games. Actually the innovation is to combat against PS3's and 360's supeior graphics and other capabilities.
The only thing they did wrong was the limited game selection at launch and what's out right now. That will change in the next year to keep the Wii competitive against the other two systems. Especially with the new Mario being planned.
Microsoft is throwing around money to make games either XBox exclusive(like Ace Combat 6 & World In Conflict which will be for the PC also) or making companies make exclusive material for games that are on Xbox(like GTA4).

FredThe4thMic

Censorship goes Cumsies
Feb 11, 2007
Because most japs have 'em.
And there's one good game out.
Just wait till december.

ZeoVGM

I am awesome. You are not.
Jun 11, 2004
Bridgewater, MA
Holy shit. lmao.

This is one of the worst spins ever.

Wii isn't slowing down. PS3 isn't really gaining either. It had a nice boost thanks to Hot Shots and it's gone down every week since.

This thread blatantly lies.

(they still think America build = piece of junk)
And this is what we call "blatant American ignorance".

That's something people say that isn't true. The iPod is fucking HUGE in Japan. Xbox bombing has nothing to do with being American. It has everything to do with there being next to no games that relate to the Japanese market. (Until recently, but it's a bit too late and not a lot.)

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
Nothing worse then sony fans that try to grab any straw they can.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
The 360 is a piece of shit (on my third one) but it has the better games right now.

Make some games that people want to play (PS3) and they will start moving units.

BusyChild04

I gotta return some video tapes.
Apr 28, 2005
Texas
I'm just sticking to my 360. I just put my stupid wii up for sale. What a waste of money it was. I don't think I'll ever pick up the ps3 unless there's a huge wave of amazing games and a bigger price drop.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
All I know is Wii's are finally readily available and easy to find. I might buy one but I don't know if I need another distraction in life.

ZeoVGM

Jun 11, 2004
Bridgewater, MA
I'm just sticking to my 360. I just put my stupid wii up for sale. What a waste of money it was.
One of the most dumb things people can do is buy a system during it's first year, then sell it saying it was a "waste of money".

The first year of a system is ALWAYS slow. PS2 had next to nothing until the following fall after launch (GTA, MGS). It had a couple big ones like SSX and Onimusha of course, but Wii has also had Paper Mario, Zelda, and now the AMAZING Prime 3.

Much like PS2 got GTA and MGS a year later, Wii is getting Mario and Smash Bros.

All I know is Wii's are finally readily available and easy to find. I might buy one but I don't know if I need another distraction in life.
It depends on the area. Here in Mass, they're still hard to find. Places get them once a week and really, if you want one, you can find one. But I've NEVER seen one in person at a Wal-Mart yet. The only place I've seen them is at GameStop, and it's maybe 4 or 5 at a time and they sell out in a couple hours.

But if you want to get it, get it now. Becasue that 'being somewhat available' thing is about to stop being true as the holiday season comes up.

The 360 is a piece of shit (on my third one) but it has the better games right now.
I'm on my third one too, but I can't be that mad because it's currently the best system out. It's awesome.

KakTheInfected

Mar 10, 2005
And the PS3 costs $600. The first year dry spell shouldn't apply to something that expensive.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
And the PS3 costs $600. The first year dry spell shouldn't apply to something that expensive.
500$ first of all. Only 100$ more than the "real" 360.

The worldwide sell-rate is below expectations but not altogether different than the 360s. Things would be different if the 360 actually sold well in Japan... then agains things would be different if the PS3 sold better in America.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
I'd rather eat ****** box. You think they're hygienic?

ZeoVGM

Jun 11, 2004
Bridgewater, MA
That never stopped anyone here from shitting on the PS3
Except the PS3 is shit on for a wide range of things including being overly expensive, Sony acting pretentious, and even a year later, the big games aren't coming. Gears of War was on 360 a year later. Wii gets Smash Bros and Mario a year later. PS3 gets.. uh.. Uncharted.

500$ first of all. Only 100$ more than the "real" 360.
:haha7:

Oh man, the spinning is hilarious.

No, PS3 has ALWAYS been $500 and $600. Don't try and spin it that way. Either way, it's too expensive and the general public agrees.

As for only $100 more than the real 360, what are you talking about?

It's $350 now for the "real" one and if you're going to count being able to get PS3 for $500, then you could get 360 for $300. Stop.

The worldwide sell-rate is below expectations but not altogether different than the 360s. Things would be different if the 360 actually sold well in Japan... then agains things would be different if the PS3 sold better in America.
Uh, except PS3 isn't selling well in America OR Japan. And 360 is selling well in one of them.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Except the PS3 is shit on for a wide range of things including being overly expensive, Sony acting pretentious, and even a year later, the big games aren't coming. Gears of War was on 360 a year later. Wii gets Smash Bros and Mario a year later. PS3 gets.. uh.. Uncharted.
Heavenly Sword, Haze, and Ratchet & Clank are all huge titles with a lot of expectations.

As for only $100 more than the real 360, what are you talking about?
Whenever I've seen reference to the 360 being limited by not having a hard drive the usual cry from 360 owners is the base model isn't a "real" 360 and shouldn't matter. The 20GB and the 60GB were always comparable as the differences between them were slight and mostly superficial.

It's $350 now for the "real" one and if you're going to count being able to get PS3 for $500, then you could get 360 for $300.
For almost the entirety of the first year the 360 was at 400$ for the full package while the PS3 had the $500 model (which admittedly wasn't around for several months due to the 20GB being discontinued). Counting the price that just came out a few weeks back and laying it out for the entirety of the year of which the bashing critique is based is just such horrible spin on your part.

Uh, except PS3 isn't selling well in America OR Japan. And 360 is selling well in one of them.
The PS3 is selling slowly in Japan but so many times more than the 360 it's embarassing. If the PS3 was selling as badly in America as the 360 is oing in Japan then Kaz would have thrown himself out of a window.

I'm not the one spinning. In fact I'll reference you to post #4. It involves reading though.

You're the one using really faulty logic though.

KakTheInfected

Mar 10, 2005
Is Bogey *really* trying to compare Heavenly Sword and Haze to the Wii and 360 games coming this fall?