Special Forces nabs Anas Al-libi, Al-Qaeda planner of embassy attacks

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
US commandos raid terrorist hideouts in Libya, Somalia, capture senior al Qaeda official

U.S. commandos launched daring twin raids in Libya and Somalia on Saturday, capturing a senior al Qaeda official who allegedly planned 1998 embassy attacks in Kenya and Tanzania.

The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, initially reported that a “high-level target” also had been apprehended in the Somalia raid, but they later said it was unclear if that was the case.

But they said that U.S. Special Operations forces had captured Anas al Libi, a longtime al Qaeda member, in a pre-dawn raid near Tripoli, Libya. Al Libi, whose real name is Nazih Abdul-Hamed Nabih al-Ruqai'I, has been wanted for more than a decade by the U.S. and has a $5 million reward on his head.

Late on Saturday, the Pentagon confirmed al Libi had been captured.

"As the result of a U.S. counterterrorism operation, Abu Anas al Libi is currently lawfully detained by the U.S. military in a secure location outside of Libya," said Pentagon spokesman George Little.

Relatives of al Libi told The Associated Press he was seized by gunmen in a three-car convoy while he was parking his car outside his house. Al Libi’s brother, Nabih, told the AP that abductors smashed his car's window, seizing his gun before grabbing him and fleeing.

Nabih also told the agency that al Libi’s wife witnessed the kidnapping from a window and described the gunmen as foreign-looking armed "commandos."

Al Libi has been a member of al Qaeda since at least 1994 and was a confidante of Osama bin Laden. He also is a computer expert for the group and is believed to be one of the masterminds of the 1998 U.S. Embassy attacks in Kenya and Tanzania, which killed 12 Americans and more than 220 Kenyans. He has been indicted in New York in connection with the attacks and could ultimately be brought to the U.S. to stand trial.

The indictment alleges that al Libi and other members of al Qaeda discussed an attack against the embassy in Nairobi in late 1993. He is alleged to have conducted visual and photographic surveillance of the embassy that year. He is also accused of plotting in 1994 for attacks against the building then housing the U.S. Agency for International Development in Nairobi and against British, French and Israeli targets in Nairobi.

According to an FBI listing of most wanted terrorists, al Libi was born in Tripoli and used birthdates of March 30, 1964, and May 14, 1964. He had lived in Britain, where he had political asylum, and was arrested there in 1999 – then freed because no evidence could be found to hold him, according to a report in the Telegraph newspaper.

In 2002, there were reports that he had been killed in Afghanistan or arrested by the Sudanese government, but U.S. officials denied those reports.

CNN reported last fall that Western intelligence sources said he had returned to Tripoli from Iran, where he had lived for years.

Raid in SomaliaIn discussing the Somalia raid, the sources initially declined to identify the target of the operation, but later acknowledged that the U.S. forces were looking for the leader of al Shabaab, Mukhtar Abu Zubeyr, also known as Ahmed Godane, but did not capture him. There were conflicting reports on whether any al Shabaab leaders were killed in the operation.

Pentagon spokesman George Little confirmed late on Saturday that U.S. forces were involved in an operation against a known al Shabaab terrorist.

"I can confirm that yesterday, October 4, U.S. military personnel were involved in a counterterrorism operation against a known al Shabaab terrorist. We are not prepared to provide additional detail at this time," Little said.

An American official told NBC News no U.S. personnel were injured or killed in the operation.

Early reports from the region said there was heavy gunfire during an assault by foreign forces on a building or complex in the southern Somali town of Barawe.

Al Shabaab, which is aligned with al Qaeda and based in Somalia, had claimed responsibility for the terrorist attack on the Westgate shopping mall that killed dozens of people in Nairobi, Kenya, two weeks ago.

U.S. Special Operations forces previously staged at least one other raid near Barawe.

On Sept. 14, 2009, a helicopter commando assault near the town killed alleged al-Qaida member Saleh Ali Nabhan, also suspected in the 1998 U.S. Embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania and the 2002 bombing of a resort hotel in Mombasa, Kenya.

He was killed when at least one U.S. Special Operations helicopter opened fire on a suspected al-Qaida convoy south of Mogadishu.

Ali Nabhan was also suspected of operating al-Qaida training camps inside Somalia, NBC News reported at the time.
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...somalia-capture-senior-al-qaeda-official?lite

I wonder how long until the picture of Obama playing Xbox during the live feed of the raid is leaked.

Also good to see we are bringing these fuckos to justice instead of solving problems with drones and Hellfires.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Good riddance, fuckers.

Other reports stating both raids were carried out by SEALs. I saw some grudging 'congrats' posts on Facebook earlier from some other branches. They're pissed they missed out on the fun again.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Another report I read said they missed the Kenya mall attack planner in Somalia. Hopefully they gathered enough intelligence to get him next time.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Another report I read said they missed the Kenya mall attack planner in Somalia. Hopefully they gathered enough intelligence to get him next time.
Luckily they were able to triangulate the vector on his position. Over and out.

jsc315

AnalCunt
Dec 8, 2004
Evergreen Park,IL
I read the guys name as Anus. I'm sure the smelly fuck smells as good as one. Fuck him!

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I read the guys name as Anus. I'm sure the smelly fuck smells as good as one. Fuck him!
You think the SEALs plan a water extraction instead of an air extraction for the real smelly cases? Tow him through the sea for a few miles to get the funk washed off before you spend days interrogating him.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
It's been revealed that DevGru was apart of this. I don't understand why the cunt in offices continues to announce what unit did secret operations.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
It's been revealed that DevGru was apart of this. I don't understand why the cunt in offices continues to announce what unit did secret operations.
What article did you see that stated that? If that's the case, interesting that that particular unit is the one always getting their name aired out, not some of the other special units out there.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Luckily they were able to triangulate the vector on his position. Over and out.
They'll find him. All they have to do is follow the trail of crumbs from the stolen Auntie Anne's Pretzels.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
They'll find him. All they have to do is follow the trail of crumbs from the stolen Auntie Anne's Pretzels.
Fucking starving......hey earl we got any Auntie Annes cinnamon sugar pretzels back there?

Georgie

Jul 10, 2013
No US casualties... that's bullshit... guess I'm helping TWO more families get what they deserve since the Obama administration wants to play politics....

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
No US casualties... that's bullshit... guess I'm helping TWO more families get what they deserve since the Obama administration wants to play politics....
What the fuck are you talking about, dingbat?

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
Thank you special Forces!

But our terrorist is in another mud hut!