Sous Vide cooking

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Well, I tried it, meh, it worked as advertised, my fuck up was I ran out of fucking propane while In was browning the steaks, not a huge deal because they were almost done but I didn’t get quite the crust I was looking for, I also tried a new seasoning

I rarely use this type of shit but I have had a few less than delicious steaks from Costco lately and found if I cheat a little they become more palatable, it was ok, I will use it again, I also seasoned two others with my “regular” seasoning.
To me the souse vid was not worth it because I prefer my steaks screaming bloody rare, (purple but not cold) my wife prefers medium (full medium, red throughout but firm) that is exactly how they came out, I did not notice any more tenderness.
My next attempt is going to be that rump roast, I’ve always struggled with making roast beef rare enough for me but crunchy on the outside, I plan on using the Souse vid to cook it to the rare I want then put it on my rotisserie for a few minutes to brown the outside.
My other problem is pork tenderloins I just can’t quite get them “right” I either burn them or they are raw (raw pork yuck)
If I can get the pork “just right” then sear it on my infrared burner

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Donator
I'm going to try the pineapple method and see what happens. I'm curious. I'm not buying another gadget.

THE FEZ MAN

I'm going to try the pineapple method and see what happens. I'm curious. I'm not buying another gadget.
I would have never bought it, I’m with you I don’t need another thing to clog up my limited cabinet space

ruckstande

Donator
Just attempted pineapple tenderizing tonight for the first time ever. Who needs a souvide(?) Fucking fantabulous.

ruckstande

Donator
Does it taste like pineapple? Cause that sounds terrible.
No not at all. You puree a pineapple including the skin sans cap and base. Take your room temperature steak and cover it with the goop for 1/2 to 1 hour. No more or else you'll have problems.. It breaks the fat down so that the steak turns buttery soft. You just wash off all of the pineapple and pat it dry really well. Grill that shit. My only mistake was I should have tied the steak to keep from falling apart. There is no pineapple flavor at all.

THE FEZ MAN

No not at all. You puree a pineapple including the skin sans cap and base. Take your room temperature steak and cover it with the goop for 1/2 to 1 hour. No more or else you'll have problems.. It breaks the fat down so that the steak turns buttery soft. You just wash off all of the pineapple and pat it dry really well. Grill that shit. My only mistake was I should have tied the steak to keep from falling apart. There is no pineapple flavor at all.
Papaya will do the same thing

THE FEZ MAN

He's doing a really unnecessarily complicated version of sprinkling this stuff on it.

Yep, sprinkle that nasty shit on stab the hell out of it and it will be mush in no time, same with the papaya, as a matter of fact I do believe that the main ingredient is the Magic chemical found in papaya

THE FEZ MAN

Meat craves salt, but it’s not so much salty as “chemically” if you just taste it alone
I’m not a fan of it at all, but I have it in the rack, the only time I use it is on London broil which I don’t personally like without heavy marinades and occasional I will add it to kebab meat that I’m not sure about, what it does is make the outside almost mushy in texture, and if you leave something soak in it to long the entire piece of meat will get really unpalatably mushy.

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
Well, I tried it, meh, it worked as advertised, my fuck up was I ran out of fucking propane while In was browning the steaks, not a huge deal because they were almost done but I didn’t get quite the crust I was looking for, I also tried a new seasoning

I rarely use this type of shit but I have had a few less than delicious steaks from Costco lately and found if I cheat a little they become more palatable, it was ok, I will use it again, I also seasoned two others with my “regular” seasoning.
To me the souse vid was not worth it because I prefer my steaks screaming bloody rare, (purple but not cold) my wife prefers medium (full medium, red throughout but firm) that is exactly how they came out, I did not notice any more tenderness.
My next attempt is going to be that rump roast, I’ve always struggled with making roast beef rare enough for me but crunchy on the outside, I plan on using the Souse vid to cook it to the rare I want then put it on my rotisserie for a few minutes to brown the outside.
My other problem is pork tenderloins I just can’t quite get them “right” I either burn them or they are raw (raw pork yuck)
If I can get the pork “just right” then sear it on my infrared burner
I know your propane went out, but what stopped you from cooking the steaks to 129 or whatever rare is to you and then keeping hers on the grill a tad longer so she gets her medium?

THE FEZ MAN

I know your propane went out, but what stopped you from cooking the steaks to 129 or whatever rare is to you and then keeping hers on the grill a tad longer so she gets her medium?
This was a test run to see if it worked at all, my “goal” is to finish everything at the same time, being a hausfrau is tough work!
When I’m grilling I will usually start hers first, she gets 4mins a side, then I will add mine for 5mins a side so she gets 18, I get 10, that’s with a 1-1 1/2” steak.
If I can get the timing down right with the souse vid I can trim the process down to 10 mins total, I’m willing to have my steak slightly over done to insure that hers is perfect, my wife isn’t a big steak eater so it’s challenging to make a steak that she will enjoy.

So the next time I will do it as you suggested, cook them to my level of rare, then start hers first and when hers is done I will add mine for the char.
Honestly I could souse vid hers to medium then add my steak to the water for about 20mins to just warm it up then add my char, I like my steak still mooing

THE FEZ MAN

So, I tried out the Sous vid again, but didn’t do as originally planned, I did lower the finished temperature, what I neglected to do was dry the steaks, this resulted in a flare up that I wasn’t expecting, so I had to pull them before getting the char I wanted mastering the stupid infrared burner on my grill is still being elusive.
I’m going to try chicken breasts today, I’m going to use my “Mexican” seasoning and Sous vid them till done then brown them on the grill.

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
So, I tried out the Sous vid again, but didn’t do as originally planned, I did lower the finished temperature, what I neglected to do was dry the steaks, this resulted in a flare up that I wasn’t expecting, so I had to pull them before getting the char I wanted mastering the stupid infrared burner on my grill is still being elusive.
I’m going to try chicken breasts today, I’m going to use my “Mexican” seasoning and Sous vid them till done then brown them on the grill.
Yeah, you have to pat those babies dry. Otherwise you won’t get the crust that would be ideal.

Last edited:

THE FEZ MAN

Yeah, you have to pay those babies dry. Otherwise you won’t get the crust that would be ideal.
I have an extra cast iron pan I’m thinking of refinishing/re seasoning and using in conjunction with the infrared burner, I actually prefer a “pan finished” (crusted) steak over a steak grilled on gas, charcoal is another thing completely, i might start doing that also but waiting on the grill to cook down is annoying

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
I have an extra cast iron pan I’m thinking of refinishing/re seasoning and using in conjunction with the infrared burner, I actually prefer a “pan finished” (crusted) steak over a steak grilled on gas, charcoal is another thing completely, i might start doing that also but waiting on the grill to cook down is annoying
How'bout you huck that ridiculously over-priced and useless pot of warm water in the trash where it belongs?

THE FEZ MAN

How'bout you huck that ridiculously over-priced and useless pot of warm water in the trash where it belongs?
My mommy bought it for me so I have to pretend I like it.
I used it chicken tonight, meh it worked ok, I always dry out those cheep ass Costco boneless chicken breasts