Movie Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
@Pigdango, you sang Aquaman's praise to the rafters and bitched about this movie? I don't get you.
That’s actually a perfect example of what I’m talking about. Aquaman almost lost me in the opening few minutes because the deaging of Jango Fett was so terrible. But after that they were able to draw me in. Could I come up with a list a mile long of complaints and nitpicks about Aquaman? Fuck yeah. Do I care about any of them after seeing Jason Momoa ride a seahorse? Fuck no.

And clearly many or even most people really enjoyed the animation style, and I’m sure a lot of people were thrilled to see Miles Morales finally come to life on the big screen. Not everything has to be for everyone, and that’s OK.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
What do your call a nitpick even when it's something obvious you don't understand or missed?

And of course Spider-Ham was Piggy's favorite part, it's a fucking pig.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
This is my favorite pop song in a while...

It's a pretty solid pop song. Not my thing, but I get it.

Tangential question...do you find pop music to be boring? I find I have difficulty listening to most of it, and that's including bands like The Beatles/Rolling Stones (The Kinks were always much more interesting to me).

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator

Tangential question...do you find pop music to be boring? I find I have difficulty listening to most of it, and that's including bands like The Beatles/Rolling Stones (The Kinks were always much more interesting to me).
Nope. There is just something about a really well done pop song that works for me.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator

I don't like most pop music but when a good one comes along, I suppose I like it more than anything else. I'm the same way with movies for the most part.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Nope. There is just something about a really well done pop song that works for me.
Fair enough. I'm sure I could rack my brain and come up with a few I like (my question really should have been, "do you find most pop music to be boring?")

Does John Maus count as pop? I enjoy a lot of his music.

I don't like most pop music but when a good one comes along, I suppose I like it more than anything else. I'm the same way with movies for the most part.
Do you tend to overplay it when you find one that really clicks with you? I know I do that.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator
Fair enough. I'm sure I could rack my brain and come up with a few I like (my question really should have been, "do you find most pop music to be boring?")
If we are defining pop music as to what you would normally hear on a Top 40 radio station, yeah than most of its bad and/or boring.

But if we are expanding the definition to music that is popular, i.e. commercial and/or the hits, then I wouldn't say its boring. But there is a such a thing as the music being overplayed.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
I know country, rap, opera, folk, and rock when I hear it, but I don't know exactly what "pop" is.
I'm sure there are numerous definitions out there, but I think of the genre as "generalized" music--music that's not being played for a specific group and utilizes current music trends.

Hell, you could almost say pop music is any music that's not country, rap, opera, folk, or rock.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I didn't think pop would be hard to define but the more I think about, it's not all that easy.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Here's a good example.. Is Life on Mars pop? I can't figure out if Bowie is all pop or none at all.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Here's a good example.. Is Life on Mars pop? I can't figure out if Bowie is all pop or none at all.
Oof, Bowie's a tough one. I wouldn't consider him pop because of how innovative he was (pop, to me, relies heavily on current musical trends...that's why a lot of them sound so similar), but there no denying he was a major influence on the genre.

Now, if we define pop as purely "popular music", Bowie's absolutely pop.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I didn't think pop would be hard to define but the more I think about, it's not all that easy.
There's two ways to look at it.

Pop music is simply the most popular music at any given time. That's weird, because it makes at least a couple of Metallica songs "pop music."

The other way to look at it would be to define pop by what it isn't: Rock, Rap, Hip Hop, Country, Blues, Soul, R&B, Classical, Metal, Disco, blah blah blah. By stripping out or blending all the identifying aspects of a genre of music, an artist is able to craft a more accessible "pop" song.

There's merits to both ways of looking at it.

Bowie isn't pop but some of his songs are. He crossed too many genres to be labeled under just one

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
There's two ways to look at it.

Pop music is simply the most popular music at any given time. That's weird, because it makes at least a couple of Metallica songs "pop music."

The other way to look at it would be to define pop by what it isn't: Rock, Rap, Hip Hop, Country, Blues, Soul, R&B, Classical, Metal, Disco, blah blah blah. By stripping out or blending all the identifying aspects of a genre of music, an artist is able to craft a more accessible "pop" song.

There's merits to both ways of looking at it.
I think 'pop' has to have a few elements to it. It has to be accessible in rhythm and music, nothing too discordant and no 15/8 time signatures. Needs to be in that magic 3-4 minute time with a recognizable hook. And intent also goes into it. Are you creating songs with the thought that you're gonna get teens bopping to it on their fandangled radios? Then you're creating pop.

By stripping out or blending all the identifying aspects of a genre of music, an artist is able to craft a more accessible "pop" song.
I think the blending aspect is very true.

Most music I hear on the radio is usually a conglomerate... MONGREL... MULATTA type of music! Both genres will be destroyed!

The most bizarre to me is when I hear country music with rap influences. I do remember Snopp Dog defending country music as being the most similar to rap because they both just talk about your day. I'm not sure if that still applies to modern rap.