Sony: sign agreement or your banned

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Not really surprised by this, just a huge corporation being a huge corporation. Maybe Lulzsec will come together again for a final salvo.

What I find really amusing is that with my crappy wireless router I cant get into the PSN in any way shape or form but the game and system updates come through clear as a bell.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Every TOS and EULA bury consumers in bullshit so they know that NO ONE will read it. Its such a shitty move.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
It's an agreement that will prevent some lawsuits. What's the problem?

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Every TOS and EULA bury consumers in bullshit so they know that NO ONE will read it. Its such a shitty move.
You don't have to read it. The article explains what it's for in a sentence.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I don't really see the problem with this. Your case can still be arbitrated, what this does is prevents costly class action lawsuits, from which only lawyers benefit. I get emails and letters pretty often saying I was involved in a class action lawsuit, from which the lawyers made millions and I get 17 free text messages a month through Verizon, or a free DVD from Columbia House.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
You don't have to read it. The article explains what it's for in a sentence.
And I didnt read it. Nor do I read any other one that is out there with every other system update. This article explained one facet of this TOS but think of all the other nonsense that is sprinkled into the ones that dont cause fauxrage and commotion amongst the internet crowd.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
The reason for corporate bureaucracy is not evil businesses trying to confuse their customers. These agreements are written by lawyers, not marketing departments or business managers. Corporate lawyers aren't trying to make money or deceive you into buying anything, their only job is to prevent lawsuits.

Get your reps to stop passing thousand page bills every other week, and start removing laws and regulations from the books instead, and you won't have to deal with the corporate lawyers who's only purpose in life is to protect their employers from an out of control legal system

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
And I didnt read it. Nor do I read any other one that is out there with every other system update. This article explained one facet of this TOS but think of all the other nonsense that is sprinkled into the ones that dont cause fauxrage and commotion amongst the internet crowd.
The American legal system, especially the business regulatory environment, is too complex for the average person to understand. There's nothing a corporation can do to change that. They can't snap their fingers and make it all easy to explain and understand.

All they can do is let their lawyers write these long TOSs, and hope people sign without knowing what's in them. Or they could get rid of lawyers, get sued for everything, and go bankrupt. Would that be better?

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
So happy I went with an Xbox.

Aside from BluRay my PS3 is only used to play PS exclusive games and I honestly can't remember the last time I played one, maybe Uncharted II last year I haven't even tried the free games I downloaded after the PSN was hacked. I'm getting the new House of the Dead when it comes out for the PS3 & Move and I'll buy Uncharted III used someday

Dec 12, 2007
So sony gets hacked, people sue them for not having better security and now they make it illegal to sue them for them being stupid in the first place? Assholes.

Dec 12, 2007
Aside from BluRay my PS3 is only used to play PS exclusive games and I honestly can't remember the last time I played one, maybe Uncharted II last year I haven't even tried the free games I downloaded after the PSN was hacked. I'm getting the new House of the Dead when it comes out for the PS3 & Move and I'll buy Uncharted III used someday
I just use mine for exclusives (uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games now, played it for the first time 2 months ago) since I dont own any blue rays. I use my xbox for everything else since I don't like the controller and xbox live just runs better. I know its 50 bucks a year but the money gets you a smoother service and no "failure to load" screens.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
All they can do is let their lawyers write these long TOSs, and hope people sign without knowing what's in them. Or they could get rid of lawyers, get sued for everything, and go bankrupt. Would that be better?
Or they can have a huge security breach, leak millions and millions of peoples user info, and then ban people filing suit because of their leaked info through an update. Makes sense.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
It doesn't bother me. Any serious damages caused by Sony's mistake would still end up in court if the lawyer is worth a damn. All he would have to do is argue that Sony coerces people into agreeing to their TOS that includes this "no sue" clause because they don't advertise their TOS. They sell you an expensive unit and expensive games while advertising free online play then after you make those expensive purchases and set it up and start the game THEN they hit you with that TOS essentially forcing you to agree to those terms to get what you've paid a significant amount of money for.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
It doesn't bother me. Any serious damages caused by Sony's mistake would still end up in court if the lawyer is worth a damn. All he would have to do is argue that Sony coerces people into agreeing to their TOS that includes this "no sue" clause because they don't advertise their TOS. They sell you an expensive unit and expensive games while advertising free online play then after you make those expensive purchases and set it up and start the game THEN they hit you with that TOS essentially forcing you to agree to those terms to get what you've paid a significant amount of money for.
But the only way to avoid that would be to put the TOS on the box, and that would just be silly. To pull an end around to cover possible further security issues is just shady.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I don't see the big deal... Were any of you planning on suing Sony over Anonymous's bullshit anyway?