Sous Vide cooking

Dikbag

Got the Sansaire brand sous vide machine. Used it for the first time today. I used the same Kroger NY Strips I have grilled in the past. As far as tenderness and juicyness, it was the best steak I've ever made (not saying much). Not quite filet tender, but not hard to pull apart with a fork, the fat was closer to prime rib than grilled strip steak fat. I didn't marinade it, just some salt pepper and a little minced garlic. hour and a half in the sansaire and seared with a blow torch. Which is fun and effective. There was something lacking in flavor though, which is smoke from the grill i assume. I'll play with some simple marininade overnight but the results I got are promising, I may never grill a steak again.

Anyone else use one of these?

I'f you have no idea what I'm talking about, google it! sous vide

I use the anova. I agree that what you often gain in tenderness with meat, you lose in flavor, especially compared to grilling.

You may actually find your results more satisfying with something like chicken breast. I like it for that.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Dikbag

I use the anova. I agree that what you often gain in tenderness with meat, you lose in flavor, especially compared to grilling.

You may actually find your results more satisfying with something like chicken breast. I like it for that.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Whats your time and temp for chicken breast? I did 140 for 2 hrs and it had had a slight pink color all the way through, and a slimey raw texture and odor.

Whats your time and temp for chicken breast? I did 140 for 2 hrs and it had had a slight pink color all the way through, and a slimey raw texture and odor.
I have poached chicken but never used a machine, aren't you supposed to have the liquid at same temp as desired doneness? So wouldn't white meat be 160-165, 170 dark? I know you can easily overcook chicken at simmering temps if you leave it in there too long.

Dikbag

I have poached chicken but never used a machine, aren't you supposed to have the liquid at same temp as desired doneness? So wouldn't white meat be 160-165, 170 dark? I know you can easily overcook chicken at simmering temps if you leave it in there too long.
I may have undercooked it as I'm learning still, but pasteurization is a formula of time and temp 130 degrees will kill salmonella or any bacteria over time, 165 kills everyting in 10 seconds. I'll find the chart I was looking at.

I may have undercooked it as I'm learning still, but pasteurization is a formula of time and temp 130 degrees will kill salmonella or any bacteria over time, 165 kills everyting in 10 seconds. I'll find the chart I was looking at.
I get that, about killing bacteria/virii, but as far as cooking I'm pretty sure I recall the temp of the heating liquid is supposed to be at the temp of done. So a mid-rare steak would be significantly lower than chicken. Medium chicken is probably as bad as chewing on a steak that is cooler than rare.

Dikbag

Ok i get you, I just cooked chick medium rare, gross. lol. Waiting for wireless wine to tell me what he does. Most things I find online is what I did.

NotSoFast

130 degrees mat kill bacteria, but it's still slimy and gross. There's more to cooking than making it to technically safe to eat.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
I get that, about killing bacteria/virii, but as far as cooking I'm pretty sure I recall the temp of the heating liquid is supposed to be at the temp of done. So a mid-rare steak would be significantly lower than chicken. Medium chicken is probably as bad as chewing on a steak that is cooler than rare.
My moms BF cooked chicken cutlets in a regular frying pan for xmas and that shit was medium at best. He assured me that it was cooked (along with my entire family but if you think wackbag doesnt like me...) but it almost had a snap to it. I literally choked it down so as to not offend the assholes but it wasnt even pink, just fucking raw.

Hijack over, OP, congrats on your expensive cooky thing.

Yeah sometimes you just can't follow instructions and timings of a recipe, there can be too many variables. Though a sous vide machine should fix that problem, it's kind of the point.

That's why I bought one of those thermapens, that fucker will pull a temp within a second or two. As long as you're checking it it prior to overcooking usually you can pull off a perfect doneness (don't forget the rest time and carryover cooking). I find this greatly enables my ability to run a grill or turkey fryer whilst being completely hammered drunk.

I have Thomas Keller's sous vide cookbook. I do plan on cooking from it eventually, I just go through my celebrity chef cookbooks alphabetically (I'm on Hugh Acheson, so it'll be a while).

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
I googled it. Apparently you just boil your steak. I'll try it. Yum.

Oh, and congratulations on finally smoking out @wirelesswine and getting him to post.

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
I googled it. Apparently you just boil your steak. I'll try it. Yum.

They lined us up in front of a hundred yards of prime rib. All of us, you know, lined up and looking at it. Magnificent meat! Really! Beautifully marbled... magnifique! Next thing, they're throwing the meat into these big cauldrons. All of it, boiling it. I looked inside, man, and it was turning gray. I couldn't fuckin' believe that one!

NotSoFast

Fill a small cooler with about 3-5 gallons of 130 degree water. Place steak in a zip lock bag. Drop in water, shut lid. Wait one hour. Remove steak. Sear directly on red hot coals. Perfect medium rare steak every time. No need to buy an expensive cooker.

If cooking directly on coals isn't going to fly with the lady of the house, Get a charcoal starter basket and get it roaring hot where the flames are jetting up out of the top. Place a grill grate on top. 30 seconds on each side should do nicely.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

They lined us up in front of a hundred yards of prime rib. All of us, you know, lined up and looking at it. Magnificent meat! Really! Beautifully marbled... magnifique! Next thing, they're throwing the meat into these big cauldrons. All of it, boiling it. I looked inside, man, and it was turning gray. I couldn't fuckin' believe that one!
mangos man, never get off the fucking boat.

Dikbag

Fill a small cooler with about 3-5 gallons of 130 degree water. Place steak in a zip lock bag. Drop in water, shut lid. Wait one hour. Remove steak. Sear directly on red hot coals. Perfect medium rare steak every time. No need to buy an expensive cooker.
I did see that, but didn't find $100 to be expensive and it was a gift

Haeder

South Dakota
Sous Vide sounds terrible. Who wants boiled food.
Incompetent cooks.

Fuck you and your stupid meatboiler. Cooking meat isn't that hard. Grill on medium high for 10 minutes to preheat with the lid closed, season steak and begin grilling, steak will sizzle if the grill is hot enough, grill with the lid open until steak begins to bleeed, flip steak and cook until it begins to bleed again, remove from grill and eat. Steak should be medium rare.

Meat, especially good meat, deserves better than boiling until cadaver colored.

I shouldn't be running down your thread so badly. Sorry. It's just that I really enjoy cooking and what you are doing makes my cooking gland hurt. This post was more reactionary than rational.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I can see a use for it, ever have a dry pot roast? I can see it as a great alternative for a crock pot which has always been elusive to me when it comes to consistency, that is a great alternative when cooking some horrible tough cut of meat like game, but to put a decent cut of meat in that contraption, turning it into a mushy blob of goop is just heriasy.

So this one crawled up my ass, A a picky eater was coming for a visit, what is the best way to defeat a picky eater? Buy a whole filet, boneless chicken breasts, so it's easier to individually tailer each plate to the diner instead of making one giant meal (I'm used to dealing with picky eaters, like ocd level picky.... Like don't use a wooden spoon or don't cook onions In the same pan or even cut them with the same knife on the same board..... Ever wonder why I have 10 cutting boards all plastic?)

So I am trimming the filet, my picky eater, is watching utterly fascinated because she has never seen one whole being prepared, I asked her how thick she wanted her steak.... She points to the tail section and says " I want to just throw that whole chunk in the crock pot....... Because you know old people can't chew all that well" she's 65........ Not old, just clueless. I thought my head was going to pop off. I asked her if she knew what cut of meat it was " oh it doesn't matter they are all tough, you have to crock pot them to make it tender enough to chew, and it's the only way to cook it enough to kill the germs" then she goes off about how well done is the only way to eat meat.

Well right at that moment a nice steak tartar with a raw egg was in order ;).

Oh and I did make the steak, and she actually raved about it. Imagine that.. Someone that knows how
To cook can make something you generally don't like into some thing delicious ..... Take note shit stirring sack of cunt Sam Roberts

Mags

A.K.A. Chad
Donator
Incompetent cooks.

Fuck you and your stupid meatboiler. Cooking meat isn't that hard. Grill on medium high for 10 minutes to preheat with the lid closed, season steak and begin grilling, steak will sizzle if the grill is hot enough, grill with the lid open until steak begins to bleeed, flip steak and cook until it begins to bleed again, remove from grill and eat. Steak should be medium rare.

Meat, especially good meat, deserves better than boiling until cadaver colored.

I shouldn't be running down your thread so badly. Sorry. It's just that I really enjoy cooking and what you are doing makes my cooking gland hurt. This post was more reactionary than rational.
Hell I broil good meat in the oven and it comes out great. Boiling? :eek: