Spider Girl Gets Limbs Plucked.

greensnacks

Dec 20, 2004
news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071106/ap_on_re_as/india_eight_limbs_10
Video

BANGALORE, India - Doctors began operating Tuesday on a 2-year-old girl born with four arms and four legs in an extensive surgery that they hope will leave the girl with a normal body, a hospital official said.

The girl named Lakshmi (aka Charlotte) is joined to a "parasitic twin" that stopped developing in the mother's womb. The surviving fetus absorbed the limbs, kidneys and other body parts of the undeveloped fetus.

A team of 30 doctors was removing the extra limbs and organs. They have separated the fused spines and the next step will be to separate the extra limbs and then the rest of the "parasite," said Dr. Sharan Patil, the orthopedic surgeon leading the operation.

"As of now, the child has been responding very well," Patil said several hours into the operation.

Lakshmi is named after the four-armed Hindu goddess of wealth, and some in her village in the northern state of Bihar revere her.

"Everybody considers her a goddess at our village," said her father, Shambhu, who goes by one name. "All this expenditure has happened to make her normal. So far, everything is fine."

Others sought to make money from Lakshmi. Her parents kept her in hiding after a circus apparently tried to buy the girl, they said.

The complications for Lakshmi's surgery are myriad: The two spines are merged, she has four kidneys, entangled nerves, two stomach cavities and two chest cavities. She cannot stand up or walk.

"It's a big team effort of a lot of skilled surgeons who will be putting their heart and soul into solving the problem of Lakshmi," Patil said earlier in the day. "It's going to take many, many hours on a continuous basis to operate on the baby. So, these issues definitely make it complex."

Patil put the risk of losing Lakshmi between 20 and 25 percent.

Doctors at Sparsh Hospital in Bangalore, where the girl is undergoing surgery, said she is popular among the staff and patients.

"She's a very cute girl," Dr. Patil Mamatha said. "She's very playful and gets along well with others."

The hospital's foundation is paying for the operation because the girl's family could not afford the medical bills, Mamatha said.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
She's Dr. Octopus Girl. She fights Spider-Girl

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Stupid Indians thought she was a god because she has eight limbs and they started worshiping her and are building a temple in her name.

It's called a fucked up attempt of having twins. It's just the 2nd kid didn't split and didn't form a HEAD! It's a headless body flopping around that's connected to the kid. Fuck, people are stupid.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
You know what I love best about that link?

This is the caption under the photo:

AP Photo: Lakshmi, second from left, sits in her mother Poonam's lap as she poses next to...
Yeah, cause I would have never guessed she was the "spider girl" without you telling me that, AP. I think I could have sorted it out on my own which one she was by all of the oddly jutting limbs sprouting from all over her.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
You know what I love best about that link?

This is the caption under the photo:

Yeah, cause I would have never guessed she was the "spider girl" without you telling me that, AP. I think I could have sorted it out on my own which one she was by all of the oddly jutting limbs sprouting from all over her.
i thought it was the chick with the mustache.

Smokezilla

U. S. Backstroke Roulette Champion
Jul 30, 2005
BumFuck-Egypt, KY
She'll never get be able to persue a career working for Dell Customer Service with a parasitic twin. . . Cut 'er loose!!!:p

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
what are they gonna do with the extra organs?....I mean , are they working and viable for transplant?

May 7, 2003
Hicksville NY
Humm...I thought this story was gonna be about the two retards in Newark who tried to tie the bed sheets together and climb out a 5th story window cause her mom called the cops on them

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
Stupid Indians thought she was a god because she has eight limbs and they started worshiping her and are building a temple in her name.

It's called a fucked up attempt of having twins. It's just the 2nd kid didn't split and didn't form a HEAD! It's a headless body flopping around that's connected to the kid. Fuck, people are stupid.
Which is so much better than people in this country worshiping a tree because the bark of it remotely looks like a profile of some woman from 2000 years ago.

o&a addict84

Apr 5, 2007
Buffalo, New York
Ok, that was alot different then I thought it would be.:( I was hoping for the image in my head of two sets of arms had formed on the sides of her torso like a Spider-Man story a long time ago.