Southwest Airlines makes man change his "Master Baiter" T-shirt

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
TAMPA, Florida (AP) -- Southwest Airlines said it will apologize to a passenger who was told he would be removed from a flight if he didn't change clothes, the second time in recent months the budget carrier has been forced to do so.

Joe Winiecki, of Largo, Florida, boarded a Southwest flight in Columbus, Ohio, wearing a fictional fishing shop T-shirt which featured the words, "Master Baiter."

Winiecki, who was traveling home, said he was in his seat when an employee told him he had to change his T-shirt, turn it inside out, or get off the plane.

Winiecki protested that the airline was infringing on his right to free speech, but changed his shirt fearing he would miss the flight and a day's work.

Southwest spokesman Chris Mainz said Friday the employee made a mistake because the Dallas-based airline does not have a dress code.

The airline apologized this summer after a college student wearing a denim miniskirt and a sweater over a tank top was told to change her outfit or get off a flight departing from San Diego.

Kyla Ebbert, who was 23, told the story on "The Dr. Phil Show." She was read a printed apology from Southwest Chief Executive Gary Kelly on the show.

Ebbert was allowed to fly after agreeing to alter her outfit. The airline offered Ebbert free tickets and tried to make light of the mix-up in humorous advertising.

Ebbert declined the tickets.

After the Ebbert encounter, Southwest President Colleen Barrett sent employees a generally worded e-mail reminding them that the airline has no dress code, Mainz said.

Southwest, like other airlines, has language in its contract of carriage that states it reserves the right to deny service to customers whose clothing is "lewd, obscene or patently offensive."

Airline officials have discussed giving employees more specific examples of what is considered lewd or offensive, Mainz said

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
UGH! Next Time I fly ....I am wearing a football shirt with qqqq or Mad Bomber on it and sue the fuck out of them if I get removed!

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i would have recorded the entire exchange on my cell phone, including them removing me from the plane, i for one am getting sick and tired of people telling me what to do

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
Southwest flights are filled with trash anyway, so what do they expect?

It's stupid that he was asked to change, but take some fucking pride in yourself when you travel. If the plane goes down and they all die, I would not want to be identified by my truck stop shirt.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston

It's stupid that he was asked to change, but take some fucking pride in yourself when you travel. If the plane goes down and they all die, I would not want to be identified by my truck stop shirt.

plus your lucky thong...

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island

Having been down to the Tampa suburbs recently (my parents actually live in Largo), I can tell you that this guy's shirt fits in perfectly there. Even the major department stores have redneck-wear like that.

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
Masturbater, el oh el!!!

What's the mindset behind this kind of censorship? It can't be "protect the children!" becuase either a kid is too young to understand it, or they already know what it means so there is nothing to protect them from.

Although he should have at least been tazed for thinking that was a good shirt.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
What's the problem with the airline wanting to remove him? I don't get it. He had on a shirt they didn't like, it's their plane, he can change or leave.

Yeah the airline overreacted, but they didn't do anything wrong aside from their over-sensitivity.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
YECH to both sides of this.
X2...and, :clap:

If you are the type of person who thinks these shirts are witty, please shoot yourself.

But having said that, despite the fact a company has the right the refuse service to anyone was the dumb-fuck's shirt really that big of a deal?

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
I don't get it. They have a policy that says they can refuse service to someone with offensive clothing.

So why did they apologize?

JimsInfectedEye

That's very hurtful, sir.
May 21, 2005
Philadelphia
I don't get it. They have a policy that says they can refuse service to someone with offensive clothing.

So why did they apologize?
"Offensive clothing" doesn't have a definition.

Lets say you walked on the jet with an O&A Virus shirt. Attendant sees it and remembers something about the show, I dunno, maybe some news story about the Condolezza Rice incident. He deems the shirt "offensive" and orders you to take it off or get off the plane.

Its a hazy rule, thats whats causing this bullshit. "Master Baiter" technically isn't offensive in the way its worded, but we all know what its intent is.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
really what the fuck is wrong with people, did the cunt that complained feel that she was helping society? im just sick of this shit, why is it that people need to be the "taste" police? every one seems to forget that this country was founded on the rights of the individual, these ass holes need to be corn holed and hung out to dry

KingTheoden84

Jun 9, 2007
Private company so they set the rules for being a passenger. Period. You can kick someone out of your store or refuse service for pretty much any reason (save race, gender, gayness, etc).

When I fly, I usually dress up often for reasons other than the flight. It's gotten to the point that it is simply a habit that I slap on a jacket and tie, whether or not it is required for my immediate arrival. For me it's a respect thing personally, but ultimately it is up to the airline.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
but thats just it, it wasn't the air line, it was some born again cunt that didn't like the shirt i could understand if he was wearing clothes that had fake hand grenades hanging off them or spikes on a leather jacket or some other "safety issue" but its not, hell i would even maybe agree if it had some blatant threat on it like, "i want to skull fuck your dead baby" but "master baiter" come on this is clearly a case of cunt.
as for "dressing up" fuck that shit, when i fly i ware decent shoes, and clothes that don't readily burn. usually a pair of jeans that arn't ripped or frayed, and a flannel shirt, or my canvas button down, if that plane goes down im not wearing some polyester flame suit or a noose around my neck

thrawn42

Hackmaster Jones Sr.
Jul 26, 2005
Seattle
I know my favourite show is Bass Masters.

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
"Offensive clothing" doesn't have a definition.

Lets say you walked on the jet with an O&A Virus shirt. Attendant sees it and remembers something about the show, I dunno, maybe some news story about the Condolezza Rice incident. He deems the shirt "offensive" and orders you to take it off or get off the plane.

Its a hazy rule, thats whats causing this bullshit. "Master Baiter" technically isn't offensive in the way its worded, but we all know what its intent is.
True, and in all honesty, I'd put up a massive fight, and I'd say "this is bullshit"... but in the end, it's a private company. They can kick off anyone for any reason. We don't have the RIGHT to use their service. We have the opportunity to, but it's not a RIGHT.

Now if I was walking through the airport (which is a city-run airport, right?) and some Southwest cunt ordered me to change my shirt... that'd be different. I'm in a public place, she can go shit in her hat. But once I set foot on that plane, it's their rules.