Sony SmartWatch

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
http://www.pcworld.com/article/253683/sonys_smartwatch_brings_android_to_the_wrist.html

Sony's SmartWatch Brings Android to the Wrist

By Jeff Bertolucci, PCWorld Apr 12, 2012 2:48 PM
Android isn't just for smartphones and tablets anymore. Sony has unveiled its new SmartWatch, an Android-powered timekeeper that brings smartphone-like capabilities to the wristwatch.
Priced at $150, the Bluetooth-enabled SmartWatch retrieves text messages, emails, and Facebook and Twitter updates from most Android (2.1 and above) smartphones, Sony says.
The primary benefit of the SmartWatch is being able to access smartphone information without having to remove the phone from a pocket or bag.
Measuring 0.3 inches thick and featuring a 1.3-inch OLED touchscreen, the square-shaped SmartWatch resembles Apple's 6<sup>th</sup>-generation iPad Nano, which can also function as a watch--albeit one that's large and a bit clumsy to operate, at least in my experience.
The SmartWatch vibrates and posts screen alerts to notify you of new events. It comes with a black rubber wristband; additional wristbands are available in five colors at $20 each. The watch also has a rear-mounted clip for attaching the device to a belt or clothing.

Sony says the SmartWatch is compatible with Android apps for music, social updates, and workouts that are compatible with the device's 1.3-inch touchscreen, such as TicTacToe, and Sony's own music player. The company hopes developers will write more SmartWatch-specific apps.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I'm a watch person, and by that I mean little mechanical devices with sprockets and dials, not a wrist Droid. I could still see other people using something like that.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Dick Tracy did it already.

I'm also a watch person. When I can't find my watch when I go out, I feel weird not wearing one. If I wanted a super fancy watch, it would need to be a weapon. Classy. Bond style.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Dick Tracy did it already.

I'm also a watch person. When I can't find my watch when I go out, I feel weird not wearing one. If I wanted a super fancy watch, it would need to be a weapon. Classy. Bond style.
I haven't been wearing one in a couple of months (mind broke and I can't really afford a new one right now) and it sucks.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Isnt this what Apple did with the Nano?

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
I haven't worn a watch in years. I have maybe 30 watches
sitting in my dresser with dead batteries. Gave up using
them when cell phones got small enough to carry in your
pocket. My phone does all that so the watch is useless.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Cool gadget, would never wear it. It's not much harder to stick my hand in my pocket to grab my phone, and then bring it up to look at it. Not to mention I already have enough shit to charge.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
im kind of surprised that someone hasn't come out with a watch phone, dick tracy style, just have to always use a blue tooth or some such thing, voice recognition is pretty decent now days, i love my cell phone but i have always thought they were way too big, (i remember whey the bag phones were all the rage) even now i have a "smaller" smart phone

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
NW Ohio
This reminds me of the stupid watch I had in high school that was the remote for my car's keyless entry/alarm. Thought I was so cool.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
im kind of surprised that someone hasn't come out with a watch phone, dick tracy style, just have to always use a blue tooth or some such thing, voice recognition is pretty decent now days, i love my cell phone but i have always thought they were way too big, (i remember whey the bag phones were all the rage) even now i have a "smaller" smart phone
These are kind of like that, they link with your phone and have a lot of linked functions like music and caller ID on the watch. I wouldn't be surprised to see a complete all-in-one watch/phone soon, though, especially with Bluetooth hands-free devices.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
It looks like Sony is ripping off a watch someone is developing with crowd-sourced funding.

[video=youtube;2FdaCxMcw_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FdaCxMcw_Y[/video]