Movie Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Yeah there's the cycle of outrage that goes with anything related to everything. I don't want to have an opinion or hear anyone else's opinions on any of that. It's all just pretend nonsense, and I'm not talking about the movie.

I do like the angle that this redeems Lord and Miller somewhat from the Solo fiasco.

As for the movie, it seems like it has something for every generation of Spidey fans. Now that they finally got teen Spidey right, I'm looking forward to a world-weary, older version of Peter Parker. And of course I'm all about Spider-Ham. Many of the reviews I've read cite him as the highlight of the movie, although there's not enough of him. I still can't imagine seeing this in the theater, but I will definitely check it out when it eventually hits...Shit, this is a Sony movie, so it won't eventually hit anywhere. Maybe I'll see if I can take my nephew or something.
I think Lord and Miller were redeemed from the Solo fiasco when they got fired from Solo.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Has anyone seen this yet? Saw it with my kid last night. Other than being constantly distracted by the gap in Spider Gwen's teeth, I enjoyed it. In fact, if we're adding it to the MCU movie list, it would have to be somewhere in the upper 3rd of movies.

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
Has anyone seen this yet? Saw it with my kid last night. Other than being constantly distracted by the gap in Spider Gwen's teeth, I enjoyed it. In fact, if we're adding it to the MCU movie list, it would have to be somewhere in the upper 3rd of movies.
First, it’s not an MCU film.

Second, it’s pretty great. I loved it. Very well done.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Based on the Last Movie thread, it gave him constipation.

And while you might want to see Daredevil in the Hollandverse, I would love to see him in Spider-Verse 2. Really capture his crazy acrobantics.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
It wasn’t for me. I didn’t like the (I guess?) intentional blurriness. I didn’t feel like they did any of the characters any justice, especially Penny Parker and of course Peter Porker. Felt like they may have left a lot on the cutting room floor. I didn’t like how broken down old Peter’s only chance for happiness was making up with MJ and giving her babies. I didn’t like what they did with Piner Parker. I didn’t understand Miles’ relationship with his dad. I think there might have been a scene missing or cut out. Miles also struggled for too much of the movie only to suddenly be perfect Spider-Man at the end. Gwen was a Mary Sue...

Other than that it was fine.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Just saw this, lived up the hype.

Piggy is wrong.

Falldog

Donator
Even though Lehecka bashed me for trying to rank it among the MCU, where would you put it?
I don't think it would be proper to rank it with MCU, it's its own side story. But if we were ranking it in general I'd say it's better than Homecoming.

Pigdango

Donator
Just saw this, lived up the hype.

Piggy is wrong.
Was it blurry for you as well? I honestly didn’t know if that was intentional. Was really hard to focus on the movie when you’re wondering the entire time if there’s something wrong with the projector.

The bluriness extended to the tone as well. It was among the most tonally inconsistent movies I’ve ever seen, and I’ve done over 300 HitW’s.

Why did he stop speaking to his dad halfway through the movie?

Why did the comic book narration turn off after just a couple scenes?

Did his dad think he shot the Prowler in the back? (I did like the Prowler. He was neato)

Why wasn’t there more Spider-Ham?

Why did Gwen go to school in the wrong universe?

How was Mary Jane able to give such a calm eulogy after Piner Parker died? I know emotion is hard to convey in a cartoon, but draw a tear or something.

And how did they even find his body? Didn’t Kingpin say to get rid of it?

I get why people liked it I guess. Lots of style, and there are a lot of fun pieces and some very cool visuals when they weren’t making things blurry. But it doesn’t really measure up as an actual movie. You wouldn’t compare LEGO Batman to a real Batman movie other than to say one is a cartoon and one isn’t.

So there you go @MayrMeninoCrash - all the MCU movies however you rank them, and then this as it’s own separate thing. Not because it’s not in the MCU, but because it’s a fucking cartoon. Also, it was very clear they set this in the Raimi-verse. At least, that’s where Pine and Morales were from.

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
Was it blurry for you as well? I honestly didn’t know if that was intentional. Was really hard to focus on the movie when you’re wondering the entire time if there’s something wrong with the projector.

The bluriness extended to the tone as well. It was among the most tonally inconsistent movies I’ve ever seen, and I’ve done over 300 HitW’s.

Did his dad think he shot the Prowler in the back? (I did like the Prowler. He was neato)

How was Mary Jane able to give such a calm eulogy after Piner Parker died? I know emotion is hard to convey in a cartoon, but draw a tear or something.

I get why people liked it I guess. Lots of style, and there are a lot of fun pieces and some very cool visuals when they weren’t making things blurry. But it doesn’t really measure up as an actual movie. You wouldn’t compare LEGO Batman to a real Batman movie other than to say one is a cartoon and one isn’t.

So there you go @MayrMeninoCrash - all the MCU movies however you rank them, and then this as it’s own separate thing. Not because it’s not in the MCU, but because it’s a fucking cartoon. Also, it was very clear they set this in the Raimi-verse. At least, that’s where Pine and Morales were from.
It wasn’t blurry at all. You must’ve had a shit projectionist.

And Gwen was on the wrong universe because the Kingpin’s supercollider was already in testing and fucked up the dimensional portholes and whatnot as they converged on Miles’ dimension.

The other stuff I didn’t worry about because I had a crystal clear version of the movie played.

Pigdango

Donator
It wasn’t blurry at all. You must’ve had a shit projectionist.

And Gwen was on the wrong universe because the Kingpin’s supercollider was already in testing and fucked up the dimensional portholes and whatnot as they converged on Miles’ dimension.

The other stuff I didn’t worry about because I had a crystal clear version of the movie played.
I know why Gwen was in the wrong universe, I want to know why she went to school in the wrong universe. That made zero sense.

I gotta do some more investigating on this blurry thing.

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
I know why Gwen was in the wrong universe, I want to know why she went to school in the wrong universe. That made zero sense.

I gotta do some more investigating on this blurry thing.
Maybe she didn’t realize it was the wrong universe at first, then noticed things were weird, then went into detective mode. I never really questioned it.

Falldog

Donator

There was some stuff that was intentionally ghosted if that's what you mean.

He stopped talking to his dad like most teenagers who are lost and turn away from their authoritarian father.

The comic book narration was only supposed to be used in a few scenes to representing his developing spiderman abilities.

No

Because there's only so much time.

They explained that in the movie.

There are number of reasons. That's what you're going to nitpick?

It's like you didn't like the movie because it had colours and you're trying to find away to justify it to us.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
He stopped talking to his dad because he got weird powers and didn't know how to deal with them. It's called teenage angst

Gwen probably continued with her daily routine as a student after being thrown into a parallel universe until she could figure out what was going on

I agree...some silly nitpicks.

Pigdango

Donator
Here's the way I always look at the old "nitpick vs "valid" complaint" thing: It's an irrelevant conversation.

If a movie immerses you into it's universe and it's story, you don't question things. You just sort of go along with the story because you're invested in it and/or the characters. If a movie fails to immerse you into it's universe, then you're going to start asking questions about the story.

What I always find odd is when someone says "I didn't like this movie because..." and then they are attacked and/or dismissed for making "nitpicks."

If you go back and read what I wrote, the first thing I said was "It wasn't for me." That to me should eliminate the need to attack me for nitpicking or to tell me I was wrong. No, I'm not wrong. There's no such thing as being wrong here. The things I mentioned were things I was thinking about during the movie because it failed to immerse me in it's story. A lot of that was due to the blurriness or ghosting as @Falldog called it taking me right out of the movie. When you're sitting there thinking "Is the projector fucked up or are they doing this on purpose?" one thing is certain - you're NOT immersed in the movie. And from that point it's easy to tumble into questions, complaints, nitpicks, whatever you want to call them.

Let me give a couple of examples. I mentioned that I really enjoyed the Prowler scenes. He was easily the best part of the movie aside from Spider-Ham. If I sit and think about them now, they raise some questions. Like, why didn't the Prowler wonder why Spider-Miles was in his apartment? And why was Miles' Dad the first cop to show up at Aunt May's house when it was getting blown up? I never thought about those things during the movie because I really enjoyed those scenes. The movie may have even explained them. I don't even care. They are irrelevant questions because both scenes worked for me.

So if the movie worked for you, all of my questions are similarly irrelevant. And that's fine. Don't make you a bad person, and don't make me wrong for asking them. Not everyone has to like the same thing.

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
Here's the way I always look at the old "nitpick vs "valid" complaint" thing: It's an irrelevant conversation.

If a movie immerses you into it's universe and it's story, you don't question things. You just sort of go along with the story because you're invested in it and/or the characters. If a movie fails to immerse you into it's universe, then you're going to start asking questions about the story.

What I always find odd is when someone says "I didn't like this movie because..." and then they are attacked and/or dismissed for making "nitpicks."

If you go back and read what I wrote, the first thing I said was "It wasn't for me." That to me should eliminate the need to attack me for nitpicking or to tell me I was wrong. No, I'm not wrong. There's no such thing as being wrong here. The things I mentioned were things I was thinking about during the movie because it failed to immerse me in it's story. A lot of that was due to the blurriness or ghosting as @Falldog called it taking me right out of the movie. When you're sitting there thinking "Is the projector fucked up or are they doing this on purpose?" one thing is certain - you're NOT immersed in the movie. And from that point it's easy to tumble into questions, complaints, nitpicks, whatever you want to call them.

Let me give a couple of examples. I mentioned that I really enjoyed the Prowler scenes. He was easily the best part of the movie aside from Spider-Ham. If I sit and think about them now, they raise some questions. Like, why didn't the Prowler wonder why Spider-Miles was in his apartment? And why was Miles' Dad the first cop to show up at Aunt May's house when it was getting blown up? I never thought about those things during the movie because I really enjoyed those scenes. The movie may have even explained them. I don't even care. They are irrelevant questions because both scenes worked for me.

So if the movie worked for you, all of my questions are similarly irrelevant. And that's fine. Don't make you a bad person, and don't make me wrong for asking them. Not everyone has to like the same thing.
Is it possible you saw a 3D film and forgot your glasses?

Pigdango

Donator
Is it possible you saw a 3D film and forgot your glasses?
No. Although I did have the exact same thought. But there were other people in the theater and they didn't have 3D glasses either.

The blurriness was intentional.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...r-eggs-references-callbacks-behind-the-scenes

But viewers might not realize that the film’s background blur and occasional red and blue lines indicating a depth of field are an even more subtle comic-book reference. When developing the look for the film, production designer Justin Thompson drew inspiration from dye blur when “pages are printed off register.” As Rodney Rothman said: “We like the idea that we were taking things that were mistakes in comic books and making them part of the language of the movie.”
The visual style is what a lot of people liked about the movie. It just didn't work for me, and I wasn't ready for it because none of the clips they released showed it.

There's a guy who did a pretty spot on review that got savaged for being the first negative one that "ruined" it's 100% RT score. (10 others quietly followed since then.) Poor bastard took a beating for no reason.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
For reference, the biggest complaint I had heard about this film prior to Pig's opus, was that Gwen wore ballet slippers and she was not a ballerina...she's a member of a punk band.

Take that for what you will.