Sous Vide cooking

Dikbag

Surprised at the anger until I remembered where I was.

No one is boiling meat, the water is not boiling nor touching the meat.

Whats your time and temp for chicken breast? I did 140 for 2 hrs and it had had a slight pink color all the way through, and a slimey raw texture and odor.
Try a higher temp, perhaps. It's been at while since I've tinkered with it, but I believe it was at 150 degrees.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
what is the best way to defeat a picky eater?
A baseball bat to the head usually works.

If you're not paying for the food, you have no right to criticize it or demand that it is prepared a certain way. Either eat it or politely decline.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Not expecting to wow you here but it's hardly boiled to cadaver color.
It's pretty close to cadaver color...

I have a french friend who cooks Sous-Vide...he does all sorts of fancy stuff...I am not a fan of the still bleeding beef but for those who are it's apparently heavenly.

and with some creamy potatoes and sauce

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Anyone who eats under-cooked chicken deserves the shits they'll surely get.

maz

TRueWDTer
Not expecting to wow you here but it's hardly boiled to cadaver color.
Meat tastes like murder
And murder tastes pretty damn good

Just put some more salt on it

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
Chicken breast need to go to 155. Pull and rest it and the carry over will take it to 160.

I'm not against sous vide, but I was taught classicly and primarily stick to those methods. Sous vide can work if done well but the vast majority don't know how to do that.

Can't you sous vide for the primary cook then finish on a grill? Especially a really thick steak could be brought nearly to temp in the bath then seared for a few seconds on a super hot grill. That would get your char and smoke but ensure a perfect middle. Though it seems like a lot of work for something that I can do pretty well without the $100 bathwater stirring machine.

NotSoFast

Chicken breast need to go to 155. Pull and rest it and the carry over will take it to 160.

I'm not against sous vide, but I was taught classicly and primarily stick to those methods. Sous vide can work if done well but the vast majority don't know how to do that.
There is no carry over in sous vide. The water would just be set to 160 degrees.

I use a spackle bucket, heafty bags, and a heating pad. You calling me unprofessional? Fuck you.

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
I use a spackle bucket, heafty bags, and a heating pad. You calling me unprofessional? Fuck you.
Well, if you used Hefty bags there would be no problem. It's the heafty ones that make you look like a hack.

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
I picked up a sous vide machine the other day and made a steak with it last night. Set it for 130 degrees for 2 hours. Took it out and finished it in a searing pan. Only seasoned it with salt and pepper.

It was the the best steak I've ever cooked in my life. I can grill just fine, but something about the sous vide method made it so the entire steak was a perfect medium rare. It was delicious.

Reading through this thread, it's like people don't understand it's a different method of cooking. It's not boiling meat (you'd be insane to cook steak at 212 degrees using this method). You put it in a receptacle (In my case a stock pot) where you literally can't overcook it if you set the temp correctly. The only issue is that you have to reverse sear it because it WILL look like a boiled piece of meat otherwise.

Sure it takes longer than putting it on a stove or a grill or a broiler, but I can't argue with the results. Tender and full of flavor.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
I picked up a sous vide machine the other day and made a steak with it last night. Set it for 130 degrees for 2 hours. Took it out and finished it in a searing pan. Only seasoned it with salt and pepper.

It was the the best steak I've ever cooked in my life. I can grill just fine, but something about the sous vide method made it so the entire steak was a perfect medium rare. It was delicious.

Reading through this thread, it's like people don't understand it's a different method of cooking. It's not boiling meat (you'd be insane to cook steak at 212 degrees using this method). You put it in a receptacle (In my case a stock pot) where you literally can't overcook it if you set the temp correctly. The only issue is that you have to reverse sear it because it WILL look like a boiled piece of meat otherwise.

Sure it takes longer than putting it on a stove or a grill or a broiler, but I can't argue with the results. Tender and full of flavor.
2 hours to cook a stupid steak? The Dr. sous machine is like Bizarro Insant Pot.

The only real advantage to sous vide is that you can have a perfectly cooked steak sitting there for hours and eliminate under/over cooking fuck-ups when cooking large quantities of food/steak.

All of that is perfect for a restuarant kitchen, but not a concern when you're cooking a few steaks at home. How retarded do you have to be to fuck up a couple of stupid steaks in your own kitchen such that it justifies buying a fancy gadget that takes hours to cook a few dumb steaks?

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
2 hours to cook a stupid steak? The Dr. sous machine is like Bizarro Insant Pot.

The only real advantage to sous vide is that you can have a perfectly cooked steak sitting there for hours and eliminate under/over cooking fuck-ups when cooking large quantities of food/steak.

All of that is perfect for a restuarant kitchen, but not a concern when you're cooking a few steaks at home. How retarded do you have to be to fuck up a couple of stupid steaks in your own kitchen such that it justifies buying a fancy gadget that takes hours to cook a few dumb steaks?
I did it for 2 hours, but I could've had it done in an hour. Depends on the thickness. I am not in a rush here. Plus, the device was like $65. I did it as an experiment.

What I got out of it last night was how tender it was. I could never get it that tender doing it the other way. Plus, if I shell out extra dough for a steak (Not a Top Round, we're talking Ribeyes, Filet Mignon, Waygu), I'd rather be sure it's the perfect temp than fuck it up.

I am interested in the Instant Pot, though.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
I did it for 2 hours, but I could've had it done in an hour. Depends on the thickness. I am not in a rush here. Plus, the device was like $65. I did it as an experiment.

What I got out of it last night was how tender it was. I could never get it that tender doing it the other way. Plus, if I shell out extra dough for a steak (Not a Top Round, we're talking Ribeyes, Filet Mignon, Waygu), I'd rather be sure it's the perfect temp than fuck it up.

I am interested in the Instant Pot, though.
Well, as long as it was for science, I'll give you a pass.

NotSoFast

It helps to get a good medium rare all the way through. Instead of grilling/broiling for 5 minutes per side and half the thickness getting over done so the middle is perfect, it starts out perfect all the way through and you reverse sear for less time so the "more done" areas are almost eliminated. Red hot cast iron skillet or a grate directly on top of a charcoal chimney for maybe one minute per side.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes

Well it also keeps the meat from drying out. It really makes an amazing steak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
Well it also keeps the meat from drying out. It really makes an amazing steak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
And honestly, if you decide to get a really expensive piece of meat, I sure as hell don't want to risk fucking it up. I'd rather wait longer than cook it normally and possibly overcook it.

Sometimes patience is necessary.