SOPA Is Making A Comeback: Streaming Copy-written Material Could Be Felony

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
So if you've ever spent more than 5 minutes on Youtube, congratulations. You could be a newly minted felon.

http://www.uspto.gov/news/publications/copyrightgreenpaper.pdf

Page 45...

An additional hurdle to enforcement is the existence of an anomaly in the coverage of U.S. criminal law. While the willfully infringing reproduction and distribution of copyrighted works can be punished as a felony,234 willful violations of the public performance right are punishable only as misdemeanors.235 This discrepancy is an increasingly significant impediment. Since the most recent updates to the criminal copyright provisions, streaming (both audio and video) has become a significant if not dominant means for consumers to enjoy content online. The lack of potential felony penalties for criminal acts of streaming disincentivizes prosecution and undermines deterrence.236 The Administration and the Copyright Office have both called on Congress to amend the Copyright Act to ensure that illegal streaming to the public can be punished as a felony in the same manner as other types of criminal infringement.237 The Task Force now repeats that call.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/07/unauthorized-streaming-felony_n_3720479.html

Department of Commerce's Internet Policy Task Force last week proposed making it a felony to stream copyrighted works. Such a provision, if interpreted broadly, could apply to people who upload covers of themselves performing songs to YouTube without permission.

An earlier bill to criminalize streaming died in the Senate in 2011.
Criminalizing streaming was then made a key component of the much-maligned Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), which sought to stem the spread of copyrighted material on the Web. Opponents, with the support of Google, Reddit and other large websites, said the bill threatened free speech online and mounted a protest campaign that culminated with President Barack Obama announcing that he would not support the legislation.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Anyone who backs these bills and proposals should be thrown out of office forever.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Let's file an amicus brief on behalf of HitW.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Why is "copyrighted" such a hard word for people to wrap their heads around? I mean, you're talking about the right to copy. How does that get perverted into "copywritten"?

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
Why is "copyrighted" such a hard word for people to wrap their heads around? I mean, you're talking about the right to copy. How does that get perverted into "copywritten"?

Well, a writ is much like a subpoena or summons, so clearly if you copy something you will be 'written', or brought to justice for the infraction.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
And why do people always talk about hot water heaters? Why heat water if it is already hot?
And why do people talk about shooting a deer in the front shoulder? Is there a rear shoulder?
Huh?

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
And why do people always talk about hot water heaters? Why heat water if it is already hot?
Why do they call them buildings if they are already done building them?

jimmyslostchin

Malarkey is slang for bullshit isn't it?
Jun 8, 2005
NJ
I'm good, I use bodywasha. I'll see myself out.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Why do they call them buildings if they are already done building them?
Drive on parkways and park on driveways!

Then you go to spell "one" and even though there's a W sound, there's no W in the word! Then you go to spell "two" and there's the fucking W"!

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
Jumbo....skrimp.
I have an app on my phone that lets you watch full length movies on foriegn yootoob from countries with different laws. I'm going to be publicly executed.