Speculation Thread: Sirius buying-out XM soon?

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
There were several hints on today's show of the possible Sirius-XM buyout.

Does anyone have any info?

UsedLadBag

Your moms box.
Feb 4, 2005
Boston
Christmas... you heard it here first on Speculation Tuesday!

P.S. I don't need facts, I have a keyboard.

Jimmy's Junk

A hairy palmed pest
Apr 26, 2005
Lowell, In
Damn you Hoffman! A friend of mine works for the little doggie said they where told it is going through. Of course this was told to me over many adult beverages so take it as you will.

Freese

Ramone and Frunkis-Since '83
Oct 1, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Damn you, now meatspin.com is logged on the server at work. I hate you all.

ChrisH

Waddle Doodle
Jun 11, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Until the FCC and FTC (Federal Trade Comission) bless the merger, it can't happen. There have been indications recently that the FCC may be leaning towards allowing the merger, and both XM and doggie released poll results yesterday saying essentially that the public wants a merger:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/DC0265210092007-1.htm

EDIT: Just found this one as well: http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2007/09/11/xm-xmsr-sirius-siri-merger-decision-expected-shortly/

None of this is proof, however.

p.s. I fell for meatspin at work too.

cigarsandscotch

Smoke and drink up.
Jan 13, 2005
Middletown NJ
I was assuming the merger was dying the other week when O&A were putting the boots to Howie, and Elo had called in too during the Fox thing and that hadn't happened for a while either. But I got the feeling from Opie's tone today that meeting is about the meger happening. Shit, I do not want it to happen.

Oct 8, 2003
Chicago, IL
I was assuming the merger was dying the other week when O&A were putting the boots to Howie, and Elo had called in too during the Fox thing and that hadn't happened for a while either. But I got the feeling from Opie's tone today that meeting is about the meger happening. Shit, I do not want it to happen.
QFT

richwithhatred

Hater Of You!!!
Jul 25, 2005
Hell, OH
Fuck this!

if this shit goes through, it'll definitely become time to be 100% internet radio listener. I will NOT let my money be spent to fulfill the contracts of Howie or fuckin' Bubba the Cum Sponge. that just can't happen!

UsedLadBag

Your moms box.
Feb 4, 2005
Boston
if this shit goes through, it'll definitely become time to be 100% internet radio listener. I will NOT let my money be spent to fulfill the contracts of Howie or fuckin' Bubba the Cum Sponge. that just can't happen!
do what I did, cancel your sub and buy a used unit on ebay. I bought two to make destruction videos during the suspension and they we both still active. I've been listenning for free since.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
The FCC has 180 days to make a decision. Today, 9/11 is Day 95. According to this article: http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=470161
a decision is due within the next 60 - 90 days.

I'm hoping it's all speculation and that it's not going to go through. The NAB presented some very valid questions that weren't answered by the poll's alleged results showing that consumers were in favor of an a la carte pricing plan.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
People are saying that Hoo Hoo is buying XM for the sole purpose of FIRING ONA!!!!

All HEIL K-ROCK.

cigarsandscotch

Smoke and drink up.
Jan 13, 2005
Middletown NJ
excerp

XM (XMSR) - Sirius (SIRI) merger decision expected shortly
Posted Sep 11th 2007 11:41AM by Brent Archer
Filed under: Analyst reports, Deals, Good news, Industry, XM Satellite Radio (XMSR), Sirius Satellite Radio (SIRI), Options, Technical Analysis

XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ: XMSR) is higher this morning and has climbed recently as current investor buzz is that the merger with Sirius (NASDAQ: SIRI) looks more and more likely to succeed. Analysts have said the Department of Justice could make a ruling on the merger within the next month, and they believe there is a better than even money chance the merger will be approved.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
See, Congress does listen.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Do any of you folks with inside info of O&A know if their current contract protects them from being silenced as they were 5 years ago?

A scenario I see is Mel terminating the CBS contract because he's already said he doesn't want to share talent, and then waiting for the boys to do something outrageous, cancel the show, and make them sit out the balance of their XM contract. Is this scenario possible?

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
The FCC has 180 days to make a decision. Today, 9/11 is Day 95. According to this article: http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=470161
a decision is due within the next 60 - 90 days.

I'm hoping it's all speculation and that it's not going to go through. The NAB presented some very valid questions that weren't answered by the poll's alleged results showing that consumers were in favor of an a la carte pricing plan.
That poll sucked bags of dicks.

Did they tell the people they polled that the $6.99 a la carte plan only lets you pick from certain channels to make up your custom list of 50 choices? Did they tell you that the plan that lets you get channels from the other company for less than subscribing to both only includes 11 fucking channels from the other company (and they also aren't among the better choices)? Fuck Mel in his horse-toothed ass.